Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward the DA 40. Will be my next lens.

03-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward the DA 40. Will be my next lens.
The DA 40 and the FA 50 are the same price right now on Amazon but I don't know being a bokeh lover the DA 35 and the DA 40 don't seem fast enough. And the focal length isn't that important to me; like someone said earlier that's just a few steps back or forward.
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by s.randy Quote
Also I want to pick up a lens for the AF more so than the focal length
I went down the same path, ie sold an M50/1.4 and bought a FA50/1.4 for the ease of use (AF, P mode etc) but I feel it was a step in the wrong direction. The reason I feel that way is because my objectives were not really met, AF doesn't really work all that well upto about F2, and I wasn't too happy with the sharpness either till about F2. I also lost the nice manual focusing that I enjoyed with the M lens. I bought the FA 50/1.4 when it was less than 200 dollars new, so it doesnt worry me all that much, but at todays prices it would be a different story. So now I mainly use the FA 50/1.4 for outdoor portraits, but my only available subjects run away when they see me approaching with a camera, so the lens just sits in a cupboard gathering dust. I still dont want to part with because its the fastest lens I have, so to get over that hangup, I've bought a SMC Takumar 50/1.4, which is waiting in the post office for me to pick up today. I prefer Takumars to M lenses because its possible to shoot in Av mode.
03-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA 40 and the FA 50 are the same price right now on Amazon
Or pick up an FA50 used on the marketplace and it'll be less than the DA40

03-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #35

Original Poster
I hate to say this but I think I have changed my mind, all the post on my thread about this damn DA 40 made me look at it closer...I think I'm leaning towards that lens now
03-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Or pick up an FA50 used on the marketplace and it'll be less than the DA40
DA 40 is a great lens, but the FA 50 is way more bang for the buck even at the same price. The FA 50 cheaper... it's really really nice.
03-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
DA 40 is a great lens, but the FA 50 is way more bang for the buck even at the same price. The FA 50 cheaper... it's really really nice.
The DA 40 is sharper that the FA50 isn't it?
03-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #38

Need help from someone who has used both hopefully. I have a K-x and a M 50mm f1.7; I love that lens but I would like to have a AF alternative. I like the idea of another 50mm in the FA f1.4 but I was think maybe save some money and just get the DA 35mm f2.4 since I already have the 50 coverage. Any suggestions??

Also I like outdoor portraits the most and plan to piece together a single strobe set up...if that helps.
I was in almost the same situation a while back. Finally decided to go with the 35 2.4 -- and I am very happy with that decision. I use that lens almost exclusively for walk around, indoor, and photos of children's plays, etc. Go for it!

03-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #39

The DA 40 is sharper that the FA50 isn't it?
Da 40 is pretty damn sharp wide open, all the way across the frame. IQ goes to DA 40, speed goes to FA 50. Personally went with the da40 for all round lens, in part because I too have a fast 50 M series. DA 40mm is also supposed to be the fastest AF lens in pentax lot.
03-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #40

i have a m 50mm f1.7 and just picked up the new 35mm f2.4 and love it. my next prime will probably be something wider, looking at 15mm or 21mm ltd. also, i think 40mm is a bit close to 50mm if it's the only lens you pick up this year, if you want some variety.
03-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
i have a m 50mm f1.7 and just picked up the new 35mm f2.4 and love it. my next prime will probably be something wider, looking at 15mm or 21mm ltd. also, i think 40mm is a bit close to 50mm if it's the only lens you pick up this year, if you want some variety.
How does the it compare to the M 50 in respect to portraits and bokeh?
03-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
Da 40 is pretty damn sharp wide open, all the way across the frame. IQ goes to DA 40, speed goes to FA 50. Personally went with the da40 for all round lens, in part because I too have a fast 50 M series. DA 40mm is also supposed to be the fastest AF lens in pentax lot.
Sounding very tempting!
03-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #43
MSM
Veteran Member

Here is my $.02. You already have a 50mm. I have the same M50 1.7. It is a great lens and certainly can still be used for portraits (subjects permitting). I also have lenses covering both the 35 and ~40 mm range. The DA 35 and 40 are both great lenses from what I have seen. I would say that given your situation, your next purchase will be your only AF lens at least for a while. Right? That being said, I would go lean to the 35 mm. In my experience it is always easier to move a little closer than move back, especially indoors. There is also a small speed advantage with the 35 mm. You will love the AF and likely put the 50 mm aside. The slightly wider angle of the 35 may come in handy. Also, you might want to check and see which lens has the closer minimum focusing distance. As a walk around lens, it is great to have the ability to take detail shots and close up shots. If you later want a more dedicated portrait lens or just one with greater reach, look at the 70 mm or 77 mm.

You also mentioned bokeh particularly with the fast 50/1.4. I think many come into photography (myself included) thinking they need really fast glass like an f:1.4 especially for portraits to make them 'pop.' While the many virtues of the faster glass are true (like they tend to be better lenses (and more expensive) in general, brighter in the VF, sharper stopped down, etc. relative to slower primes and zoom lenses),many over emphasize the need for shallow depth of field. If your intent is to shoot portraits, kids no less, shooting wide open is an exercise of futility, IMO. I have tons of shots in the recycle bin of photography where my child moves ever so slightly and one eye is in focus and the other is not. The benefit of the DA lenses from what I have seen here is that they are great 'wide open.' You will probably get your best portraits with the lens stopped down to 4 or 5.6 or 8 anyway. I know some will disagree because they only shoot in EV 4 conditions. To that I say it is time to bring in off camera flash.
03-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Here is my $.02. You already have a 50mm. I have the same M50 1.7. It is a great lens and certainly can still be used for portraits (subjects permitting). I also have lenses covering both the 35 and ~40 mm range. The DA 35 and 40 are both great lenses from what I have seen. I would say that given your situation, your next purchase will be your only AF lens at least for a while. Right? That being said, I would go lean to the 35 mm. In my experience it is always easier to move a little closer than move back, especially indoors. There is also a small speed advantage with the 35 mm. You will love the AF and likely put the 50 mm aside. The slightly wider angle of the 35 may come in handy. Also, you might want to check and see which lens has the closer minimum focusing distance. As a walk around lens, it is great to have the ability to take detail shots and close up shots. If you later want a more dedicated portrait lens or just one with greater reach, look at the 70 mm or 77 mm.

You also mentioned bokeh particularly with the fast 50/1.4. I think many come into photography (myself included) thinking they need really fast glass like an f:1.4 especially for portraits to make them 'pop.' While the many virtues of the faster glass are true (like they tend to be better lenses (and more expensive) in general, brighter in the VF, sharper stopped down, etc. relative to slower primes and zoom lenses),many over emphasize the need for shallow depth of field. If your intent is to shoot portraits, kids no less, shooting wide open is an exercise of futility, IMO. I have tons of shots in the recycle bin of photography where my child moves ever so slightly and one eye is in focus and the other is not. The benefit of the DA lenses from what I have seen here is that they are great 'wide open.' You will probably get your best portraits with the lens stopped down to 4 or 5.6 or 8 anyway. I know some will disagree because they only shoot in EV 4 conditions. To that I say it is time to bring in off camera flash.
You bring up excellent points! Even though it just makes me think that much harder Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm loving all this great feed back from everyone!! I noticed you have the DA 35mm f2.8 Macro; just checking you know I'm only looking at the DA 35mm f2.4 right??
03-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I have owned the FA 50 1.4 and currently own the DA 35mm 2.8 Macro. so that lens is not quite exactly what you are looking at, but I'll chime in anyways. I am not a pro photographer of any sort, but I'm am the photo enthusiast where I work so anything photography related heads my way. I have to take photos of new employees for badges that they have to wear and I used the FA 50mm extensively for this task. I was always very happy with the headshots it gave me, however for the same headshots from my 43mm limited I am standing uncomfortably close so I can't even imagine how close I'd have to stand to do the same at 35mm focal length. Now, obviously most people would not use a 35mm lens for headshots but as it is, that's the situation I find myself in.

I was extremely happy with the photos that I've taken with my FA 50 lens and only sold it because I had bought the FA 43mm limited and I eventually plan on picking up the 77mm limited. I also don't normally shoot people so portraits aren't my thing. I will post two portraits taken with my 50mm lens for your inspection. One is the photo I took of my girlfriend and the other is one she took of me. My girlfriend is not a photographer of any sort at all so you can see that the lens is a very user friendly one, especially with autofocus turned on.

Photo I took of her at f/1.4 at sunset while she and I were riding a train at 1/100 of a sec. ISO 200:

Photo she took of me. Aperture was not recorded so I'm not sure, must have had it off the "A" setting. but this is the FA 50 f/1.4:

Now, also let me tell you how great of a walk around lens this is, to me. First actually, I'll tell you that I had listed the lens on the marketplace and had many offers for it in the $250-275 range. I listed it for $300 and that's what it was going to take to sell it because I loved it so much. I ended up selling it for $280 plus shipping on ebay, but that's just because I had too many other lenses close to that focal length and have 2 Super Tak 50 f/1.4's. Anyways, people say the lens is soft, and maybe in the corners it is but I had no real issues with sharpness nor using autofocus at wide open. At least, none that I can fault the lens for. 1.4 IS a very narrow DoF so if you aren't steady and spot on with whatever method you use for focusing, you can get in situations where the camera is jumping from one flower to the leaf right behind it or something like that. Anyways, I'll share some walkaround photos I've taken with the lens:

I don't know which aperture I had used for the above photos because I can't seem to drop the habit of using the aperture ring as opposed to the "A" setting, but those are two shots I really enjoy. Oh, speaking of the aperture ring, the DA lenses don't have one. BOO i say. Can't use them on most of my Pentax 35mm SLR's unless I only want to shoot wide open which disappointed me when I first got my DA 43mm Limited lens.

One last set of images I'd like to share (this is a photography forum and this thread is sadly lacking in photos!). I was also really surprised with the FA 50 just how much detail can be seen when shooting a subject at quite the distance and cropping down to the subject itself. I shot these people fishing and didn't really think much of it, but when I got home and cropped down to just the people fishing I was really surprised at the detail from such a small portion of the original photo. I don't know if this is what is meant by the resolving power of a lens, but it's what I say in my head when I think of this situation.

and here is the crop:

That, to me, is a photo within a photo.

So in conclusion, my recommendation...grab the FA 50 f/1.4 AND buy a Pentax-M 35mm if you really want that focal length. the M 35 would be great for set portrait work in studio/home and landscapes where and the 50 great for so many other things!!!

Thanks. *steps down from podium*

Last edited by irishwhite; 03-11-2011 at 12:45 AM.