Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
By no means I'm an expert, but I've done lens disassembly and repairs. Additional to all the great information here, I suggest you take your time and do as much as possible in one seating. If you do a little now and then come back later, you can loose track of what goes where and in what orientation. I do this at night after family goes to sleep and I plan to be at least one uninterrupted hour to do as much as possible.
Also, if it ain't broke don't fix it. This means that if you have for example fungus in a specific element but the aperture blades are working properly, don't disassemble the blades. Just get as deep as needed but don't get carried away taking apart more than needed.

Thanks!

03-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the links

Wow! I did a search. How did I miss those links?
They must have been right in front of my face & screaming at me to look at them.
Thanks for pointing them out & the links to them.

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Camera Maintenance and Repair - Books 1 & 2’ by Thomas Tomosy - AmherstMedia, Inc (search Amazon photo books section)
H2
On the books, I think I'll wait for the
"Camera Maintenance & Repair for Dummies"
03-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Looks like micro-tools is temporarily out of stock of the Lens Ring Tool Set. The only other place I've seen them is Japan-Hobby-Tool. Shipping is a bit pricey but only takes a week.

japan-hobby-tool.com
Yikes, yes on the "Pricey" I was unable to get the link to show "Shopping Cart". However, this is their full "English web site" - http://www.japan-hobby-tool.com/index_eng.php
The prices still have to be converted from Yen to US dollars. I use this site to convert the different currencies. Currency Exchange Rate Calculator, Converter
03-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Yikes, yes on the "Pricey" I was unable to get the link to show "Shopping Cart". However, this is their full "English web site" - カメラ修理工具や時計工具、切削工具等の特殊工具の通販サイト|ジャパンホビーツール
The prices still have to be converted from Yen to US dollars. I use this site to convert the different currencies. Currency Exchange Rate Calculator, Converter
They changed the site a bit since I ordered from them. The Lens Rings converted to $20 and change, which is $3 more than micro-tools charges. When I ordered from them last year the dollar was stronger. The rings were $17 with $12 for shipping. I use the "Convert" Dashboard widget in OS X to convert currency.

03-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens rings (clamps)

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The rings were $17 with $12 for shipping.
No need to get expensive special tools unless there's a specific reason only that specific item will fit. (IMO, JIS driver bits fall into that 'necessary' category sometimes even though Phillips bits seem a cheap substitute.)

For instance, if you need a circular, ring-type clamp find the proper diameter hose clamp and cushion the band with whatever seems suitable. Three adjustable clamps covering the range of 1-3 inches (~ 25 - 80 mm) solves a lot of problems.

E.g., Amazon.com: Hose Clamps: Worm Gear Hose Clamps, T-Bolt Hose Clamps, Ratcheting Hose Clamps

Large diameter, rubber-like O-rings and rubber bands also offer a good friction grip and protect the lens barrel from scratches.

An older 2-3 MB P&S digital camera with a decent macro mode lying near by encourages you to record the disassemble process without involving a lot of close-up gear.

Sturdy, 2-4 oz plastic containers (like single-serving pudding and yogurt comes in) are handy containers and trimmed to the proper diameter with rubber cement on the rim substitute for those silly crutch tips that never fit anyway.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 03-10-2011 at 10:19 AM.
03-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It just gets better

No need to get expensive special tools unless there's a specific reason only that specific item will fit.
H2
I could see if I had the spare cash, time & was going to go full time into a lenses repair business to purchase pro tools. However, even then, I think many of your ideas would work better in many situations that the pros would would even be tempted to use if one of their tools blows.

Thanks for the input. Saved me some cash for sure.
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Saved me some cash for sure.
The dirty l'il secret is that there's also an affliction called "tool buyers addiction" (TBA) that can be as devastating as LBA.

H2
03-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The dirty l'il secret is that there's also an affliction called "tool buyers addiction" (TBA) that can be as devastating as LBA.

H2
Good thing I'm broke or I would start that habit up in a heart beat...

03-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
helical coil grease
Is there any other type of grease that will work as good and be order off of Amazon?
03-21-2011, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

A few weeks ago I bought two of these plastic things from a budget household store, they're for getting lids off jars.
But they work well for lenses, especially stuck filters.
They are made from strong plastic with a silicone rubber face. I've tested them around a tin can and squeezed the hell out of them and they didn't break

Big enough for a 72mm ring and above, probably 85mm on the widest step of the large end.

And it will grip the M42 thread on a tiny Industar, and would go down to about 20mm

They're mass produced in China according the packaging, so my guess is they wont be hard to find.
03-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
They're mass produced in China according the packaging, so my guess is they wont be hard to find.
You can get them at Amazon for @ $7 at here:
Amazon.com: Evriholder EasiTwist Jar Opener, Assorted Colors: Kitchen & Dining

Meritline has them for @ $5.40 plus $1.00 S/H here:
Green Easy Twist Jar / Bottle Opener
But they are not the same as one you purchased. There are also some on ebay for even less...

I ordered the one from Amazon because it is the same one you have & it looks like it would work with on the lenses.

Last edited by glee46; 03-21-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Gramer
03-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

That looks as though it would work as well.

The one I have has a rigid plastic frame, the dark blue bit, that makes it very easy to use on lenses.
You could even grip the ends together with vice grips to make a stand to hold a lens on its end.

I've found them on Amazon UK.

Eddingtons EasiTwist Jar & Bottle Opener: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

So I guess they wouldn't be hard to get anywhere else.
03-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's an interesting use for it as well

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
The one I have has a rigid plastic frame, the dark blue bit, that makes it very easy to use on lenses.
You could even grip the ends together with vice grips to make a stand to hold a lens on its end.
Some guy on Amazon posted a picture of how he uses it. Interesting.

See here: Customer Image Gallery for Evriholder EasiTwist Jar Opener, Assorted Colors
03-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Replacement Parts

One thing I haven't seen yet is where to get replacement parts for lenses.

I'm sure you could purchase a used lens and pull some parts out, but I'm looking at replacing the front glass.

If everything else works great, but you got some glass with a few nicks, or worst, would Pentax have these for sell?
03-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure you could purchase a used lens and pull some parts out, but I'm looking at replacing the front glass.
If you should happen to be talkin' about an SMC-A 50/1.7 by chance . . . I have your solution right here in front of me.

H2
Closed Thread