Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax 12-24mm for birthday, WooHoo! Filter?

Howdy-

I just got an amazing birthday gift, the 12-24! I'm stoked.

My question is, when I used to use other systems I always kept on a filter, but now with Pentax and my other lenses I haven't, given the newer lens coatings, etc.

Now, looking at the larger front element of the 12-24 I'm wondering if I should get one for protection, but I absolutely don't want to noticeably affect the image quality of this fine lens. But at the same time with this nice hunk of glass out there I don't want to put it at risk.

Any thoughts or experience is greatly appreciated.

03-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, there's a lot of buffs around here who don't believe in filters... I use to be one of them. But now I keep a filter on my DA* 16-50mm for protection.

If you're going to get a filter, the best is a Hoya UV(0) or Hoya Pro1 d
03-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
maybe a cheap $10 77mm CPL. if you are going to use a filter for protection, might as well make it dual purpose.
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

No filter. Hood always, cap when not actually shooting.

03-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

If you get a protection filter, get a good multi-coated one. The cheap ones WILL show flare at times when good ones do not. I did some head-to-head testing with my DA15mm Ltd. to verify this. No $10 protection for me unless I'm in salt water spray with no other options.
03-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The 12-24 gets a lot of flare with filters, I've found. The front element has super-protect coating, so I wouldn't use a filter with this lens (the hood offers plenty of protection in case you were to drop it).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am from the No-Filter School: for lens protection. I do use 3 filters on my lenses (NDs, ND Grads & Polarizers) as the situation calls for them, to enhance a scene. I agree the hood provides nice protection.

03-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the responses. I greatly appreciate the points of view and information.

I've enjoyed being filter free with my Pentax lenses and have always used a hood anyway, so that's the direction I'll probably head with the 12-24 as well.
03-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Forum Member

totally agree with what's been said above, however I use a filter on my 31ltd which is my pride and joy because I find the hoods pretty small and not very protective - I also occasionally put filters on my other lenses if I think I need the extra protection depending on the outing
03-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on this fine lens acquisition. I have had one for a year and a half. It is a great lens and focal length range. With respect to filters. The only one I've used on mine is a CPL. You will get some vignetting around 12mm with any filter on the lens. I can say though that over the past half year I've really come to see that no filters are needed on this lens. Furthermore, with a CPL you will get somewhat odd looking skies at times because of the wide field of vision, part will be dark and part will not. Consequently, I've been going with out any filters on it now.
03-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am using a HAMA Multi Coated UV Filter on mine. I would never expose the front element to the elements. I get zero vignetting.
03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #12

slim, very important.

Great brands for filters are (incomplete list):
b&w - great glass and brass filter holder
heliopan - great glass and brass filter holder
hoya - great glas but aluminium filter holder (tends to jam more easily in the thread)

but - if benjikan uses a hama filter, there is definetely nothing to say against that
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've recently always used B+W and can't seem to find HAMA.

Does anyone know if the B+W is as thin and also doesn't vingette?
03-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #14

I use a Hoya super thin (3mm) UV(0) filter on mine. I haven't noticed any difference in vigneting and protects the front element very well.
03-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This is the lens that I recommend using a filter to protect the front glass element as it is bulging out and could be subject to harsh environment more so than flat glass such as strong wind. I also recommend using the best thin filter to avoid vignetting; I have the B+W UV filter on this one.

Also, since I use the 12-24mm quite frequently when I travel, that makes it very vulnerable to windy (mountain) and salty moist air (beach) conditions. On the other hand, I don't use filters on my DA* 16-50mm and 50-135mm lenses.