Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First moments with the Voigtländer 125mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar [15 imgs]

(not sure if this belongs here or in Post Your Pictures; Mo, Toshi, Other mod, please move if it's better there)

Like the title says, my first 'moments' with the lens. Well, I went out into the back a few times, so a bit longer then the 'first few moments' -- just like the way that sounds. ... and, can I also say "I'm in love!" Color, sharpness, and complete lack of CA & purple fringing... This manual focus challenged shooter really appreciates the long throw of the focus ring ; on the other hand it's pretty funny how much you have to crank the ring going from focusing @ 15 inches to focusing @ 15 feet. And as my camera's display is busted, it felt like I was shooting film too. I noticed tho later tho, as the display is busted, I can't change the SR lens focal length. These first few were shot with the SR focal length set to 500mm!

I know the pix aren't 'outstanding', just sharing the fun I had in the renewed interest in the hobby LBA can bring, even with a broken camera! ;^) C&C always welcome.

Some Macros
Very gusty wind moving the leaves ruined a lot of shots. Here's a few decent ones.

All above here: Testing - Voigtländer Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm f/2.5

I know it's going to move any second now!
Nala having fun on a windy fall day. I couldn't talk her into playing in the sun tho... these were all shot in the shade.

As Zoe majestically looks on...

(should have changed the WB a bit on this one)

...and Nala wonders why Zoe isn't interested ...

All above here: Testing - Pentax K10D - Voigtländer 125/2.5 album | m8o | Fotki.com

Last edited by m8o; 10-20-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: correct a link's URL
10-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats...

On the new lens! Nice colors too.

BTW, that is a great looking dog... care to fill me in on the breed, etc?

thanks,

Nic
10-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yep, color is nice. they were shot raw so of course, some post processing. but color's there. the bokeh is really great with 9 blades on the aperture which can't be 'faked' (or looks faked when it is). the dogs breed are Shiba Inu; a Japanese breed. The one playing with the leaf (nala) is approaching 2 years old now, the other (zoe) is getting close to 8. yep, they are striking breeds; incredible looking puppies!
10-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Igilligan

Howdy,
the dog shots are wonderful. The colors are so good. I want that lense so bad... I have seen such great macros from it, but the portrait photos are just as remarkable.
I also want one of those beautiful dogs.... never seen one before but I will never forget that face.
What will cost me more the lens or the dog??? Is the dog good with kids? Is the lens good with kids?

10-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really like this focal length. being a neophyte, I'm imagining it's probably a bit longer then 'traditional' portrait photographers would use in the studio (?) (maybe not?), but works really well in the open where you aren't too far away, but can't or shouldn't be on top of your subject either, but still fills the frame and isolate your subject.

What it is about those dogs are their almond eyes and positioning of their ears. Very fox-like.

The two Shiba Inus of mine have diametrically opposed personalities. Zoe adores us but is very timid and frightened of people she hasn't had a lot of contact with; so not friendly to strangers but very loving to her friends. Nala is the most friendly gregarious dog I know. She would leave with any stranger and fall right in with them and be completely happy and not miss us one bit! (we did 'rescue' her at 6 months old from a kennel where she had been kept for a month after an owner left her there after not being able to keep her, so we weren't her 1st love). Nala is also the biggest brat in the world; goes out of her way to body slam my other dogs, and nip @ them, trying to instigate play or a contest of superiority. Both are great with kids like my niece or friend's kids. Zoe has no idea she could 'fight back' if a kid was overwhelming (she runs away with tail down). Nala, I might worry about giving a little 'nip' if the kid pushes her too far. I haven't seen that tho. Oh, and the breed is said not to be a barker ... don't believe it! At least neither of mine conform to that.
10-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful photos and dogs. I've never seen that breed before either but they are beautiful.
10-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
Forum Member

Here's my first formal shot with the Voigt 125. Not a macro range photo, I know.

Nevertheless, I think I'll like this lens...

10-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, Gavin, is that HDR or just saturation increase in PP of a RAW shot?

10-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
Forum Member

I went a little over the top with PP in Lightroom---cranked the saturation to the eleven position :-)

Oh yeah, K10D, f/9.5, 1/6s, tripod.

-Gavin
10-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
Forum Member

How were you able to manually focus on the dogs?--no small feat with moving targets.

-Gavin
10-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #11
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No super skillz here. That's the funny part ... I'm not kidding with the headline ("I know it'll move any second now"). You'll see in the 1st shot Nala was keying in on a moving leaf. Then she was like a statue standing above the leaf with focus on nothing but it, waiting for it to move (by the wind, but I don't think she knew the wind was behind it moving). So she was conveniently still for quite some seconds at a time. Ya, with the throw of that lens, there's no tracking her as she runs around once the wind started moving the leaf(ves).

so was that bold look from HDR or processing? I have to get a tripod for some HDR as well as muti-exposure averaging mode. (gotta get the camer fixed 1st)

Last edited by m8o; 10-21-2007 at 11:11 PM.
10-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some additions for today. As the rear screen is 'out', I really messed up the exposure on many of them. I did take a shot in the dark and just hit the back arrow and arbitrary # of times; seems the force was with me and I set the SR lens length setting from 500mm to 120mm ... so I -could- have used it for aobut 3 stops increase in exposure, but I didn't realize I had scored the correct focal length until d/l'ing the images onto the computer. So instead, I have pretty bad banding on these macro shots as they were pretty underexposed.... (need noise ninja too!)

Under-exposed (so when boosted makes for) Noisy Bokeh!
edit: removed the noisier ones; going to redo them and re-post.

800x800 crop of a pic of a piece of dried leaf measuring a fraction of an inch, stuck in a crack of my deck's railing. I never use flash, but as the sun had set, had to. I know flash is used a lot in Macro; I have to start using it.

Last edited by m8o; 10-22-2007 at 06:07 PM.
10-21-2007, 11:44 PM   #13
Forum Member

The bold look was achieved via PP of RAW file in Lightroom. No HDR at all. I cranked the saturation up to eleven. :-)

Shot with K10D.

-Gavin
10-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
The bold look was achieved via PP of RAW file in Lightroom. No HDR at all. I cranked the saturation up to eleven. :-)
Shot with K10D.
-Gavin
Ya, sorry for asking a 2nd time. I see there's a post there now stating the 'specs' of the image shot before the post where you asked about the dogs. I don't know why I didn't see that post the 1st time and asked a 2nd time!

Great exposure and sharpness none the same to be able to boost it that way and have those results. I know it's not 'real' looking (more like 'hyper-real'), but a striking image non-the same; glad you shared. When I look @ my posts I think some are 'over boosted', but surprisingly wen I go back to the in LR (I use that too) I didn't really increase vibrance, and saturation all that much. The color's are really there (so I should have been more sparing in how much I did turn it up is the end result). I am going to redo the 'noisy' pics I posted previously on the 2nd round (and now removed) to to try to 'recover' the images better; I didn't like the results. Heck, may just shoot new ones late afternoon today before I lose the light.
10-24-2007, 12:20 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Wow... love the sharpness and bokeh of this lens! And, really dig your dogs! Just beautiful! Love that shot of the one dog, nose down to the leaf.