Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #16

I also have the 12-24 and I have the slim B+W CPL always on it. I really love its quality, so much so that I switched all the CPLs for my other lenses to B+W. I believe they run a half stop darker than Hoya's upper level CPLs and, for me, I wanted that since I talk a lot of streamside / waterfall type shots.

03-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Great advice all!

Does anyone get vignetting with any B+W filter at 12mm?
03-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
Forum Member

CPL (or PL) with 12-24

QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
I also have the 12-24 and I have the slim B+W CPL always on it. I really love its quality, so much so that I switched all the CPLs for my other lenses to B+W. I believe they run a half stop darker than Hoya's upper level CPLs and, for me, I wanted that since I talk a lot of streamside / waterfall type shots.
Do you ever notice side-to-side gradations of darkening, using the polarizer with a wide angle lens like the 12-24? Roger Cicala of LensRentals mentioned this in his article on wide-angle lenses:
A Broad Guide to Ultra Wide

"Because the angle of view is so wide, the angle at which sunlight enters the sensor will vary from one side of the image to the other, unless the sun is behind you. For example, if the sun is to your left, the left side of the sky will appear lighter and less blue than the right. Wide angles love overcast days and lots of clouds. Pure blue sky—not so much.
A polarizing filter only polarizes light entering at certain angles, so it can actually make this phenomenon worse. Unless you absolutely need it, a polarizer is generally a bad idea on an ultra-wide lens."

Anyway, a good 77mm CPL for the 12-24 is going to run you over $100!
03-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've decided on the B+W slim UV for my 12-24.

The question is, if the lens is multi-coated does the filter need to be? The price difference is a bit over $25, which I'm willing to pay if need be, but not if the MC filter would be redundant with the MC lens.

Thanks.

03-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I've decided on the B+W slim UV for my 12-24.

The question is, if the lens is multi-coated does the filter need to be? The price difference is a bit over $25, which I'm willing to pay if need be, but not if the MC filter would be redundant with the MC lens.

Thanks.
Yes, you need mulit coating on the filter for the same reasons you need it on the lens--without MCing, you will be much more susceptible to flare.
03-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jeweltrail. Given the $100+ price for a B+W slim I wanted to double check.

Once again, this is a fantastic forum and group of people!
03-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Thanks Jeweltrail. Given the $100+ price for a B+W slim I wanted to double check.

Once again, this is a fantastic forum and group of people!
You are welcome. Yes, that is a lot of $$ to protect the lens. I do not use UV filters for lens protection, but when I do use a polarizer or ND Grad, I try to get the best I can afford.

If I were you, I would rather spend that $100 dollars towards an excellent polarizer, and keep that on the lens for protection. The MC of a filter comes into play when strong light sources are just outside of, or in, the composition. So, you could get by with a less expensive UV, so long as your shots are composed at a distance from the Sun. or other strong light sources.