Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA 21mm Lens Hood Necessary?

Is the lens hood for the DA 21 an absolute necessity in terms of image quality and controlling flare?

I was wondering if one could get away with not using the lens hood and put a 49mm UV filter and an aftermarket lens cap on?

03-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be fine as long as you're not shooting in direct sunlight. Be careful with filters, though, as cheap ones may degrade IQ or cause stray reflections.
03-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've seen a thread regarding 50 mm lenses, where the poster compared shots taken with a hood and without a hood. His conclusion was that shots taken without a hood for that lens appeared softer than those taken with a hood(and i agreed after looking at his photos)

I've never seen a comparison like that for the 21. But like the FA50, the 21 lens is somewhat close to the outer edge and may be affected by stray light coming in fron the sides as well.

I think it would be worth doing your own comparison (and submitting the photos on here :-)) of bare lens, lens with hood, lens with filter. Its an interesting idea of yours, i always worry about losing my 21 cap.
03-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do not currently own the DA 21, but I am looking to acquire it soon...

03-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K206 Quote
I do not currently own the DA 21, but I am looking to acquire it soon...
and theres one selling over in the marketplace that is missing it's hood...
03-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #6

this hood is protecting the lens so well that I wouldnt worry about adding a UV filter for protection.
not saying that you may loose some of the lens quality.

moreover, this hood is so small and making the lens so sexy, keep it
03-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
@ Ubuntu_user: Yes, that is part of the reason I am asking...

The other reason is I was wondering if I could get away with a slimmer form factor even if I buy a new one. In other words, should I buy a 43mm filter for underneath the lens hood -- or could I have a slimmer option (closer to a DA 40 look) and use one of my 49mm UV filters and an aftermarket cap 49mm lens cap...

Last edited by K206; 03-06-2011 at 04:41 PM.
03-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine was purchased without a hood, and until I found an OEM one I used an Olympus 28mm metal hood from eBay. You can then use a 49mm filter on the lens and a 67mm lens cap on the hood.

03-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm partial to not using the hood, as it takes away some of the small size wow factor (and sleek red lettering). However, since with the cap in place the lens is no larger with or without the hood, and since it does add protection I'd say put it on, why not?
03-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
this hood is protecting the lens so well that I wouldnt worry about adding a UV filter for protection.
not saying that you may loose some of the lens quality.

moreover, this hood is so small and making the lens so sexy, keep it
+1

The only time I don't put the hood on mine is when I want/need to use my 49mm circular polarizer. Otherwise the hood stays on (and no UV/protective filter).
03-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
Inactive Account

The only time my hood was ever off the lens was when I bought it, then the Adorama salesman screwed on the 43mm UV filter and put it back on.
03-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm not trying to be jerk in saying this, but I'm genuinely surprised that anyone would risk sacrificing image quality by putting a protective filter on under the hood, when the hood is so protective on this lens. As others have said, I can see polarizers or ND filters, but I don't get the extra layer of glass just for protection. I think you'd have to really try to get something into that little rectangle to damage the front element.

RE: the OP, I feel like any time a hood isn't used you run the risk of losing some contrast. I have no data to back this up (other than the aforementioned reference to a past thread comparing 50mm lenses with and w/o hoods).
03-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The hood on my DA21mm doesn't bother me . I don't remember ever taking it off.

03-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Interesting about the possible loss of contrast.

Also, I guess I am just nervous about my glass. I shoot outdoors a lot and there are lots of opportunities for something to get to a regular lens. Maybe I'll feel better about the DA 21 hood (but I doubt it).

The second I unwrap a lens I put the UV filter on -- then I don't have to worry about it anymore. I usually buy pretty decent filters (Hoya Super HMC), and I do not see any loss of image image quality. But I could find one of those, so I opted for the Tiffen over the expensive B+W...

My plan at first is to use the hood with the Tiffen 43mm UV filter. We'll see if I see any image degradation...if so, then I'll likely either buy another filter, or lose the hood and use a 49mm filter...

Last edited by K206; 03-07-2011 at 10:45 PM.