Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Macro lens used as portrait???

I'm thinking about getting the pentax 100mm D FA 2.8 macro WR. I want to use this lens as a macro and telephoto, but I'm having doubts as to how good the results would be as a telephoto. I've tried looking for pictures with this lens using distance, but everyone seems to post only macro shots with it. So I don't really know. I think I would rather a lens excel at portrat photography than macro, but I love macro photography as well. Any experience with this lens at telephoto distances? Any suggestions for other lenses with a reach of 50mm and greater. I've got some money to blow, please help!!

03-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
I'm thinking about getting the pentax 100mm D FA 2.8 macro WR. I want to use this lens as a macro and telephoto, but I'm having doubts as to how good the results would be as a telephoto. I've tried looking for pictures with this lens using distance, but everyone seems to post only macro shots with it. So I don't really know. I think I would rather a lens excel at portrat photography than macro, but I love macro photography as well. Any experience with this lens at telephoto distances? Any suggestions for other lenses with a reach of 50mm and greater. I've got some money to blow, please help!!
what is the cause of your doubts?
03-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The main problem with macros for portraiture is that they can't shoot at larger apertures such as F2. The AF is also slower, and the FL not ideal. You'll probably be better-off getting an FA77 or Sigma 85 if you want a short tele/portrait prime.
03-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most shots from macro lenses are close-up shots because that is what the lens is mostly used for.

100mm may bit a bit on the long side for portraits.

03-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There is a good chance that you could be completely happy with the DFA 100 2.8WR. It is an excellent all-around lens and its talents definitely go beyond its macro abilities. I would buy one and try it out. Or go to PPG and use the filters to view photos taken with the lens. The long FL is the only thing that may give you pause.
03-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ah, Adam, I think you're the guy who loves his FA 85MM 1.4. I've been reading some of your posts regarding that lens. This is another lens i'm very seriously considering buying in the next few weeks Thanks for the info!
03-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I recently acquired the DFA100WR as a 'medium' tele and for closeup / macro. Took this 'portrait' shot while testing it out; subject distance approx 3 meters.

Draw your conclusions if it's usable or not

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
...Any suggestions for other lenses with a reach of 50mm and greater. I've got some money to blow, please help!!
There's this Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro:

Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro AF Lens for Pentax AF 270109 B&H
03-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There are at least two other threads on this board discussing this very same issue. Sounds to me like numerous people like this lens for portraits. However, likely there is a better choice unless you also want to shoot macros with it.
03-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Cheap old bastard chimes in:

For macros and much portraiture, AF isn't needed. A crisp low-cost alternative to a new macro lens is an enlarger lens (EL) on bellows. Downsides: EL's in the 90-110 range tend to max-out at f/3.5, and don't support stop-down metering, and flash use can be tricky. Upsides: EL's are edge-to-edge sharp, and quite cheap, and the bellows can surprise your subjects.

Careful shopping can get you a bellows+lens combo for well under US$50. EL's longer than 80mm can reach infinity focus on most bellows and thus are suited for non-macro as well as macro work. EL's shorter than 90mm can be put on cheap macro tubes and used at a fixed focus distance. My Industar-58 75/3.5 (US$21, shipped) is set to focus at ~1.5m, great for head shots. With CIF, who needs AF?
03-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

For macros and much portraiture, AF isn't needed. A crisp low-cost alternative to a new macro lens is an enlarger lens (EL) on bellows. Downsides: EL's in the 90-110 range tend to max-out at f/3.5, and don't support stop-down metering, and flash use can be tricky. Upsides: EL's are edge-to-edge sharp, and quite cheap, and the bellows can surprise your subjects.

Careful shopping can get you a bellows+lens combo for well under US$50. EL's longer than 80mm can reach infinity focus on most bellows and thus are suited for non-macro as well as macro work. EL's shorter than 90mm can be put on cheap macro tubes and used at a fixed focus distance. My Industar-58 75/3.5 (US$21, shipped) is set to focus at ~1.5m, great for head shots. With CIF, who needs AF?
Methinks this is FAR to much trouble for todays"everything must be auto and simple brigade" after all, how could they blame their equipment for user failure.
03-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The Tammy 90mm macro is a good compromise I think.
03-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Another cheap old bastard completely agrees. Another option is extension tubes which will turn any lens into a macro.
Since you mention you would rather the lens excel at portraits and you do have money to burn, spend it on a portrait lens as Adam suggested.
03-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

100mm is just fine with portraits.

and if you need less working distance and more up-close shots with significant FOV, the 70mm is a marvel just as well.

for portraits, both lenses are workable up close and are great with distance as well. hope this help.