Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Return and replace the WR 18-135mm with??

I am seriously thinking of returning the DA 18-135mm WR I bought with my K-5. What would be a good replacement for the money?

I cannot live with a lens that has no markings or limits for the focus and that with no marking must be readjusted with each move of the lens focal length.

I do love how fast it focuses even in nearly no light at all in AF but I do a lot of shots where I focus and switch to manual or need strictly manual use (video as well).

03-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yeah I don't think the 18-135mm was built with your use-case in mind. It's built for a lot of things, but video and manual focus likely aren't going to be it's strong suit. I can't say I recommend getting rid of it for it's many other strong suits, but if you are frustrated than there's no point keeping it around.

For video and nicer manual focus controls, I'd try the DA Limited series. That way you get autofocus + quickshift. You could also go with the FA limiteds if you want faster lenses (aperture wise) without the quickshift ability.

Perhaps a DA35/2.8 would fit you nicely? It's hard to say without knowing what focal lengths you use on your zoom.
03-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Yeah I don't think the 18-135mm was built with your use-case in mind. It's built for a lot of things, but video and manual focus likely aren't going to be it's strong suit. I can't say I recommend getting rid of it for it's many other strong suits, but if you are frustrated than there's no point keeping it around.

For video and nicer manual focus controls, I'd try the DA Limited series. That way you get autofocus + quickshift. You could also go with the FA limiteds if you want faster lenses (aperture wise) without the quickshift ability.

Perhaps a DA35/2.8 would fit you nicely? It's hard to say without knowing what focal lengths you use on your zoom.
I am really leaning towards a versatile range like this one has but would like to keep it fairly sharp and good quality even if I have to live without the WR. I would love to have another DC lens as this is hands down the best focusing lens I have for speed and accuracy...
03-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

In that case I'd recommend looking into the Sigma zooms, most of them have a similar HSM AF motor, perhaps not quite as good as DC, but often thought better than SDM and certainly better than screw mount.

Check out Sigma Corporation of America - Digital camera lenses, Digital Cameras, Electronic Flashes, Camera Accessories for a list of their current zooms, also check out the great review database on this forum to get user opinions.

Personally, I've thought about getting the new 17-50 2.8 HSM OS, but that range may be too short for you. I used to own the 17-70 2.8-4.5 in Canon mount and was impressed with it's versatility. There's a new version of the 17-70 that includes HSM and OS that might interest you. I don't recall if these Sigma zooms have markings on the focus rings.