Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 535
When you get toward the wide end, every mm makes a big difference. I find the 15 a compromise between bending and flat. There are some tricks to using it, but they are not that difficult to master. Once you do, then you get into the creative aspects of this lens. Beyond all the praises heaped upon this jewel, it is a very creative lens, so creative, in fact, that I find it difficult to take it off my camera and find ways to use it when another FL makes more sense.

03-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Forum Member
miltllama's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 86
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I find the 15 a compromise between bending and flat. There are some tricks to using it, but they are not that difficult to master.
Any chance you could expand on this? Are there any general rules you follow when using the 15?
03-10-2011, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 535
OK: 15mm is like the breaking point between flat rendering and the bending of a fisheye effect, but you will notice some bending on the far sides if you have an item such as a tree or pole running vertically in the foreground. (Distant items do not bend.)
I'm careful to keep the horizon level and the camera angle level. You get some bending if you aim the camera down or up--not much--but if you point it down and have a verticle item running along the left or right edge of the frame in the foreground it is pretty noticable.
Have it level and nothing running vertically up the sides of the foreground, and you can't tell it is UWA at all, except that it contains a wide field of view.
It really shines around f-11, especially for using a foreground object to add depth to the image, but that foreground object needs to be within the center 1/2 or so (not on the edges). Do that, and everything from three feet or so to infinity will be sharp.
I use mine a lot for shots of people doing things too, and the main thing to remember with that is you have to be surprisingly close to the person. Placing them a foot too close causes some bending. Put them a foot too far and they look small.
Once you learn these things, it becomes a very creative lens.
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #19
Forum Member
miltllama's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 86
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
...
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate specific stuff like that! As if I wasn't excited to shoot with this lens already...

03-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member
henryjing's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 467
Tips: Shoot closer!
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
Tips: Shoot closer!
.

Yep.

.












03-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
Tips: Shoot closer!
Agreed.





03-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #23
Forum Member
Edmund's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 57
You will love the DA15. I found it easy to use after only a day or two; plus you cannot beat the lightness of that lens.

03-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
I have mentioned this before, but I'm not a "wide" guy usually. The DA15, however, clicked for me from the first time I mounted it (on my camera). It was so much fun to use that selling my 10-20 was an easy decision. I've never found it tricky at all, but I did struggle to get results I was happy with out of the 10-20. I think the 15 may be the limit of my ability, limited as it is. Ha! See what I did there?
03-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #25
MSD
Senior Member
MSD's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 164
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
The DA15, however, clicked for me from the first time I mounted it (on my camera). It was so much fun to use that selling my 10-20 was an easy decision. I've never found it tricky at all, but I did struggle to get results I was happy with out of the 10-20
That's the thing about the 15: other lenses may rival it in certain fields, but the fun and creativity that comes with a small, comfortable, ultawide angle lens like this with excellent image quality makes it one of the most popular and versatile lenses in the digital Pentax system. This is a reason why we love photography, this is the reason we love lenses with character, and this is why we love Pentax: a lens that makes one excited to look into the viewfinder, a lens that makes one excited to hold, use, and own, a lens to which no other compares. This is not about max aperture, corner sharpness or brand wars, it's just a lens that is fun to use and makes you WANT to put in the effort to learn how to use well.

This is what happens to me when I think about certain Pentax lenses, and I'm sure others do too.
03-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,311
QuoteOriginally posted by MSD Quote
That's the thing about the 15: other lenses may rival it in certain fields, but the fun and creativity that comes with a small, comfortable, ultawide angle lens like this with excellent image quality makes it one of the most popular and versatile lenses in the digital Pentax system. This is a reason why we love photography, this is the reason we love lenses with character, and this is why we love Pentax: a lens that makes one excited to look into the viewfinder, a lens that makes one excited to hold, use, and own, a lens to which no other compares. This is not about max aperture, corner sharpness or brand wars, it's just a lens that is fun to use and makes you WANT to put in the effort to learn how to use well.

This is what happens to me when I think about certain Pentax lenses, and I'm sure others do too.
Well spoken! I agree with it all. It aplyes on most of the Ltd to... Imo they done very good with them. I love my DA 15 and 40, looking forward to someday try the DA 70 as well.
03-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by MSD Quote
That's the thing about the 15: other lenses may rival it in certain fields, but the fun and creativity that comes with a small, comfortable, ultawide angle lens like this with excellent image quality makes it one of the most popular and versatile lenses in the digital Pentax system. This is a reason why we love photography, this is the reason we love lenses with character, and this is why we love Pentax: a lens that makes one excited to look into the viewfinder, a lens that makes one excited to hold, use, and own, a lens to which no other compares. This is not about max aperture, corner sharpness or brand wars, it's just a lens that is fun to use and makes you WANT to put in the effort to learn how to use well.

This is what happens to me when I think about certain Pentax lenses, and I'm sure others do too.
+1

Well said.

.
03-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #28
MSD
Senior Member
MSD's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 164
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
+1 Well said.
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Well spoken! I agree with it all. It aplyes on most of the Ltd to... Imo they done very good with them. I love my DA 15 and 40, looking forward to someday try the DA 70 as well.
Thanks, it's good to see that people agree.

The Limited (DA and FA) series' are all excellent lenses.
03-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 535
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I have mentioned this before, but I'm not a "wide" guy usually. The DA15, however, clicked for me from the first time I mounted it (on my camera). It was so much fun to use that selling my 10-20 was an easy decision. I've never found it tricky at all, but I did struggle to get results I was happy with out of the 10-20. I think the 15 may be the limit of my ability, limited as it is. Ha! See what I did there?
The 15 is much easier to learn than the 10-20, and especially easier than any fisheye zoom, because after you use it a short while, you begin to develop a photographic vision for composition. This is true of all primes, but especially concerning UWA.
03-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
The 15 is much easier to learn than the 10-20, and especially easier than any fisheye zoom, because after you use it a short while, you begin to develop a photographic vision for composition. This is true of all primes, but especially concerning UWA.
That would explain why I found the DA10-17 even harder to get used to than the 10-20. I sold it and got the 10mm prime fish-eye, which I like better, but I still have yet to produce any masterpieces with it, either. It's going to take a concerted effort on my part to really learn that lens.

Couldn't agree more on the 15 causing you to develop a "vision" on how to use it in short order. Definitely a big part of the fun of this lens.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, k-mount, pentax lens, skill, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape under difficult light conditions cem.kumuk Photo Critique 4 12-13-2010 03:16 PM
AE-L difficult to work with on K-x--or is it me? Ira Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 05-04-2010 07:16 PM
A difficult decision skamalpreet Welcomes and Introductions 6 06-24-2009 10:51 PM
So difficult to find jct us101 Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 12-28-2008 11:02 PM
Most difficult.... clarenceclose Post Your Photos! 7 01-28-2007 01:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top