Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust off your long lenses for March 19

The moon will be the closest it has been to the earth in 18 years on March 19. Looking forward to your moon shots!

03-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Though it betrays my laziness, I will ask, what phase will the moon be in on March 19th?
03-04-2011, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Would you believe they put a man on the moon
03-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Common Jacoby, its all lies it was all studio shots with bad camera's! lol
Makes me wish I had a better zoom on order than just the 18-135WR.
Time to go borrow a lens from my cousin.. I'm sure he'll have something with a lot of range, most birders do!

03-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its a full moon.
03-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried searching but I'm not savvy with the right search terms - will we see the full moon on the east Aus coast? To me, it will be most interesting if it's low around sunrise or sunset...
03-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Would you believe they put a man on the moon
If you believe there's nothing up my sleeve, then nothing is cool.
03-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Time to break out the 1000mm. If it's not cloudy, I'll try for a moon shot.

03-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've actually had a lot of trouble getting a good shot of the moon.

My longest lens is 210mm at 5.6 (sure that does not help).

What would be the suggestions? Should I go to very short shutter speeds? High ISO + NR? Should I be at f8?

How can I get a good exposure of the moon AND the stars surrounding it?
03-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #10

I saw a nice moon shot in tammy club. I wonder what to use too.
03-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I tried searching but I'm not savvy with the right search terms - will we see the full moon on the east Aus coast? To me, it will be most interesting if it's low around sunrise or sunset...
Please explain:

I'm astronomically challenged.
03-04-2011, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I've actually had a lot of trouble getting a good shot of the moon.

My longest lens is 210mm at 5.6 (sure that does not help).

What would be the suggestions? Should I go to very short shutter speeds? High ISO + NR? Should I be at f8?

How can I get a good exposure of the moon AND the stars surrounding it?
I have 436 shots of the moon, maybe 10 good ones. But here's my advice anyway:

A full moon high in the sky, at 210mm, will be pretty boring. It's good for experience. The camera will probably not meter the shot correctly because the moon is too small in the frame. So your first shot will be a blown out moon in a black field. Trial and error exposure is one reason I have many bad moon shots. It looks like from my old shots, f8, 1/125 and ISO 200 will be close. The moon will be way brighter than the stars; the only way to get that shot is to fake it.

You need a really long lens to have a large enough moon in the frame to be interesting by itself. I wasn't that excited by 400mm. My 800 to 1000mm photos are good for the moon size, but typically suffer from technical issues like cheap TCs, overwhelmed tripods and poor atmospheric conditions. The moon is also not very exciting when it's full. A partial moon has more interesting features.

With only 200-300mm, I would try using other elements in the frame to increase the moon's apparent size or visual interest. A simple tree in silhouette can be impressive. Use distance and perspective to cheat. That means choosing a visual element like a tree on a ridge, then finding a spot a mile away to shoot from. It obviously helps to plan this in advance. But when it works, the tree makes the moon look much bigger.
03-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Please explain:

I'm astronomically challenged.
That was basically what I was saying Ira.
I'm keen to get that rareity on film where the moon is low (near the horizon and appears biggest) coinciding with a dramatically coloured sky so I can go out for a drive to my nearby vista and behold the wonder.
03-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have 436 shots of the moon, maybe 10 good ones. But here's my advice anyway:

A full moon high in the sky, at 210mm, will be pretty boring. It's good for experience. The camera will probably not meter the shot correctly because the moon is too small in the frame. So your first shot will be a blown out moon in a black field. Trial and error exposure is one reason I have many bad moon shots. It looks like from my old shots, f8, 1/125 and ISO 200 will be close. The moon will be way brighter than the stars; the only way to get that shot is to fake it.

You need a really long lens to have a large enough moon in the frame to be interesting by itself. I wasn't that excited by 400mm. My 800 to 1000mm photos are good for the moon size, but typically suffer from technical issues like cheap TCs, overwhelmed tripods and poor atmospheric conditions. The moon is also not very exciting when it's full. A partial moon has more interesting features.

With only 200-300mm, I would try using other elements in the frame to increase the moon's apparent size or visual interest. A simple tree in silhouette can be impressive. Use distance and perspective to cheat. That means choosing a visual element like a tree on a ridge, then finding a spot a mile away to shoot from. It obviously helps to plan this in advance. But when it works, the tree makes the moon look much bigger.
Great tips! Thank you!

I suppose I should pick up an old mirror lens one day for this sort of thing. I understand they are rather cheap?
03-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's an interesting event and I may even take a whack at it if conditions are right (which is unlikely) but it's hard to get too excited by the photo op. Some are better than others of course but all moon shots tend to look pretty much the same. Now if someone catches it in a compromising position, that's a different story ;~)