Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
For outside portraits, I would go with the FA 50 1.4 over the DA35 2.4. The 35mm is a little too wide for outdoors but indoors its pretty good. I personally have the 35 2.4 and a M50 1.4. Both I find really good depending on situation. If I remember corrrectly the FA50 1.4 is same design as the M50 1.4? If it is I find it really good in sharpness.
Thanks for your insight, I appreciate it.

03-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For portraits, I wouldn't recommend 35mm. I have 35/2 and it's an excellent lens too but when it comes to portrait, I use FA50 or FA77
03-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
For portraits, I wouldn't recommend 35mm. I have 35/2 and it's an excellent lens too but when it comes to portrait, I use FA50 or FA77
Thanks! I'm loving the feed back from the people that really own these lenses. Nothing like actual experience!
03-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I owned the FA 50 f/1.4 but when someone gave me an A 50 f1.7 I sold the FA. I think the IQ and bokeh on the A lens is better, especially corners wide open (but with portraits that isn't much of a problem) I also own the DA 35mm f/2.4 and really like the lens, but to echo several posters I don't think it's much of a portrait lens, I'd go with my FA 43mm ltd, the A 50 or the FA 77ltd for portraits. The DA 35mm is great for landscapes, snaps and "artsy" stuff tho. Lately I've been using it as my walkaround lens.

NaCl(if you can handle manual focus go the the A 50 f1.7 instead, easier to find and cheaper)H2O

03-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I owned the FA 50 f/1.4 but when someone gave me an A 50 f1.7 I sold the FA. I think the IQ and bokeh on the A lens is better, especially corners wide open (but with portraits that isn't much of a problem) I also own the DA 35mm f/2.4 and really like the lens, but to echo several posters I don't think it's much of a portrait lens, I'd go with my FA 43mm ltd, the A 50 or the FA 77ltd for portraits. The DA 35mm is great for landscapes, snaps and "artsy" stuff tho. Lately I've been using it as my walkaround lens.

NaCl(if you can handle manual focus go the the A 50 f1.7 instead, easier to find and cheaper)H2O
Again great insight! Thank you! I think because I prefer portraiture over landscape the FA50 is probably a better choice. The FA43 and the FA77 are out of my price range sadly. I would consider the A 50 but I already have a M 50 and I'm trying to get a AF alternative to that lens.

Thanks again!
03-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by s.randy Quote
Again great insight! Thank you! I think because I prefer portraiture over landscape the FA50 is probably a better choice. The FA43 and the FA77 are out of my price range sadly. I would consider the A 50 but I already have a M 50 and I'm trying to get a AF alternative to that lens.

Thanks again!
I've used both the FA 50 and A 50 1.7, I plan right now on finding another FA 50 (to replace my 40 and K 55).

My experience is that the 50 1.7 is really good wide open, but as you stop the thing down it can get a little ugly. The 50 1.4 is a softer lens overall, but it looks nicer stopped down (the bokeh is smooooth).

For portraits ONLY, the 1.7 is really good. Bokeh is great from 1.7 - 2.8. After that, though, it begins to show it's limitations.

The 50 1.4, due to autofocus, soft rendering around f2 (nice for portraits) and killer-sharp rendering past 2.8 (on par or better than the 1.7) with smoother bokeh, I think if you can live with the focal length it's a really good all-around. In other words, you can get your great landscapes at f8, and your portraits at f2. f4 is going to give you nice sharpness/subject separation.

It is a little right indoors, but in general, a 50 is where it is at for price-performance.

IF you are only using the lens at low apertures though, (below f2.8) you could try and find the F50 1.7, and save yourself about 100 bucks. It's a great poor man's fa43 (which is just brutally sharp).
03-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I've used both the FA 50 and A 50 1.7, I plan right now on finding another FA 50 (to replace my 40 and K 55).

My experience is that the 50 1.7 is really good wide open, but as you stop the thing down it can get a little ugly. The 50 1.4 is a softer lens overall, but it looks nicer stopped down (the bokeh is smooooth).

For portraits ONLY, the 1.7 is really good. Bokeh is great from 1.7 - 2.8. After that, though, it begins to show it's limitations.

The 50 1.4, due to autofocus, soft rendering around f2 (nice for portraits) and killer-sharp rendering past 2.8 (on par or better than the 1.7) with smoother bokeh, I think if you can live with the focal length it's a really good all-around. In other words, you can get your great landscapes at f8, and your portraits at f2. f4 is going to give you nice sharpness/subject separation.

It is a little right indoors, but in general, a 50 is where it is at for price-performance.

IF you are only using the lens at low apertures though, (below f2.8) you could try and find the F50 1.7, and save yourself about 100 bucks. It's a great poor man's fa43 (which is just brutally sharp).
Great information, thanks a ton!!

03-09-2011, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by s.randy Quote

Thanks again!

Do you want to know what the difference is between a 35mm, and a 50mm lens is?
A few steps in one direction or the other! That’s it! Nothing more, nothing less.

Whichever lens you choose, that is the correct one! If you find it is to close then simply step back, if it is to far then step forward. People in forums over complicate everything, and usually do so because they like to feel important and or are in love with the sound of their own voice!

The more you read from measurebators about how this angle is "unflattering", or that size is "-------" (insert what ever word will make you feel important and or sound like you know what you are talking about), the more time you are wasting , just go out and take photos.

One thing I learned Many, Many years ago in photography is there is "NO RIGHT OR WRONG". If you like your photos then no matter what equipment you used or what technique you applied is irrelevant. All that matters is you are happy. If you are a Pro (which 99.99% here are NOT) and nobody is buying your work or paying you for it. Then yes, you are doing something “wrong” and or need to adapt to what your “Paying” customers want. Other then that it’s all just a Hobby! And nobody else's opinion matters

Remember this, A real Pro can shoot any subject with any piece of equipment and get what everyone else will claim are good results. Even if they aren't! Confused?

Give a pro a 10 dollar P&S, a phone cam, the most expensive latest & greatest or a crayon and paper and He or She will produce something with it. Will it be good? Maybe, maybe not. It's not the equipment that will determine this - its the Pro, The Customers, the wannabees and You that will. If you like it, great if you don't that is also great. But I can guarantee you this even if its crap, all the wannabees will claim it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

You can test this theory at any gallery or Photo trade show. Have your 5 year old niece take a photo with a B&W relic film camera, then have some Respected “know - it - All“ claim it's a "long lost - Ansel Adams" original and watch the people drool over it. Yes that was Exaggerated, but only Just! See the Point?

It’s not the equipment or the Lens – It’s you that make a great photo.
Learn to use your feet or just buy a Zoom Lens if you can’t or refuse to.

Last edited by Bramela; 03-09-2011 at 09:55 PM.
03-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I'll stick with my K 50mm f/1.4, thank you very much.
Of course, that was a tongue in cheek comment. I myself am contemplating replacing my fa with a takumar. I don't use a 50 all that much.
03-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Hi guys, if I may piggy back off of this.

I'm considering getting the DA40mm but what are thoughts about the DA L 35mm f2.4 in comparison? I'm concerned about the build quality of the 35mm.

Thanks
John
03-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote

I'm considering getting the DA40mm but what are thoughts about the DA L 35mm f2.4 in comparison? I'm concerned about the build quality of the 35mm.

Thanks
John
DA 35 has a good build, too.

DA 40 is slightly higher contrast / colour, but I think the DA 35 is a better bang-for-the-buck.
03-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #27

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote

Thanks
John
Having used the DA40 for a few weeks now, I'd recommend it very highly. It just takes pictures that have a real wow factor to them. Right out of the camera they are tack sharp, very 3 dimensional and oozing with contrast. I love this lens. That said I've only seen photos from the DAL 35, and never used it, but the images I've captured look a bit better to my eye then some of the better images from the 35. Obviously the 35 is all plastic and the 40 is all metal, not sure why such a fuss is made of plastic mounts, but I guess they fall apart some times.
Can't go wrong either way.
03-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HEAHA Quote
Do you want to know what the difference is between a 35mm, and a 50mm lens is?
A few steps in one direction or the other! That’s it! Nothing more, nothing less.

Whichever lens you choose, that is the correct one! If you find it is to close then simply step back, if it is to far then step forward. People in forums over complicate everything, and usually do so because they like to feel important and or are in love with the sound of their own voice!

The more you read from measurebators about how this angle is "unflattering", or that size is "-------" (insert what ever word will make you feel important and or sound like you know what you are talking about), the more time you are wasting , just go out and take photos.

One thing I learned Many, Many years ago in photography is there is "NO RIGHT OR WRONG". If you like your photos then no matter what equipment you used or what technique you applied is irrelevant. All that matters is you are happy. If you are a Pro (which 99.99% here are NOT) and nobody is buying your work or paying you for it. Then yes, you are doing something “wrong” and or need to adapt to what your “Paying” customers want. Other then that it’s all just a Hobby! And nobody else's opinion matters

Remember this, A real Pro can shoot any subject with any piece of equipment and get what everyone else will claim are good results. Even if they aren't! Confused?

Give a pro a 10 dollar P&S, a phone cam, the most expensive latest & greatest or a crayon and paper and He or She will produce something with it. Will it be good? Maybe, maybe not. It's not the equipment that will determine this - its the Pro, The Customers, the wannabees and You that will. If you like it, great if you don't that is also great. But I can guarantee you this even if its crap, all the wannabees will claim it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

You can test this theory at any gallery or Photo trade show. Have your 5 year old niece take a photo with a B&W relic film camera, then have some Respected “know - it - All“ claim it's a "long lost - Ansel Adams" original and watch the people drool over it. Yes that was Exaggerated, but only Just! See the Point?

It’s not the equipment or the Lens – It’s you that make a great photo.
Learn to use your feet or just buy a Zoom Lens if you can’t or refuse to.
Quite the interesting post, really tho all I wanted to know was some comparison based on personal experience as to whether or not the build quality, optical performance and price ratios made one of these a better choice over the other.

I know the difference between focal lengths!

I do agree with most of what you said, however, if I set my crappy kit lens to 50mm take a photo, swap it out for my M 50mm f1.7, take the same photo, my skills aren't going to make the one with the kit lens come out just as good...

Plus I'm a broke hobby photographer, if I buy a lens that's the only lens I'm getting all year so I can't just hope on the fact that as long as I'm happy the IQ is good.

Last edited by s.randy; 03-10-2011 at 01:02 PM.
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

If its the only lens you are going to get all year, I would try a different focal length to what you already have. m series fifty you have is already very good, so I would try the new 35. I have no personal experience with the new 35 but seeing various forum posts raving about it and chaining its better than the fa35, I would be very tempted to give it a go.
03-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
If its the only lens you are going to get all year, I would try a different focal length to what you already have. m series fifty you have is already very good, so I would try the new 35. I have no personal experience with the new 35 but seeing various forum posts raving about it and chaining its better than the fa35, I would be very tempted to give it a go.
You bring up good points, that's why I was originally leaning toward that 35 but after a lot of the feed back I got from this it seemed like the 50 is still better for portrait stuff. Also I want to pick up a lens for the AF more so than the focal length so it wouldn't bother me to have another 50. I see you stated earlier that you don't use 50 much so it could be a preference based on style. Thanks for your feed back tho, who knows between now and and the end of the month I might swing back towards the 35 it just depends on my research and evaluation of the pros vs cons of both.