Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by VelkyLev Quote
Today I received my 55-300mm lens but without a hood and case. It didn't even come in a original Pentax box, just some bubble wrap around the lens. I want to return it because I am not happy with it.
Why are you unhappy with the lens? Is it the sharpness, functional issues, or just that you've got it as a bare lens with no box etc.? On a side note, I opted for a DA version of this lens. While metal mount is nice, I went for the DA mostly because of QuickShift focusing - it really helps considering the rather slow AF of this lens. The hood is also nice to have.

03-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
And if that fails, the DA has a green ring on the bottom, the DA L has a silver ring
And if that fails, mount the lens, autofocus and try to turn the focus ring. If you need force to turn it (don't force it), it proves the lens has no quick shift.

The other difference that I've heard about the difference between the DA and the DA-L is that there are no distance markings on the focus ring of the DA-L; not sure if it applies to the 55-300 version.
03-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Today I received my 55-300mm lens but without a hood and case. It didn't even come in a original Pentax box, just some bubble wrap around the lens. I want to return it because I am not happy with it.

I didn't have a proper look at the lens (and don't want to play around with it too much because I want to return it), but could somebody tell me what the easiest way is to see if this lens is a DA or a DA L?
Because the last option would really piss me off since I did pay for the more expensive DA lens...
Prices don't say anything. If you ordered a DA-L, you ordered a DA-L. Does not matter if the supplier advertised it for 10 bucks, 200 bucks or 300 bucks.

I assume you bought online. If so, the question is what you ordered. Did the product description mention DA or DA-L, was there a photo of the DA instead of the DA-L. You might have been mislead. Or the supplier made a (not so) genuine mistake.

Return it if it's indeed the DA-L.
03-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #19

Thanks for the replies and info. I checked and it is indeed a DA-L lens. So much for trusting a company that claims to have 40 years of experience and is specialized in digital photograpy...

03-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ordered DA L from Adorama

Well i ordered the grey market DA L 55-300. Yeah, I'd like a hood ( is it possible to add?); the quick shift focus is something I like but I can always switch to manual focus. The plastic mount...well my 18-55 kit lens is the same and it seems strong enough if you're aware of what you have.

The price is what really made the decision...I'm short on cash, and the great reviews and apparent image quality of this lens was enough to make the buy.
I think I did OK...we'll see when I get it.

Appreciate all the responses, grateful for the help!

SP
03-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smilinpig Quote
Yeah, I'd like a hood ( is it possible to add?)
You can get the genuine Pentax hood for $50, or you can get a Chinese knockoff for around $10. Just search for Pentax 58mm lens hood on evilBay.
03-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
One lens does not prove that you're wrong, but did you see Pentax 55-300mm DA L plastic mount repair/replacement
I did not see that particular thread, but indeed it proves nothing. I could find one example of just any part of any lens breaking. There's even a thread called something like "my FA50 fell apart in my hands" of all things...

The simple truth is, you cannot say "metal is better than plastic" because such a blanket statement ignores dozens of variables. What metal, what plastic, what thickness, what treatment performed on the metal, how is the mount fixed to the body, what are the constraints, what are the weak points in the design, how is the glass held (more often than not plastic, and that's more important), what are the thermal expansion coefficients, how will it support humidity variations, will it support abrasion, what is the Young modulus (how it can bend without breaking), what are the manufacturing tolerances, are the parts properly inspected, how will a too-hard mount affect (damage?) the rest of the lens if hit... you get my drift.

Metal vs plastic is simply not a relevant factor.
03-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by aoleg Quote
Why are you unhappy with the lens? Is it the sharpness, functional issues, or just that you've got it as a bare lens with no box etc.? On a side note, I opted for a DA version of this lens. While metal mount is nice, I went for the DA mostly because of QuickShift focusing - it really helps considering the rather slow AF of this lens. The hood is also nice to have.
I am unhappy with it because I ordered the DA version and would like to have the hood, soft bag and quickshift. Besides that I haven't played around with it yet because normally you can't send things back after using them.

I called the company today, they were unaware of the fact that there are two different 50-300mm lenses so sent one that came from a kit, thinking it would be the same model.

Anyway, sending it back tomorrow after which they will send me the DA 50-300mm. Can't wait to use it!

03-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I called the company today, they were unaware of the fact that there are two different 50-300mm lenses so sent one that came from a kit, thinking it would be the same model.
Ja ja, why do I not really believe that

Anyway, sending it back tomorrow after which they will send me the DA 50-300mm. Can't wait to use it!
Glad you got it sorted. I find it quite an impressive lens although I barely use it. Bought it for wildlife and haven't done wildlife since I got it