Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

If you want to shoot with only one lens, get a point-and shoot. The reason for interchangeable lens cameras is to change the lenses. No one lens can suit all possible situations, indoors or outdoors. Driving around in strange places, I keep the DA18-250 on my camera -- that's my basic lens, and all others are specialty items. But indoors I may want the 16/2.8 or or 24/2 or 28/2 CF or 35/2 or 50/1.4 or 55/1.4 or 60/2.8 or 85/2 or 100/2.8 or 135/2.5 or whatever, depending on the situation. And on the lens, because they don't render the same way. Sure, OK, shoot with just one lens. But that is awfully limiting.

02-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I live in a different world--one where I prefer much longer lenses (my favorite being the FA 135mm f2.8.) but I've got a lot of space and go for close candid portraits. That said, if you like shorter FLs, I'd agree that you should consider unloading the 35mm macro and buying the 31mm.
02-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the need, the need for speed, the marketplace currently has two or three 50mm f/1.2's for sale.

mmmmmmmm f/1.2.....
03-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

FA31Ltd; I have used that as the only lens for the last Christmas' and newyear's family events, both indoors and outdoors, daytime and at night.

Field of view is perfect for me. Others already mentioned the Sigma 30/1.4 that might be worth a look.

50mm will be far too long for me for the situations that you describe. Your argument against the DA*55 mm also counts (nearly as much) against the fifties in your list.

03-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
"If you were to choose only ** ONE ** lens for indoor photography without flash, which would it be?"

I am looking for as fast as possible, yet not a bank-robbery type of price, lens. Max USD 1k.
I've bought Sigma 30 f/1.4 for exactly this and couldn't be happier.
03-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #21

Another vote for the Sigma 30mm 1.4. I recently acquired one off a forum member and it's been absolutely great for my indoor purposes.
03-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I just noticed you alrready have the DA35 f2.8. Hmmmm. Unless you like macro I don't think you'll have much use for the 35 if you buy a 31.
Don't know yet. Shooting those closeups seems to be a lot of fun. I got the DA 35 and DA 70 as together they were cheaper than the FA31 and offered the option of a longer focal length (which I appreciate).

If you need speed though get the 31 and consider selling the 35 macro for a 15.

A 15/31/70 is a very nice prime combination.
Yes, the DA 15 is on the shopping list already, though I was pondering the Sigma 10-20 as well (but will probably reject this option due to its size).

For now, I intend to keep the macro lens. I got it at a VERY good price, so financially it's ok to keep both.

By the way, I think you have LBA. Be careful.
Right. But I'm fooling myself that I only need 3 more (in this order of priority): a lens to shoot in low light (this thread), a lens for far away (50-135 or 200 fixed or 100 fixed) and a wide (the DA 15 tops the list here).

Luckily, I have only a small bag to carry the stuff around, and my wife REALLY hates when I spend too much on toys, so my sickness will resemble a sudden eruption with an almost instant recovery (I hope)
03-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Because it costs an arm and a leg?
It is jolly good, no doubt, but if doesn't have to be one of the best AF lenses in the world then one can save a quite some money or buy two excellent lenses rather than one.
One should do the trick. But yes, the cost is a consideration...

03-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If you want to shoot with only one lens, get a point-and shoot. The reason for interchangeable lens cameras is to change the lenses. No one lens can suit all possible situations, indoors or outdoors.
A very strong point, this. Punchy, but refreshing

I get the point of changing the lenses, but then again I do have some limitations. Budget is one. My bag size (don't want/ need to carry a huge bag around when I travel) is another. WAF is to be considered as well (gets irritating at times).

I need to start with essentials, I guess. And more light is now what I seek, since I tested the f/2.4 and f/2.8 and know they're too dark for comfortable no-flash shooting.
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
Forum Member

I prefer (bounced, CTO-gelled) flash indoors, but to each their own...

With the DA35 Ltd, you should have a pretty good idea as to how fast your K-5 can AF in your typical indoor shooting conditions. Assuming the K-5 can AF lock consistently onto your intended subject, you're in business; if not, a faster lens isn't likely to help (DSLR AF systems don't benefit from lenses faster than F2.8).

Given the choices, and your preferences, the FA31 seems like the best bet. I find that the normal FOV is very useful indoors for family events, groups shots and other random things to the point that I grab my DA35 Ltd for such occasions without thinking about it anymore. Also, you'll get a deeper depth of field at F1.8 and 31mm than you will at F1.4 and 50mm, making it possible to keep more of your subject in sharp focus. However, if I had both the FA31 and DA35, I would be tempted to sell one of them (probably the DA35 in your case), as I see these lenses serving a very similar purpose, unless "normal" FOV macros are a big part of your life.

Whichever lens you go with, you'll want to make a conscious decision to position yourself with your back to any windows to make the most of the available lighting.
03-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I've bought Sigma 30 f/1.4 for exactly this and couldn't be happier.
same for me.

a sample
03-02-2011, 04:21 AM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
FA31mm f1.8.. You Know you want to go there. 50mm I've always thought was too tight for 'room' photography.
Based on above argument I have bought 31.

Lately I used 50 and I felt bit jealous not having f/1.4 on 31 Ltd. for indoors
03-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I would go first with the DA* 16-50 and then with the FA 31 ltd.
03-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your thoughts!

Made me wonder quite a bit...