Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A quick question guys

I just bid on a Super-Takumar 135/2.5 on fleabay. The item was to only be shipped to US or Canada. My high bid was $51.01. The last guy behind me was $40.00 at the end. I made my bid with about 9 or 10 seconds left. A guy from China outbid me at the 7 second mark. I didn't know he was from China at that moment, I lost, that's fine. But what happens now? If the seller doesn't ship to China am I next in line? Do I get the lens for $41.00? I don't want to pay $51.01 because in this scenario the price was driven up by a guy who wasn't supposed to bid. I don't know what happens next but I won't pay $51.01 it's not fair, I just hope I'm not given negative feedback.

10-20-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know for sure - but if it were me (from China) I would have asked about shipping ( I always do as some as US only) . I would assume you are second still - without fear of negative feedback. The ball is in the seller's court now - send them an Email and ask
10-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, according to this in the seller's description "relisted because the fellow from taiwan that had won the first go around on this lens thought he was in usa or canada, his handle is oldku, so if you have something for sale on ebay and to the usa or canada only just remimber oldku he is from taiwan." I guess it will go back on the block, again. I bet the seller is getting a bit frustrated if the buyer hadn't emailed him before the end of this auction. There weren't any questions asked on the auction page. And this was the winner's only bid. I'm hoping the seller contacts me and offers the lens for $41 but I'm not sure if that would be fair to the guy behind me although there were a couple of seconds in there that the proxy could have bid him higher if he had a higher bid entered.
I'll just wait and see what happens. Sure looked like a nice lens, though:-).
10-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow - I wonder if it is the sellers decression - offer to next highest bidder or relist - or if it is an Ebay rule ? That sucks for you for sure - good luck if they relist !

10-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The seller is only required to sell to the highest bidder. Since the highest bidder did not meet the requirements of the seller, the seller has the option to relist or to offer to the next higher bidder. Apparently he opted to relist.
10-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, ok, it's up to the seller, that's cool. But what price would I be indebted to pay? Would I have the right to refuse to pay $51.01? Since it was driven up by an ineligible bidder?

I won't pay $51.01 if offered, no way. Just because that would be to easy a way to drive a bidder to his maximum bid, if you know what I mean. I'm not saying this is happening and I doubt it is, but you just never know..........................
And I bet the seller relists, again, to avoid this kind of issue.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 10-20-2007 at 08:48 PM.
10-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having sold there many times the second place bid (to it's max) is is the price. Doesn't seem fair but the theory is that someone might have tried to bid between you and the 1st place guy at the same time and the other possible winners bid wouldn't even show up if the winners bid was .01$ higher. So it's your option to refuse a second place offer from the seller.

10-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now that sounds fair Peter, it would be my OPTION? I could refuse without fear of negative feedback?
10-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No the seller can't leave negative feedback against you and if he somehow could then you can have Ebay remove it. they will in certain cases. A non winning bid is not a contract until you agree to his offer. It is YOUR option at the point of a second chance offer not his.
10-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Now that sounds fair Peter, it would be my OPTION? I could refuse without fear of negative feedback?

I agree with Peter. The seller could only hold you to the sale if you agreed to the terms of the second chance offer. If you refuse the offer you're under no obligation so he would not be able to leave you any feedback whatsoever.
10-21-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the help:-).