Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
12mm on film would be fun. For APS-c, the Pentax seems to have an edge.
I use it on my D700, and believe me, it is.

03-04-2011, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Just for reference, the minimum (or rather maximum) focal length on APS-C to capture an entire room, corner to corner, is 12mm. 12mm gives you a 90 degree horizontal angle of view, so you can stand in a corner and capture the entire room.

Not that you necessarily need to capture the entire room in one shot, but just keep in mind that anything longer requires something to be cut out. I've only done casual interior shooting, but there were definitely instances where my 15 ltd didn't feel wide enough.

Last edited by Cannikin; 03-04-2011 at 03:57 PM.
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Dont linear polarizers throw the AF off?
They can, in some limited circumstances blind the AF sensor by cross polarizing the light. I've never had issue with this because I've found that polarizer use generally isn't conducive to auto focus, and the circumstances are actually quite rare for when the AF would stop working.
If the AF stops working, rotate the filter to allow more light to the sensor (line up the polarizer with the half mirror), AF and then take the picture.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Just for reference, the minimum (or rather maximum) focal length on APS-C to capture an entire room, corner to corner, is 12mm. 12mm gives you a 90 degree horizontal angle of view, so you can stand in a corner and capture the entire room.

Not that you necessarily need to capture the entire room in one shot, but just keep in mind that anything longer requires something to be cut out. I've only done casual interior shooting, but there were definitely instances where my 15 ltd didn't feel wide enough.
I have the 10-17 fisheye for when I need wider. I just defish the resulting images.
I can also slap the A15/3.5 onto a film SLR and shoot that way if I need to.
03-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #19

Thanks for this post, it really helps to clarify what I need as well. I do kitchen work and need to shoot lots of kitchens. I am in the process of not using a photographer anymore. Not really because he wasn't good but because it was so difficult to schedule a time to get back into the house with the photographer that lots of times it wouldn't happen, or at least not for a couple months.

Long story short I want to start shooting my own kitchens but the widest I have is my kit lens at 18mm. I am currently hunting for a wide and as fast as possible( cost wise) lens (not so much for the kitchens as I shoot from tripod just for versatility) Your post has sold me that 12mm is about as wide as I would need.

Just to throw wrench into all this wide angle zoom talk what about the tamron 10-24? anyone have experience with it? And to add a dumb question is there anyway to get a tokina 11-16 to mount on a K mount? I don't think there is but maybe there is some trick I don't know, it looks like such a nice lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote

03-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
1r0nh31d3: And to add a dumb question is there anyway to get a tokina 11-16 to mount on a K mount? I don't think. there is but maybe there is some trick I don't know, it looks like such a nice lens.
I have not seen a way yet but, if you find one, share it here--most of us will convert to the 11-16mm, happily--it is truly a Tokina lens on which I'd spend my money.