Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 04:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any warranty claims with FA limiteds?

I live in Australia and am considering purchasing one or two FA limiteds from Adorama or B&H but am concerned about the warranty not covering the lens when I use it over here. I have not seen too many negative posts about the construction of these lenses so can anyone please let me know if they have had to return one under warranty for any reason.

Cheers.

03-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had mine for about 18 months and it was purchased used. It is built like a tank and no problems. I would contact Adorama and B&H about international coverage (ask a question on their areas here on the forum). Pentax had a note on their web site about international coverage also...
03-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #3

I bought my DA 15 Ltd at B&H.
After an email I got an international warranty card delivered to me for free within 2 weeks.

Did not need it, the limiteds are veeeery robust
03-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Guys,
I'll chase it up.

03-07-2011, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

the only thing i've seen was on a pancake one guy had the whole front drop off (and it was noisy before this happened so there was warning) it's held in place with 3 small screws that lost their lock i would guess.
it was out of warranty but i believe Pentax still fixed it as it was an unusual exception case
make sure you get the card or no warranty for you. Is it that much cheaper here than Australia?
US to Canada seems almost on par now though occasionally the US is cheaper. your dollar is way up like ours it should have affected retail by now
03-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have had mine for about 18 months and it was purchased used. It is built like a tank and no problems.
Maybe they are built like a tank but still I've read about a number of people noticing a wobble or even the lens coming apart. Apparently, there are three small screws that can get lose or are not always tight from the beginning. I couldn't find the posts but IIRC forum member Axl was one of the guys reporting on this.

BTW, the posts in the "DA 40 Ltd fell apart" thread also suggest that it is not super rare for Ltd lenses to have have an issue.

On the whole, however, I'd say you are pretty safe to not run into trouble.
03-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the only thing i've seen was on a pancake one guy had the whole front drop off (and it was noisy before this happened so there was warning) it's held in place with 3 small screws that lost their lock i would guess.
it was out of warranty but i believe Pentax still fixed it as it was an unusual exception case
make sure you get the card or no warranty for you. Is it that much cheaper here than Australia?
US to Canada seems almost on par now though occasionally the US is cheaper. your dollar is way up like ours it should have affected retail by now
Unfortunately the price differential is still quite large - to buy a 43mm with a Pentax warranty is around $950 and 31mm is $1400. I asked the importer toprice match the 43mm and the best they could do is $700, they said the Adorama price is lower than they can get it for. Just wondered whether it was worth paying the extra $100 here to get the Aus warranty.
03-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
I live in Australia and am considering purchasing one or two FA limiteds from Adorama or B&H but am concerned about the warranty not covering the lens when I use it over here. I have not seen too many negative posts about the construction of these lenses so can anyone please let me know if they have had to return one under warranty for any reason.

Cheers.
I would worry more about BF & FF than warranty as strange as that sounds. I went through a saga of shipping 2 copies of 16-50 back to the states due to BF problems and it left me $170 out of pocket. But then I didn't have a body that had micro AF sdjustment (although the focus was so far off even that may not have helped).

After saying that though I haven't had that same problem with my limiteds.

By the way, in Australia the DA limiteds aren't a bad price, not worth importing (I got my DA40 for $370 & a DA70 for $535 back when the dollar was worth about 80c USD I tihnk).

However a FA31 is $1,350 which is about $250 more than getting one imported. I've never enquired on costs of FA43 or FA77 locally, I'm afraid to ask in case I accidently say "yes" like I once accidently bought a DA15 online.

Last edited by twitch; 03-07-2011 at 05:26 PM.
03-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Just wondered whether it was worth paying the extra $100 here to get the Aus warranty.
I think it is for $100, in case you get a dud copy or a BF/FF one. There's also no question mark over local warranty.

I paid extra for my FA31 locally, however it's a very close thing as to whether a FA31 will escape GST & import duties due to the less than generous exchange rate conversions customs use, and believe me the custom guys will sting you a couple of hundred dollars for the privilage (like what happened when I imported a 50-135 which was well under the limit, but bought an extended warranty which just tipped it over and I had to pay $200+ in duties, ouch).
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think it is for $100, in case you get a dud copy or a BF/FF one. There's also no question mark over local warranty.

I paid extra for my FA31 locally, however it's a very close thing as to whether a FA31 will escape GST & import duties due to the less than generous exchange rate conversions customs use, and believe me the custom guys will sting you a couple of hundred dollars for the privilage (like what happened when I imported a 50-135 which was well under the limit, but bought an extended warranty which just tipped it over and I had to pay $200+ in duties, ouch).
Thanks for the info twitch, I had completely forgotten about duties kicking in at $1000. I might have to save up a bit more for the 31.
03-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have to wonder when I hear about these horribly unfair prices you guys have to pay -- is it the same for other camera brands?
03-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Australia actually has very resonable prices for Pentax bodies and DA limited lenses. Zooms, especially DA*, and FA limiteds are a bit on the high side.

However Pentax is better relative value here than Nikon or Canon gear (particualry for bodies), which explains why there are a lot of Australians on the forum.
03-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #13

Original Poster
Australia actually has very resonable prices for Pentax bodies and DA limited lenses. Zooms, especially DA*, and FA limiteds are a bit on the high side.

However Pentax is better relative value here than Nikon or Canon gear (particualry for bodies), which explains why there are a lot of Australians on the forum.
Unfortunately the DA 15mm limited is not very competitive here, selling at around $875 currently. For some reason it has been way overpriced since I started following it nearly a year ago. The other limiteds don't seem too bad though.
03-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Unfortunately the DA 15mm limited is not very competitive here, selling at around $875 currently. For some reason it has been way overpriced since I started following it nearly a year ago. The other limiteds don't seem too bad though.
That's true, the 15 is the one limited I've bought from o/s for that reason.
03-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

...... say "yes" like I once accidently bought a DA15 online.
can't think of anything better to "accidentally" buy online.

B&H/Adorama + $60 freight vs local AUS online

FA43 is about $340 more in AUS
FA77 is about $370 more in AUS
FA31 is about $280 more in AUS incl. factoring in the duty/gst for buying USA

DA15 - $260 more
DA 21 - only $90 more
DA35macro - only $60 more
DA40 - only $40 more
DA70 - only $80 more
DFA100WR - $210 more

Bigger difference with the 16-50, 50-135, 200, 300 but you'd have to consider SDM-phobia-factor

I am 4 from 4 for getting good copies from the US ( no SDM tho') although luck has lttle to do with it

Last edited by steve1307; 03-08-2011 at 04:17 AM.