Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Best lens cap for DA 35?

I have a UV filter on my DA 35, and the lens cap that came with it keeps falling off.

I was thinking of getting a 49mm Pentax snap-on cap. Is there any downside to this? Any other solutions out there?

Also, is one of the Pentax snap-on caps better than the other in any way? (i.e., stays on better, easier to remove, etc.)

pentax 49mm lens cap snap-on

One appears to be the older style, one possibly the newer....

03-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
You know what, I think I am just going to "risk it" (sarcasm) with the newer cap.

Feel free to comment if you would like, but that question may have been a little much (even for me).
03-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Disclaimer: I don't have the DA 35mm.

On 49mm lens cap - if you want to spend more for a cap with Pentax logo, go for it. The one with center pinch is easy to remove/install when you have the lens hood on.

Cheapo me? I bought a bunch of this for about $2 a copy, shipped.

I stick two narrow strips of self-adhesive sandpaper to the center pinch. My clumsy paw doesn't drop the cap any more:

03-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmmm. Very interesting. I also have the DA 15. I don't need it to say Pentax, I just want it to work...

03-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, SOldBear. I think I am going to order those. I was thinking of just replacing the one, but I might as well replace the cap on my DA 15 and my new DA 70 which is in transit.

I have found caps like these to not work very well: General Brand 49mm Snap-On Lens Cap B&H Photo Video

So your solution may be perfect...
03-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ebay offers several options for Pentax labeled caps.

Asahi Pentax 49mm Snap-On Cap - eBay (item 150557726234 end time Mar-04-11 12:54:05 PST)

I recently bought a 10 piece assortment pack from this vendor.

PENTAX K 10 CAPS REAR, BODY, 49MM LENS CAP BUYER SELECT - eBay (item 400196882823 end time Mar-22-11 10:26:42 PDT)

Just leave a note in the Paypal payment on the breakdown on how many of each cap you want.

For my lenses with hoods, I also bought Center Snap caps (can't remember the seller). I used a small piece of the self adhesive loop portion from Velcro to aid in gripping the center pinch.

Tim
03-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You're right. The "general brand" cap doesn't work very well.

For other DA Ltd. lenses, I have a different solution . It works with the 21mm (no vignetting, but the 49-37mm step-down adapter has to be thin), it should work with the 35mm.

03-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Brooke Meyer

The best lens cap is none.

Your UV filter is enough. I use caps on lenses for transport in or backpack. Lens caps stay in the bag. I favor hoods over filters as I think they protect better. Rolled a 12-24 off a bench to concrete floor and the hood took the shock, lens fine. Hoods help with flare and keeps rain snow & dust to minimum. Unless you get a big old greasy thumbprint on your filter, the photo will be fine.

03-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
thanks OP and soldbear - ordered one of those lenscaps - the pentax one fell the other day so the timing of this post was perfect!