Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

Beating a dead horse DA15mm vs 12-24mm zoom

This is my first post. Sorry I know this has been discussed a lot probably but I'm a beginning photographer and need to make a decision. I just bought a k-r with the 18-55 and 50 -200 kit lenses. I do want to learn to take good pics but my first order of business is the work photos I bought to shoot with the camera. I sell real estate and wanted to be able to shoot wider angle photos of some of the interior rooms. Like say a really nice kitchen etc. I'm thinking 18mm on the kit lens won't be wide enough and I'm looking at the 15mm limited lens. The 12-24 has been suggested but it's considerably more expensive plus filters etc are more. I'm trying to figure out if 15mm is going to be significantly wider than 18mm. Also if the 12-24 would be too wide at the wider end. I often see agents using shots (from a local pro) that look awful to me. Really distorts the room etc. I'd like to avoid that. I would like my photos to actually resemble the house when buyers actually see it. ;-) Any suggestions?

03-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
15 is significantly wider than 18, but for interior photography I could see wanting even wider (say to 12, or even more) sometimes. You can correct for some distortion in software too.

For your particular application I would probably recommend the 12-24 because sometimes when you need to get a particular shot for work you just want to get the shot and don't other criteria are less important.

If the cost was a problem I'd probably get a sigma 10-20, perhaps an older one and figure out what you need.

Just my 2 cents... from someone who owns neither lens and isn't a pro
03-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Bennett Quote
I sell real estate and wanted to be able to shoot wider angle photos of some of the interior rooms.
You definitely need a 12-24, not a 15 for this task, 15 is not wide enough for interiors. You will also need some lighting equipment (light stand, flash, modifier, clamp, triggers) to enable you to do off camera flash if you want to take professional looking photos.
03-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It is better to be able to go too wide than not wide enough. The 12-24 can be obtained used for $600+ from time to time in the Marketplace. Not really much more than a new 15. I'm not selling mine, unless and until and perhaps if a 12mm Limited comes out.

ANY wide angle will distort if you do not set it up properly. However, in many instances, that can be useful.

03-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

This is one of the times I make an exception.
Normally I don't like zooms.
But definitely the 12-24. I don't do a heck of a lot of interiors, and when I do, if the 15 is the right lens, I use it, but more often than not, the right lens is the 12-24.
Business wise, it's the right lens, and it's a good lens.
The only filter you should need is a polarizer.
Buy a good one, but not necessarily a circular.
03-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
but not necessarily a circular
Dont linear polarizers throw the AF off?
03-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Bennett Quote
This is my first post. Sorry I know this has been discussed a lot probably but I'm a beginning photographer and need to make a decision. I just bought a k-r with the 18-55 and 50 -200 kit lenses. I do want to learn to take good pics but my first order of business is the work photos I bought to shoot with the camera. I sell real estate and wanted to be able to shoot wider angle photos of some of the interior rooms. Like say a really nice kitchen etc. I'm thinking 18mm on the kit lens won't be wide enough and I'm looking at the 15mm limited lens. The 12-24 has been suggested but it's considerably more expensive plus filters etc are more. I'm trying to figure out if 15mm is going to be significantly wider than 18mm. Also if the 12-24 would be too wide at the wider end. I often see agents using shots (from a local pro) that look awful to me. Really distorts the room etc. I'd like to avoid that. I would like my photos to actually resemble the house when buyers actually see it. ;-) Any suggestions?

It doesn't sound like size in an issue for your intended application, and there could definitely be some occasions where you need wider than 15 for interior shots. I'd recommend the 12-24.

I do know what you mean by the 'too wide' comment, though. I put my house on the market at the end of 2009 and sold it last Spring - I ended up really quickly taking all the interior and exterior shots for the brochure after the agent showed up with a little crappy P&S. I used a Tamron 17-50 at 17mm, and it was fine. I'm no pro at that genre, but I think that the angle you choose and the lighting add to the shot much more than simply getting an all-encompassing view.

03-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 12-24 will get the job done, but this is one of those times when the extra 2mm of the Sigma 10-20 really shines (or the extra 4mm of the Sigma 8-16mm). If you use UWA composing techniques, a prosepctive buyer is not going to notice any distortion in your pics, unless the buyers are rare members of forums like this.

While shopping for homes, I was amazed by the unacceptable quality of many pics online--but those were all clearly done with a Point & Shoot, not with a DSLR & capable UWA. If you have/get a tripod, you can shoot small apertures and get great DOF. For example, these 2 shots are with a Sigma 10-20 4-5.6, shot @ 10mm, f9 & f 10 respectively: it was dark outside--excuse the White Balance of my K20d, especially in 2nd shot. Is there some distortion--sure--is it going to be a deal breaker to a prospective couple--no way. The 2 most important rooms to women in purchasing a home, the bathroom & kitchen, are often the smallest rooms in a house, so the 8 or 10mm perspective will be a boon for you--IMO.

BTW, I do not sell real estate, but I have shot a lot with ultra wide angle. You can pick up a used Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 for $375, and a cheap $30 tri-pod these days--so, with $400, you could roll, and upgrade later if you see a need. BTW, there is no distortion correction in these shots, but you can do that too if you saw a need. Good luck.

03-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree that the 15 will be frustrating for this. You might as well get the zoom that goes as wide as possible (the sigma) - IQ is not going to make or break this, the house will .
03-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

DA12-24 and a tripod. if you need more coverage, do some panoramic stitching (combining 2 or more photos side by side ).
03-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Im with Wheatfeild on this, im a prime guy and love the DA15 but this for this work the 12-24 will be much better suited, im not a pro but i was recently asked to do some real estate photography as a favour, and my widest lens is the DA15, the shoot turned out fine but if i was to do it full time i would get the 12-24 without a doubt

Some examples from the shoot with the DA15-

03-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for going through the effort of posting photo examples. Very helpful. I guess I have ruled out the 15mm limited and need to decide between the pentac 12-24 and the sigma 10-20. The deciding factor will probably be how good a deal I can find on either a used or new lens.
03-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 12-24mm and think it's better than sliced bread. I've used it for lots of interiors of old colonial-era buildings in Mexico and the results are similar to what has been posted above. I agree the extra 2mm makes a big differnence if you go with the Sigma 10-20mm. At the wide end, a seemingly small change has a big effect.

However, I have the 12-24 and it is one of the best lenses I own. I'm also a prime person, with lots of ancient glass. But I love love love my 12-24.
03-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Also consider the (FF) Sigma 12-24, if you can find a good deal on it.
03-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Also consider the (FF) Sigma 12-24, if you can find a good deal on it.
12mm on film would be fun. For APS-c, the Pentax seems to have an edge.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-04-2011 at 01:04 PM.