Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 04:36 AM   #1

Pentax Lens Compatibility with Ricoh camera?

Hey guys, my mum's given me an old Ricoh KR-5 Super II film SLR, but it's stuck with a fairly mediocre 35-70mm Rikenon lens. Just got a Pentax SMC 55mm f/2 lens on eBay, but, and I was pretty sure it was compatible? Just checking with you guys to make sure. As I understand it, it should be compatible because they're both K-mounts, and since my camera body is fully manual anyway, it should be right, shouldn't it?

03-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only incompatibilities between Ricoh and Pentax are the A & P settings. A Pentax A lens won't set aperture on a Ricoh body and a Ricoh P lens won't set aperture on a Pentax A or P series body. In addition a Ricoh P lens may become stuck on a Pentax AF body or DSLR. Third party lenses with both the A and P pin will work with both but may become stuck on Pentax AF bodies & DSLRs.
03-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. Hmm...well, after hearing that response, I think I should be right - my camera body doesn't have A or P modes, and I'm pretty sure the lens doesn't either.
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually that's not a bad little lens. I got that one recently for practically nothing and I've been playing with it. While no Takumar it's a bit more decent than I expected it to be. I had to take the pin out so I could use it on my *ist but so far it's been a good lens and I am not unhappy that I bought it. It's definitely better than the similar Tou 5 Star I have.

03-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #5

I have a KR5 Super II and it has the standard K-mount. I also have the RKN 35-70 lens and it is a pretty good little performer. It gave me this image on film:

And this one on my K200D:

03-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hmm, nice work. I should have elaborated a little more - before I got the 55mm f/2 Pentax, I was stuck with the 35-70 - and that was it. My problem was that it wasn't really the best lens to be stuck with if you only had one lens - doesn't quite go wide enough, and not quite fast enough.