Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

When you get toward the wide end, every mm makes a big difference. I find the 15 a compromise between bending and flat. There are some tricks to using it, but they are not that difficult to master. Once you do, then you get into the creative aspects of this lens. Beyond all the praises heaped upon this jewel, it is a very creative lens, so creative, in fact, that I find it difficult to take it off my camera and find ways to use it when another FL makes more sense.

03-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I find the 15 a compromise between bending and flat. There are some tricks to using it, but they are not that difficult to master.
Any chance you could expand on this? Are there any general rules you follow when using the 15?
03-10-2011, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

OK: 15mm is like the breaking point between flat rendering and the bending of a fisheye effect, but you will notice some bending on the far sides if you have an item such as a tree or pole running vertically in the foreground. (Distant items do not bend.)
I'm careful to keep the horizon level and the camera angle level. You get some bending if you aim the camera down or up--not much--but if you point it down and have a verticle item running along the left or right edge of the frame in the foreground it is pretty noticable.
Have it level and nothing running vertically up the sides of the foreground, and you can't tell it is UWA at all, except that it contains a wide field of view.
It really shines around f-11, especially for using a foreground object to add depth to the image, but that foreground object needs to be within the center 1/2 or so (not on the edges). Do that, and everything from three feet or so to infinity will be sharp.
I use mine a lot for shots of people doing things too, and the main thing to remember with that is you have to be surprisingly close to the person. Placing them a foot too close causes some bending. Put them a foot too far and they look small.
Once you learn these things, it becomes a very creative lens.
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #19
Forum Member

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate specific stuff like that! As if I wasn't excited to shoot with this lens already...

03-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Tips: Shoot closer!
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote

Yep.

03-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
Agreed.

03-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #23
Forum Member

You will love the DA15. I found it easy to use after only a day or two; plus you cannot beat the lightness of that lens.
03-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have mentioned this before, but I'm not a "wide" guy usually. The DA15, however, clicked for me from the first time I mounted it (on my camera). It was so much fun to use that selling my 10-20 was an easy decision. I've never found it tricky at all, but I did struggle to get results I was happy with out of the 10-20. I think the 15 may be the limit of my ability, limited as it is. Ha! See what I did there?
03-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #25
MSD

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
The DA15, however, clicked for me from the first time I mounted it (on my camera). It was so much fun to use that selling my 10-20 was an easy decision. I've never found it tricky at all, but I did struggle to get results I was happy with out of the 10-20
That's the thing about the 15: other lenses may rival it in certain fields, but the fun and creativity that comes with a small, comfortable, ultawide angle lens like this with excellent image quality makes it one of the most popular and versatile lenses in the digital Pentax system. This is a reason why we love photography, this is the reason we love lenses with character, and this is why we love Pentax: a lens that makes one excited to look into the viewfinder, a lens that makes one excited to hold, use, and own, a lens to which no other compares. This is not about max aperture, corner sharpness or brand wars, it's just a lens that is fun to use and makes you WANT to put in the effort to learn how to use well.

This is what happens to me when I think about certain Pentax lenses, and I'm sure others do too.
03-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MSD Quote
That's the thing about the 15: other lenses may rival it in certain fields, but the fun and creativity that comes with a small, comfortable, ultawide angle lens like this with excellent image quality makes it one of the most popular and versatile lenses in the digital Pentax system. This is a reason why we love photography, this is the reason we love lenses with character, and this is why we love Pentax: a lens that makes one excited to look into the viewfinder, a lens that makes one excited to hold, use, and own, a lens to which no other compares. This is not about max aperture, corner sharpness or brand wars, it's just a lens that is fun to use and makes you WANT to put in the effort to learn how to use well.

This is what happens to me when I think about certain Pentax lenses, and I'm sure others do too.
Well spoken! I agree with it all. It aplyes on most of the Ltd to... Imo they done very good with them. I love my DA 15 and 40, looking forward to someday try the DA 70 as well.
03-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSD Quote

+1

Well said.

03-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #28
MSD

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
+1 Well said.
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Well spoken! I agree with it all. It aplyes on most of the Ltd to... Imo they done very good with them. I love my DA 15 and 40, looking forward to someday try the DA 70 as well.
Thanks, it's good to see that people agree.

The Limited (DA and FA) series' are all excellent lenses.
03-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I have mentioned this before, but I'm not a "wide" guy usually. The DA15, however, clicked for me from the first time I mounted it (on my camera). It was so much fun to use that selling my 10-20 was an easy decision. I've never found it tricky at all, but I did struggle to get results I was happy with out of the 10-20. I think the 15 may be the limit of my ability, limited as it is. Ha! See what I did there?
The 15 is much easier to learn than the 10-20, and especially easier than any fisheye zoom, because after you use it a short while, you begin to develop a photographic vision for composition. This is true of all primes, but especially concerning UWA.
03-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The 15 is much easier to learn than the 10-20, and especially easier than any fisheye zoom, because after you use it a short while, you begin to develop a photographic vision for composition. This is true of all primes, but especially concerning UWA.
That would explain why I found the DA10-17 even harder to get used to than the 10-20. I sold it and got the 10mm prime fish-eye, which I like better, but I still have yet to produce any masterpieces with it, either. It's going to take a concerted effort on my part to really learn that lens.

Couldn't agree more on the 15 causing you to develop a "vision" on how to use it in short order. Definitely a big part of the fun of this lens.