Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it possible to convert Minolta MD mount to K-mount?

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a Minolta MD mount lens to K-mount? Please give details if you know of a way.

Cheers,
Sam

Edit: Never mind, I found a thread that discusses mount conversion options in detail. Sorry, I didn't look hard enough before posting!

Last edited by samski_1; 03-08-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Stupidity
04-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #2

Seems someone has finally made an adaptor for this. Check out Buy lens adapter, lens converter, adapter ring, Minolta MD Lens to PENTAX Mount Adapter Infinity Focus at Aliexpress.com
04-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

These adapters have always existed. They use lens element to optically correct for infinity focusing. Even for nikon and canon lenses. However iq will decrease.
04-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How to use MD lenses on PK cameras:

* An optical adapter, as mentioned above, which act as short teleconverters and degrade IQ.
* Major surgery. I've adapted various lenses. I gave up on MD's. I'm not machinist enough.
* Reversed and/or on extension, for close-up / macro work. Argh, not ANOTHER macro lens!

I inherited a pile of really really nice MC/MD glass. I sold everything because they weren't reasonably adaptable to Pentax. If/when I ever get a NEX camera, I'll probably kick myself; but selling them raised money that can go for a NEX, so it's a no-win situation.

04-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have converted a Kiron 28mm F2 MD mount lens to K mount by using a flanged adaptor as the replacement mount.

It requires grinding / filing some of the aperture ring off so it does not hit the camera lens mount, as well as some special shims to ensure the correct spacing, and careful control of the distances because you need to remove in total of 1.74mm of material from the lens to convert the regestry distance from the 43.72mm of the Minolta to the 45.46mm of pentax..

If you cannot do that, you would need to re-adjust the infinity focus of th elens which was possible on the kiron lens but may not be possible on all lenses, especially minolta, because they did not need to make their lenses work on other cameras, independants did.
04-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #6

I had a brief period of experimentation with a MD->PK adaptor. This allowed exact infinity focus except on a 55mm Rokkor where the rear element would hit the adaptor before infinity was quite achieved.

It wasn't much use for shorter focal lengths because the optical element gave some magnification, and the IQ worsened more with wide-angles anyway. It wasn't much use with wide-aperture lenses because the IQ went downhill very rapidly wider than about f4, so the merits of those lenses were lost completely.. It wasn't much use with zooms because their inherent IQ isn't as good as primes to start with.

In fact it wasn't much use at all.

I took the glass part out making it a simple mount adaptor, in that mode some lenses would focus far enough out to be useful for portraits.

Then I sold the lenses on ebay and bought new ones.