Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thom Hogan likes Pentax lens lineup

I got a chuckle out of this:

The State of the Camera Industry 2010
QuoteQuote:
DX lenses showed considerable neglect by Nikon in 2010, with only a low-end 55-300mm appearing. Missing in action are constant aperture DX zooms (even f/4, but specifically a 16-50mm f/2.8 and a 50-150mm f/2.8) and any sign of anything resembling a DX wide angle prime. There's no indication from Nikon that they think anything is wrong with their DX lens lineup, yet users can find considerable fault with it.
Any Pentax DA* or Limited lens with "Nikon" written on it would probably sell like hotcakes.

03-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I never knew April Fool's starts in March.
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kammerer Quote
I got a chuckle out of this:

The State of the Camera Industry 2010

Any Pentax DA* or Limited lens with "Nikon" written on it would probably sell like hotcakes.
He has mentioned this before, and has specifically talked about the DA 15ltd on dpreview.

He and I were actually exchanging emails Christmas eve day about an unrelated subject and it was brought up also.

But he has enough other bad things to say about Pentax's direction in general.

03-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

With the number of sheep buying the lenses that Nikon churns out w/o regard to equivalent to DX crop factors, I'd say Nikon doesn't need to give a damn.

03-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we can safely say that (a) Nikon sells a lot more cropped sensor models than full frame sensor models and (b) their profit margin is significantly higher on full frame sensor models. With that in mind, Nikon is deliberately crippling their APS-C models in order to get pros to move up. The lenses and camera bodies just generate a lot more revenue.
03-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
With the number of sheep buying the lenses that Nikon churns out w/o regard to equivalent to DX crop factors, I'd say Nikon doesn't need to give a damn.
And if said sheep were buying Pentax, it would be driving up demand, lowering availability, and hence increasing price.
03-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
And if said sheep were buying Pentax, it would be driving up demand, lowering availability, and hence increasing price.
??

Pentax would welcome such sheep, and if they stuck around to graze longer, production capacity would adjust to feed the new income stream.