Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
M42 lens can also be used in AV mode, as the camera does not know the aperture, it just meters for whatever light is coming through the lens. So if you set to manual aperture on the lens, you focus at whatever aperture allows you to see the subject, then move the aperture to desired value on the ring and shoot. The camera will adjust shutter speed automatically.

So really its better than Pentax M lenses where they will only meter wide open regardless of the ring setting?

An M42 lens will meter for whatever manual aperture setting you have the aperture ring set for? Is there a specific m42 variant I need to look for? Ie with Auto/Manual switch or something?

03-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
So really its better than Pentax M lenses where they will only meter wide open regardless of the ring setting?

An M42 lens will meter for whatever manual aperture setting you have the aperture ring set for? Is there a specific m42 variant I need to look for? Ie with Auto/Manual switch or something?
The M lens has the advantage that you can compose wide open without moving the aperture ring.
03-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wupdigoj Quote
Selar: M42 lenses will not meter correctly (not even near) in Av mode in the k-x. I don't know why, because it works great in my MZ-5, and as you, I thought it should work, but it doesn't. Something related to the non-linear transmision of the focussing screen, I have been said. The only usable mode with K or M42 lenses in the k-x is M.
This is correct. Having struggled with meter accuracy in stop-down mode on my K10D, I have been seriously tempted to upgrade to a newer body just to get the fix. Too bad Pentax chose to limit support to M mode only, but half a loaf is better than none.

Steve
03-05-2011, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wupdigoj Quote
From the lenses you quoted, I own the Rikenon, and the Helios. Both are very good, but I prefer the Helios, for no clear reason.
I too own both lenses and have a preference for my Helios 44M. It has an inexplicable sprinkling of pixie dust and has compared favorably with my FA 77/1.8 limited for some shots:

With the FA 77/1.8 Limited

With the Helios 44M 58/2

Not to say the Helios is as good (it isn't), but just that there seems to be magic in the Helios as well!

03-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
That is why you use M mode with Pentax-M lenses. If your camera is set with aperture ring enabled, you should be able to do a stop-down reading using the "green button" (or whatever K-x equivalent). The flow is actually pretty simple and reflects how it was done back in older times.

-- Frame subject and choose desired aperture
-- Meter
-- Focus and do final composition
-- Shoot
-- Continue to shoot at those settings until either the subject or the light changes

Using M mode is a skill worth mastering even with more modern lenses. I recently finished up several days of shooting a stage setting where the lighting was very difficult for the camera to meter. The first session ended up with a mix of good/bad exposure. On day two, I used manual white balance, metered the subject's face for a baseline exposure setting and shot in M mode from that point. (Turned off the AF as well )

Steve
03-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is why you use M mode with Pentax-M lenses. If your camera is set with aperture ring enabled, you should be able to do a stop-down reading using the "green button" (or whatever K-x equivalent). The flow is actually pretty simple and reflects how it was done back in older times.

-- Frame subject and choose desired aperture
-- Meter
-- Focus and do final composition
-- Shoot
-- Continue to shoot at those settings until either the subject or the light changes

Using M mode is a skill worth mastering even with more modern lenses. I recently finished up several days of shooting a stage setting where the lighting was very difficult for the camera to meter. The first session ended up with a mix of good/bad exposure. On day two, I used manual white balance, metered the subject's face for a baseline exposure setting and shot in M mode from that point. (Turned off the AF as well )

Steve
Im quite familiar with the wonderful green button in M mode, and use it with my MF lenses. Im just inherently lazy so if I can get the camera to do the metering without me pressing another button (and it buzzing and whirring) before I shoot its preferable. I just find the extra Green button step a pain in the butt sometimes. That said Im so glad we have the green button feature at all!
03-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #22

Original Poster
Hi all,
finally I got the Helios 44-M-7 58mm with M42 mount and I'm very happy. It's an awesome lens. The only thing to take in account is the Focal distance that isn't 58mm, it is 88 mm in my Pentax k-x.

Thanks again to all, you were really really helpful in choose this lens!

Here, I leave you two samples:

Lazo de amor | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Mamiya old lens case | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

03-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #23
Pentaxian

andrix, congrats on your purchase. Among the 44M-type lenses the "7" version seems to have the better coatings and is arguably the sharpest of the bunch.
I have this one and am stunned at what a sharp lens it is.

There is an older thread that talks about both the 44-2 and the 44M-7 here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/97960-lovin-he...8mm-f-2-a.html

here are some pics from the 44M-7:

this lens definitely gives the Pentax M 50/1.7 a run for its money, and that is hard to do.
03-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #24

Original Poster
Hi Mike,
thanks for your comment. Indeed the Helios 44-M-7 seems to be the sharpest after reading a lot in this great forum. Your pics are amazing, so beautiful! The one of the SF bridge is stunning! Seems to be a lovely place there, I hope one day I could visit .

I don't know anything about the Pentax M 50mm 1.7, I will try to visit some store here to find **old** good lenses. Someone offer me a Pentax K 50 mm f/1.2 for 350 US dollars, It's totally out of my budget , I bought the Helios and a Mamiya Sekor 28mm f/2.8 (that I will publish a review soon) for 35 US dollars . I think my next purchase will be a Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4!

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Andrés
03-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #25
Ira
Inactive Account

Andrix, well done! You're really buying the good stuff!

And yes--buy that Super Takumar 50 1.4 while it's still available. The prices have gone up and up on that one, and if you can you can find a bargain, grab it! Here are two of my favorite shots from mine:

Also, those Helioses are addictive. I have the 44-2 (wild and nutty bokeh!!), and I really want the 7.

Last edited by Ira; 03-10-2011 at 04:15 AM.
02-02-2015, 04:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Hi andrix, I came a little too late to this thread... However... I ordered 44-M-7 from Russia. Even it's M, it's described (and seen on the photos) as K-mount version.

Same lens (only different S/N number) can be found here: Excellent MC Helios 44M 7 2 58mm Pentax K Mount 6 Aperture Blades s N 9706998 | eBay

So now I'm wondering what I'll get... and if it will be K-3 compatible...