Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #16
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Without a doubt or any hesitation, the Sigma. Wouldn't even have to think twice about that decision.

03-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Sigma all the way. Visit the review @ Photozone--amazing MTF scores, only weakness of the Sigma is wide open, in the borders, but still far ahead of the Da here.
03-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
Forum Member

sorry to complicate things but have u considered the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 (non stabilised version)?

I'm also looking at getting a fast zoom, and from what I've seen (think it was photozone) the tamron is very good too. It has a move even MTF across all apertures than the others and always scores highly, and the Tamron is 2-3 times cheaper than the others, well at least here in the UK anyway.
03-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vincechu Quote
sorry to complicate things but have u considered the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 (non stabilised version)?

I'm also looking at getting a fast zoom, and from what I've seen (think it was photozone) the tamron is very good too. It has a move even MTF across all apertures than the others and always scores highly, and the Tamron is 2-3 times cheaper than the others, well at least here in the UK anyway.
great suggestion as well. btw, how much does the Tammy cost there?

03-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
my camera is a Kx....I live in the boonies....locally would be a couple of hours away, and seems that most shops are selling Nikon, Canon, & Sony.....I like dealing with B&H....I bought my Kx from them along with a few other things....seem like a pretty good company to me!
03-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
still disgusted that THAT company actually put out a 300 F2.8 with the front element TAPED in place with double sided tape - absolutely appalling. Sure they've come up in quality since then (15-20 years ago), but would you trust a company with those kinds of ethics? I won't, ever.

They BOTh are 2.8 throughout the zoom range, hence only one aperture listed in their name, otherwise it would be 16-50 f=2.8-4.5, or something (look at the front of your kit lens). Also, optically, there are very few Sigmas up to par with the larger companies offerings, and even when the resolution is good, colour rendition and contrast often suffer, as does resale value. The Sigma owners will now scream and flame me, but the truth hurts sometimes...

My vote - stick with the Pentax.

Cheer,
Cameron

Brand-wide characterizations are usually inaccurate. Sigma has made great lenses, good lenses, mediocre lenses and dogs. Pentax quality is not universally good either.
03-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
great suggestion as well. btw, how much does the Tammy cost there?
Hi there, the tamron is 299.99GBP (though I'm sure i saw it somewhere lower for 270), the Sigma is 560GBP and the Pentax is 700GBP.

For those in the USA or Canada, if you convert the currency i think the UK prices will be more expensive than the USA, quite often its cheaper for me to import a lens from the USA and pay the 20% tax on top which is pretty crazy.