Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #1

Zoom Lens into Macro using close up diopter?

Here is my question...

I cannot afford a macro lens,not until all my children leave home and finish college and maybe marry one day...even then....

I was watching one of the Kelby training videos and he suggested using a 2-element close up diopter to turn the zoom into a macro.

I realize I may not get a true macro image like I would prefer,but it would be better than what I am able to do now.

Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

I have looked at the close up diopter out at ADORAMA and they are reasonably priced. I don't want to waste money if they are not going to work.

I have a Pentax K-x with 2 kits lenses; 50-200 52mm and the 18-55 52mm.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. I feel like Sgt Shultz! "I know nothing!" I am trying to learn.

03-03-2011, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Raynox DCR 150 which I find to be excellent. It provides 1:1 magnification on a 200mm lens.

DCR150 Raynox DCR-150, Macro-Scan 1.5x Super Macro Conversion Lens, with Snap-on Universal Mount for 52mm to 67mm Filter Diameters.

There is a 250 that provides more magnification, but I think the depth of field is so shallow with that that it is really hard to use.
03-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
Wow...thank you!!! I read all the reviews on the 150 and 250! Great reviews.

You didn't have any problems with the plastic ring? That was the only issue and even that was relatively minor.

That looks like it might be a better choice then what I was originally looking at.
03-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #4

I also have the Raynox 150 and get some great macro shots on my 55-300mm lens. I cannot detect any image quality degradation and the although the DOF is very shallow, it is usable even handheld. I haven't had any problems with it and find it to be quite robust despite being plastic.

03-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gsmp Quote

You didn't have any problems with the plastic ring? That was the only issue and even that was relatively minor.

That looks like it might be a better choice then what I was originally looking at.
The plastic ring is actually kind of nice because it makes it easy to switch in and out of macro mode pretty quickly. You can get some step-down rings is you can screw it on the lens if that is a concern, but I find the spring loaded adapter holds it quite securely.
03-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gsmp Quote

The plastic ring is actually kind of nice because it makes it easy to switch in and out of macro mode pretty quickly. You can get some step-down rings is you can screw it on the lens if that is a concern, but I find the spring loaded adapter holds it quite securely.

QuoteQuote:
less expensive too.