Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Grey Market 55-300 pentax

Price at adorama is 199...very hard to pass up but I'm a little unsure of the 'grey market' label. Asking for trouble if there's a problem, or just a good deal? On my budget, its mighty tempting.

Any one ever buy from adorama, a grey market item?
thanks

03-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only difference is that it's not from the US, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #3

55-300

Note that the $199 is the DAL version, which account for some of the price difference from their DA non-grey mkt $349/free shipping lens. Still seems like a good price.
03-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

I'd pay the extra and get a metal mount version ...

03-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arbalist Quote
I think it also comes with a hood where the DA L does not.
03-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I think it also comes with a hood where the DA L does not.
That is true.

The DA has a metal mount, comes with a hood and a lens case, and also has quick-shift focusing.

The DA L has a plastic mounts, doesn't come with a hood nor lens case, and doesn't allow quick-shift focusing.

Optically, however, they are the same.
03-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arbalist Quote
The hood would be a good argument, the metal mount isn't. There is no objective reason to dismiss plastic mounts. There are a lot of emotional arguments but they are not based on experience.
03-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The hood would be a good argument, the metal mount isn't. There is no objective reason to dismiss plastic mounts. There are a lot of emotional arguments but they are not based on experience.
One lens does not prove that you're wrong, but did you see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/127674-pentax-...placement.html

OP of that thread has, by the way, never answered the question how that happened.

And yes, this can also happen with metal mounts but I've never heard of that.

03-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Of all the differences, the plastic vs metal mount is probably the least important (well, I suppose the lens case isn't too important either). The hood is nice to have and if I had a DA L version I'd probably buy one anyway. Personally, I would really miss the quick-shift focusing.

In the end, it comes down to come how much is each difference worth to you. The hood and case, maybe $20/each. The metal mount vs plastic, maybe another $20? The quick-shift focusing, depending on whether you use it for now, maybe $40? I can see an argument to spend the extra $100 if all of the "extras" are things you'd like to have and put some value on. Otherwise, the DA L is certainly a lot of bang for the buck.
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Quickshift is really a nice feature... got used to it when i first got my 18-55mm DA II kit lens... and then got the first 55-300mm... and then again with the 18-135mm!

When handling other peoples cameras I instinctively try to do a quick-shift focus when i simply can't

Oh, and that damaged DA L in the other thread... that looks like damage from seriously knocking the lens off the body... something like, say you're walking (reasonably fast paced) with the camera dangling off the side of your body - the lens is facing outwards.. then whack, you hit a pole/wall/doorframe/etc... since it's two of the flanges (that the name for them?) snapped off. although a whack would show more damage to the barrel of the lens... could also be weight being pressed down on the lens so the flanges break..

Essentially it seems like severe mistreatment of the lens to cause that sort of damage... not really an argument in plastic vs metal mount... you could probably cause similar damage to the flanges on a metal mount if you had a serious mishap/mistreatment of the lens too.

Last edited by Vylen; 03-01-2011 at 02:41 PM.
03-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Essentially it seems like severe mistreatment of the lens to cause that sort of damage... not really an argument in plastic vs metal mount... you could probably cause similar damage to the flanges on a metal mount if you had a serious mishap/mistreatment of the lens too.
Actually, the plastic mount problem prevented damage to the camera body. A metal mount that didn't give might have caused whatever force was at play to get transferred to the body, causing much more costly damage.
03-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #12

Today I received my 55-300mm lens but without a hood and case. It didn't even come in a original Pentax box, just some bubble wrap around the lens. I want to return it because I am not happy with it.

I didn't have a proper look at the lens (and don't want to play around with it too much because I want to return it), but could somebody tell me what the easiest way is to see if this lens is a DA or a DA L?
Because the last option would really piss me off since I did pay for the more expensive DA lens...
03-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Just look on the body of the lens... it will simply say either DA or DA L
03-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Just look on the body of the lens... it will simply say either DA or DA L
And if that fails, the DA has a green ring on the bottom, the DA L has a silver ring
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #15

If it came without a hood and box, then I'm relatively confident it's a DA L. Bubble wrap is the standard packaging for DA Ls from what I understand as technically Pentax does not sell it as a standalone lens.