Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Da 200mm

Ok, got my new DA 200mm 2.8 lens about two weeks ago. First time i got to play with it yesterday. Put the lens on, put the camera on a tripod and pointed out the window,window glass was up, and hit the focus, and nothing. Checked all the settings and the lens is on AF, camera is on AF-C. Nothing. So, i manually focus the lens, and then move it slightly out of focus, and hit the focus button, and it does focus this time. Move the lens out again, and it does focus. Is this because it was at the farthest point of out of focus that it did not focus, or is there another problem with the lens?

03-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure why this could be, but did have the same issue with a macro that was ridiculously out of focus. You'd think it'd start hunting instead of just doing nothing, though!
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Exactly. I thought the motor was DOA until i tried to focus the lens.
03-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had this happen also - as if the camera couldn't 'catch on' to the SDM at infinity focus distance. Not sure why this happens but I'm also unsure of its relevance as I had that experience for a long time and the SDM was still functioning for years afterwards.

03-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
As a long time Nikon and current Sony user, i have never had a lens do this. I am not saying other brands are better, its an experience i have not had. Usually a lens will hunt like Adam said. I have had that more times than i care to remember. But, this lens did nothing at all.
I do not know if this is relevant to SDM or not. Thats why i asked since i am new to this system.
03-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #6

This happened to me on a very cold night in San Francisco. I thought the motor was dead. I put the lens away until I got back on BART then low and behold, it worked again. It happened to me again the next week, same conditions. I put the lens under my jacket for 30mins to warm it up and it came back to life. Sounds like yours was indoors so maybe this is not your issue.
03-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #7

Vario, I saw your other thread about the 300mm. Are you keeping the 200mm? Was the 200mm not long enough? I'd like to get one or the other some day.

03-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yes, keeping the 200 as its IQ is excellent. I wanted the 300 for the 100 extra reach, but, none new are to be found.
Joe