Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weather resistant wide-angle zoom for K-5?

I would like to have a weather resistant wide-angle zoom for my K-5. It should withstand splashes from cold ocean water.

Sigma has announced a new 12-24 which will be "splash-proof":
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11020804sigma12-24.asp
But this new Sigma lens can work with full frame cameras, so it is big, 87 x 120 mm.

There are rumours of a 12-35 WR Pentax lens on the horizon but nothing solid. http://photorumors.com/...-a-patent-for-a-da-12-35mm-f3-5-4-5-al-wr-sdm-lens/

I cannot find any small wide-angle zoom for Pentax K-5 which is also WR.
Does anyone know any?

03-04-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi, the 16-50 is the widest available Im aware of.
03-04-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

WR lenses are slowly being added on the list, and it's uncertain at this stage if third party lens manufacturers are getting on the WR bandwagon. I have been out in the gentle rain with non WR lenses, such as my 12-24, and it has had no ill from the outings thus far.
03-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
axl
Inactive Account

I have to second to the posters above.
As of the moment DA*16-50 is the widest WR lens in the line up. And if it's not serious pouring or snow, only light rain or drizzle, you'll be fine with non WR lenses. My experience so far is similar to Ash's.

03-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some very solid advice. It is worth to repeat that WR means weather resistant, not waterproof.

Basically a WR lens is built with a number of seals designed to protect as much as possible the lens (and camera) from the weather conditions. But that's it! (It does not mean waterproof or water resistant.) Ash hinted that a number of non-WR lenses can also be used in the outdoor without any problem in some foul weather, and that is 100% correct.

My own experience is directly linked with my work outdoor including in some very bad weather in subtropical/tropical conditions and southern European weather. I have been very impressed by the built quality of a number of non-WR lenses. These lenses are typically built like a tank: eg the DA18-250mm and Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 in my own case.

In other words, if you cannot find any WR lens that suits your needs, consider some non-WR lens which are 'built like a tank' and have a solid track record. A classical example is the DA18-250mm track record: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93367-k-7-steve-kr...gua-6962m.html.

Hope that the suggestion may help....
03-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the fine response in this thread so far!
It is good to see that the people of this forum are competent and helpful.
I have the Pentax 18-135 lens with my K-5 already, and I would like to have something substantially wider, like 10-20 or 12-24 for landscape pictures, in good time before November-December.
There will be ocean waves splashing water where I will go.
Judging from your replies, it seems that there is no small wide-angle zoom WR lens of the type that I want right now.
Maybe I will wait for a while and see if some lens turns up. The announced WR Sigma 12-24 will be available about April, but as I wrote before, it is big. Perhaps I will settle for the non-WR Sigma 10-20 in the end. Regardless what lens I get, I will probably protect it with plastic bags around the lens, taped to the lens hood.
I will also bring a water-proof compact to use in really wet conditions. There are a bunch of such cameras recently announced and available March-April, among them the Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS.
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That Sigma 12-24 looks pretty nice. It will probably be quite expensive though.
03-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
axl
Inactive Account

If you are going to place with splashing sea water, protect your front element (UV filter or such). I've read that sea salt and lens coatings are not the best of friends...

03-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
If you are going to place with splashing sea water, protect your front element (UV filter or such). I've read that sea salt and lens coatings are not the best of friends...
I agree. On the subject of that new Sigma lens, while it looks like a great lens it appears to be unable to take a standard filter, which brings it down a few notches on my interest scale. While my DA* 14mm is APS-C only, it's nice to be able to put a standard 77mm filter on it.