Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma lenses are skyrocketing???

I have a few lenses that are in my amazon cart to decide which to purchase soon and they have jumped a 100$ ish bucks in the last few days, in a few cases all at once. Any ideas?

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC Lens

Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG RF

03-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen the same thing with Pentax lenses. I bought the DA* 50-135 from Amazon 2 years ago for about $750. I periodically spot check it's selling price and watched the price slide all over the place from around $730 all the way to the suggested list price of $1300. Mostly it has been selling for slightly more than I paid.
I suspect it's the same with a lot of their inventory.
03-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

with today's economy and weakening of the US $s, thats what to be expected. Louis Vuitton price increased recently for a bit, the price went up $200 to $500 on most of their bags...

Last edited by luke0622; 03-10-2011 at 08:11 AM.
03-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
I agree but its still a massive jump in just a few days.

03-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
with today's economy and weakening of the US $s, thats what to be expected. Louis Vuitton price increased recently for a bit, the price went up from $200 and up to $500 on most of their bags...
are these the same kind of bags or design? Louis Vuitton maybe Highend, but they vary as to what type of bag. also, $200 for a Louis Vuitton bag is darn cheap or even a bargain for a designer bag, are you sure it's not made in China? there has been a lot of Louis Vuitton knock-offs nowadays. I can't spot the difference honestly speaking, but my wife is so darn good on looking for flaws that makes them fake. in all of the women she met at work (approximately 200 people every day) and during her tenure, she can only cite 5 people in all entirety who actually have authentics.
03-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

with today's economy and weakening of the US $s, thats what to be expected
True enough. But it could, in addition, be a supply and demand problem. Perhaps they're expecting shortages in the lens in question. Lens manufacturers have a handful of assembly lines to complete their entire stock of lenses, so each time a new batch of a particular lens is made, the line has to be retooled. With their large, ever expanding line of lenses, perhaps Sigma doesn't expect to make a new batch of those lenses for some time to come, and shortages are expected.
03-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

what I meant

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
are these the same kind of bags or design? Louis Vuitton maybe Highend, but they vary as to what type of bag. also, $200 for a Louis Vuitton bag is darn cheap or even a bargain for a designer bag, are you sure it's not made in China? there has been a lot of Louis Vuitton knock-offs nowadays. I can't spot the difference honestly speaking, but my wife is so darn good on looking for flaws that makes them fake. in all of the women she met at work (approximately 200 people every day) and during her tenure, she can only cite 5 people in all entirety who actually have authentics.
what I meant that the price went up 200-500 dollars, I dont' think LV has any bags that are base priced, a wallet cost way more than that. There are tons of difference between the fake ones and real ones, even it's used, their bags does not devalue at all, you can find a 20-year-old bag that actually cost more than what they used to be.

03-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sometimes Amazon prices just plain jump around a lot, but I've observed there seem to be a certain number of seasonal price changes surrounding the holiday season and what comes after. I noticed while I was shopping for my photo monitor (Caught a little price war, last month, yay.) and subsequently talking about what they could be had for and also when I got my backup drive just this month that prices have been creeping upward in general. (The cheap-ways out were getting pricier, but I ended up grabbing something quite nice for what I expected to pay for 'solid.' Since I hope this'll last, I don't mind so much that my economizing was thwarted a little, but I did watch the options narrow. )

There are a number of factors that could change the pricing scheme of things out there: fuel costs shooting up and murmurs from China that they may start letting their currency correct so as to not overheat their economy, etc.
03-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

what I meant that the price went up 200-500 dollars, I dont' think LV has any bags that are base priced, a wallet cost way more than that. There are tons of difference between the fake ones and real ones, even it's used, their bags does not devalue at all, you can find a 20-year-old bag that actually cost more than what they used to be.
oh sorry about that. anyhow, you are right about the wallet. I just cant seem to fathom why people buy knock-offs and even had the audacity to parade them in public because of the name and expect people to be impressed by it?

anyways, as far as Sigma lenses are concerned, I'm not sure if they are really skyrocketing. for what it's worth, they are the cheaper alternative of the Pentax.
03-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You can use The Camelizer to see price history at some major online stores. It goes back two or three years for most items on Amazon for me and I think it's available as a plugin for Firefox and Chrome.
03-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

some of the new generation Sigmas will be going up as well due to changes. there are 3 WR lenses coming and all had higher MSP in the press release i saw, so expect higher street pricing as well (the 12-24 will be well more than the pentax now, but is still on my list as its FF so shootable on film - once i buy this i'll have to dump the DA14 to offset the cos i think))
03-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

At the risk of being obvious: If they're affordable, buy them. If not, don't. If prices are too high and people don't buy, prices will drop or the lenses will disappear. Let's see, I think the relevant terms are "supply and demand" and "price inelasticity". Some stuff sells at almost any (inelastic) price -- like petroleum and tobacco. Photographic professionals will pay increased prices for gear because that cost is a relatively minor part of doing business. Those of us without a *necessity* for specific items can buy something else, or nothing. If enough of us buy nothing, sellers will notice, and adjust either their prices or inventory or marketing. Ain't capitalism fun?
03-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #13

Original Poster
Today:

QuoteQuote:
Please note that the price of Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Large Aperture Wide Angle Lens for Pentax and Samsung DSLR Cameras has increased from $451.95 to $549.00
QuoteQuote:
Please note that the price of Pentax SMC 15mm f/4.0 DA ED AL Limited Wide Angle Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras has increased from $499.95 to $565.98
03-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sigma also reduced the price of the new 70-200mm f/2.8 OS HSM by $300.00.

It is all about sales. If Sigma is selling more than they can make they will raise the price. If sales are slow they will lower the price. I'm sure exchange rates have something to do with it, but supply and demand pretty much rule.

The new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 has been a really hot seller so far and with no NEW alternatives in a K-mount it will remain high or go higher.

Sigma is having so much success with fast primes like the 50mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.4 that it appears they will be rolling out more fast primes like the 135mm f/2, a new FF 35mm f/1.4, & a 24mm f/1.4.

Hopefully Pentax has some plans to release some new glass as well.
03-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to lens prices since the earthquake. The Yen has dropped but the supply chain is likely to be interrupted, making shortages likely. The power grid problems are causing factories all over Japan to shut down or cut production.