Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Helios 44M-7 58 mm f/2 of Zenit camera

Hi, I saw this lens to buy that come with the Zenit camera (only buy option). But I don't know if will work on my Pentax k-x. Which mount have this lenses? Are they of good quality? I saw the Lens database here and appear one similar but not this one.

Are a recommend option? I am looking to an Normal lens with f/1.4 to f/2 apreture. This is the chepear option, because i have seen Pentax 50mm SMC f/1.8 and f/2, Rikonon 50 mm f/2, Super Takumar f/1.4 (but i don't have the m42 mount).

Any recommnendation? I am a bit new with photography in general, so sorry if there are mistakes in my post.

Andrés

03-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #2

Hello. I have this lens and the 4M-4 MC and 4M-4 single coated. All of them are very good. I also own a Ricoh 50 f2 and a yashica ML 50 f2. The Helios 4M-7 is the sharper of the lot. The mount is M42, and you can use it in your k-x using a M42-K adapter, but only in manual.

These lenses have an automatic diaphragm, so you have to disable it if you want to use other apertures than wide open. There are several tutorials on how to do this.

Don't overpay for an Helios lens!. I paid 25 euros for the three lens and a zenit 11 body.
Javier
03-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andrix Quote
Hi, I saw this lens to buy that come with the Zenit camera (only buy option). But I don't know if will work on my Pentax k-x. Which mount have this lenses? Are they of good quality? I saw the Lens database here and appear one similar but not this one.

Are a recommend option? I am looking to an Normal lens with f/1.4 to f/2 apreture. This is the chepear option, because i have seen Pentax 50mm SMC f/1.8 and f/2, Rikonon 50 mm f/2, Super Takumar f/1.4 (but i don't have the m42 mount).

Any recommnendation? I am a bit new with photography in general, so sorry if there are mistakes in my post.

Andrés
None of these lenses are really "normal" lenses on APS-C. For that you would need a 28mm or 35mm. Be aware also that the Helios M models are M42 mount and you would need an adapter. The Helios K is a K-Mount.
03-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The lens is likely worth $50 or less (depends on condition and how good a deal you get) so I wouldn't spend more than that unless the camera is also valuable to you. More info in the soviet lens club forum here and you could search ebay for "helios" and see lots of 44's come up.

03-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1295/helios5828.jpg

unresized sharpness/bokeh test with this lens. Personally, I like this lens more then my zeiss tessar. Same build/image quality but much cheaper
03-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies. The thing is i am in Montevideo, Uruguay and here is TOO difficult to find simple things like you will find in the States or in Europe! I am trying to buy an M42-K adaptor but it's hard, and buy it from ebay isn't easy because I have to pay 60% of taxes for a stupid product .
The Helios + zenit camera here cost 50 US dollars, and i can find the Ricoh 50 mm f/2 for 60 US dollars. Then come the others for example, the Super Takumar for 75 US, the pentax Smc 50 mm f/2 90, and so on...

So First I have to find an M42 screw adapter for Pentax
03-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to all the replies. I think i will buy it with the camera. My problem is that i live in uruguay and here it's pretty hard to find photography accesories, and buy it in Ebay is an option but is expensive (60 % of import taxes, so a simple M42 adaptor that cost 10 dollars will cost me 30 because of the shipping and the gov taxes).

Apart of the Helios, would you recommend another one of the ones that I mention ?

* Ricoh Rikonon 50 mm f/2
* Super-Takumar 50 mm f/1.4
* Pentax SMC 50 mm f/2
* Pentax SMC 50 mm f/1.8

Another option ?

Thanks a lot in advance!

03-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh Rikenon is a fine lens. As long as it isn't the P version. The P version has Ricoh's version of automatic aperture that isn't compatible with Pentax auto aperture. The aperture pin, or "Ricoh" pin is in a position that can get caught in the Pentax AF screw drive. Any P series Rikenons will have to have that pin removed. It is a better lens than either of the Pentax 50/2s (M, A). The Pentax-M 50/1.7 is a better lens than any of the f/2 lenses. The SMC Pentax 55/1.8 is also a fine lens, slightly different than the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 and K-mount instead of M42.
03-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
The lens is likely worth $50 or less (depends on condition and how good a deal you get) so I wouldn't spend more than that unless the camera is also valuable to you. More info in the soviet lens club forum here and you could search ebay for "helios" and see lots of 44's come up.
A lot less than $50 USD. $35 if in perfect condition. I paid $10 or $15 (can't remember which) for my 44M. The Helios 44 series are great lenses, but literally millions were made. While not particularly easy to come by in the U.S., they are extremely common in Europe and in the former Soviet Union.

Steve
03-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A lot less than $50 USD. $35 if in perfect condition. I paid $10 or $15 (can't remember which) for my 44M. The Helios 44 series are great lenses, but literally millions were made. While not particularly easy to come by in the U.S., they are extremely common in Europe and in the former Soviet Union.

Steve
Yeah, I was trying to include shipping in my cost, i.e. something is worth more to me if I can pick it up locally.
03-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andrix Quote
* Ricoh Rikonon 50 mm f/2
* Super-Takumar 50 mm f/1.4
* Pentax SMC 50 mm f/2
* Pentax SMC 50 mm f/1.8
I own two copies of the XR Rikenon 50/2 and both are decent lenses. My only complaint is "nervous" bokeh. In my opinion my Helios 44M is better, though not as handy in use. I also own the Pentax-K (SMC) 55/1.8 and consider it to be my best "fast 50".

Here are a few links of photos taken with each lens:

XR Rikenon 50/2

Helios 44M

Pentax-K 55/1.8
03-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Yeah, I was trying to include shipping in my cost, i.e. something is worth more to me if I can pick it up locally.
Agreed...particularly when it comes to FSU lenses!

Steve
03-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wupdigoj Quote
The mount is M42, and you can use it in your k-x using a M42-K adapter, but only in manual.
M42 lens can also be used in AV mode, as the camera does not know the aperture, it just meters for whatever light is coming through the lens. So if you set to manual aperture on the lens, you focus at whatever aperture allows you to see the subject, then move the aperture to desired value on the ring and shoot. The camera will adjust shutter speed automatically.
03-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #14

Andrix, you can buy a chinese M42-K in e-bay for something like 7 $, shipping worldwide included. I bought 2 of them some weeks ago, and I don't remember the seller, but I choose the cheapest ( 7$ plus 60 %= 11 $, still cheap). The adapters are of very good quality (better than the original, in my experience), tought the fitting is very tight in a new k-x. After several weeks of continous lens' changing the fitting is better. You can always remove the locking spring and attach the adapter to the lens instead of to the camera. Please, avoid the adapter with a flange, because they will not allow infinity focus.

Selar: M42 lenses will not meter correctly (not even near) in Av mode in the k-x. I don't know why, because it works great in my MZ-5, and as you, I thought it should work, but it doesn't. Something related to the non-linear transmision of the focussing screen, I have been said. The only usable mode with K or M42 lenses in the k-x is M.

From the lenses you quoted, I own the Rikenon, and the Helios. Both are very good, but I prefer the Helios, for no clear reason. I think almost any 50ish f2ish will be good. Regards

Javier
03-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #15

Original Poster
@wupdigoj, thanks for your comment! I've bought an adapter from Ebay of 8 Us dollars, and as you said isn't expensive at all, it will arrive in ~10 days. I think that today I gonna buy the Helios, and maybe then think in the Rikenon, also I have in mind a Super-Takumar f/1.4 a bit more expensive but seems to be of high quality.

Thanks to all also, because I've been learning tons of new things these days reading this fantastic Forum. I am very proud to be a Pentaxian