Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
If you aren't worried about the wider focal lengths and just want AF for your preferred length for portraits I think the 40mm ltd and 50mm would both work. The main difference I find is the actual size of the lens. The one negative of the 40mm is that it is so small that there isn't much to grab on to, and I like to put my hand under the lens usually. So I would probably prefer the 50mm AF because it is physically larger and faster and a tighter focal length for portraits.

03-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
If you aren't worried about the wider focal lengths and just want AF for your preferred length for portraits I think the 40mm ltd and 50mm would both work. The main difference I find is the actual size of the lens. The one negative of the 40mm is that it is so small that there isn't much to grab on to, and I like to put my hand under the lens usually. So I would probably prefer the 50mm AF because it is physically larger and faster and a tighter focal length for portraits.
I keep trying to sell myself on the FA 50 but I have searched for hours on Flickr looking at every photo I could from the FA 50 and I don't find many stand out to me. I feel like it should be better than the cheap DA 35mm f2.4 but honestly the few photos I have found from the DA35 f2.4 look better than the FA 50.

I don't...if anyone is reading this and has some great shots from either than post them up on this thread that would be great! Also the DA 40 jumped $100 USD so its out of my price range now.
03-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by s.randy Quote
I keep trying to sell myself on the FA 50 but I have searched for hours on Flickr looking at every photo I could from the FA 50 and I don't find many stand out to me. I feel like it should be better than the cheap DA 35mm f2.4 but honestly the few photos I have found from the DA35 f2.4 look better than the FA 50.

I don't...if anyone is reading this and has some great shots from either than post them up on this thread that would be great! Also the DA 40 jumped $100 USD so its out of my price range now.
DA 40 is only 339 at adorma.com
03-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #64

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
DA 40 is only 339 at adorma.com
Check again

03-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check again
DA 40 is 300 used.
03-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #66

Check again
It gives you the real price when you add it to your cart, but it's still 339.
03-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #67

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
It gives you the real price when you add it to your cart, but it's still 339.
Thanks I'll check it out.

03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some input about this staement

QuoteOriginally posted by HEAHA Quote
Do you want to know what the difference is between a 35mm, and a 50mm lens is?
A few steps in one direction or the other! That’s it! Nothing more, nothing less.

Whichever lens you choose, that is the correct one!

I snickered when I read the post from an apparent drive by poster. Then I thought about it for a bit. On Sunday I went out and shot 24 hand held pictures using the 18-55 kit lens. 12 were at 35mm and and 12 were at 50mm. My feet or knees never moved for each pair of pictures. The camera may have moved an inch or two in either direction.

All of them were good. Which was better depends on what one was trying to capture. Except for one a close-up flower bud all the 50's could be cropped from the 35 exposure. The end result would be virtually the same for a non-pro person.

Now this is a serious question; do any of you know the approximate number of steps forward or back that equal 15mm of lens?
03-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #69

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I snickered when I read the post from an apparent drive by poster. Then I thought about it for a bit. On Sunday I went out and shot 24 hand held pictures using the 18-55 kit lens. 12 were at 35mm and and 12 were at 50mm. My feet or knees never moved for each pair of pictures. The camera may have moved an inch or two in either direction.

All of them were good. Which was better depends on what one was trying to capture. Except for one a close-up flower bud all the 50's could be cropped from the 35 exposure. The end result would be virtually the same for a non-pro person.

Now this is a serious question; do any of you know the approximate number of steps forward or back that equal 15mm of lens?
Your point is definitely valid, however, when I originally posted this thread (not your quoted post) it had nothing to do with focal length comparison. I was trying to determine what was the better buy based on IQ, bokeh rendition, AF speed, build quality, ect; of the two lenses to see if was worth the $150ish USD more for the FA 50 because I had been seeing a lot of good reviews on the DA 35mm f2.4.

Since then I have been leaning toward the DA 40mm f2.8 Ltd anyway
03-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your point is definitely valid, however, when I originally posted this thread (not your quoted post) it had nothing to do with focal length comparison. I was trying to determine what was the better buy based on IQ, bokeh rendition, AF speed, build quality, ect; of the two lenses to see if was worth the $150ish USD more for the FA 50 because I had been seeing a lot of good reviews on the DA 35mm f2.4.

Since then I have been leaning toward the DA 40mm f2.8 Ltd anyway
That is a darn nice lens, IMO. I would love to have one. Price wise it is still almost twice the price of the DA 35.

After reading the reviews here and elsewhere between the two in your initial post, I am leaning toward the DA 35.

03-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
After reading the reviews here and elsewhere between the two in your initial post, I am leaning toward the DA 35.
Go for it. The DA 40's gains are primarily non-optical (although it does have some wonderful contrast I have never seen with any other lens).
03-21-2011, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #72

So basically, you don't really have any idea what "YOU" want, but you just want to hear what other people think you should buy?

In the end you will buy the cheaper lens, "35mm DA 2.4" It always comes down to price, if it didn't you would have bought the lens you really want in the first place.

You mentioned best deal / value, if thats really part of your criteria then why are you looking at over hyped / over priced limiteds?

Even the FA 50, which doubled in the last year is no longer a "good deal". And I suspect it and all of Pentaxes lenses will go up again rather soon, even though they are ALL made made in Viet Nam, Not japan.

If you want the best value then just buy the new 18-55 WR which can be had brand new for $95. Which leads one to wonder, why is the 35 / 2.4 $200+, but thats a whole other argument.

But as soon as you buy the 35 you will begin to develop "Bokeh Envy" You will convince yourself , even more so then you already are, that you need a faster lens and that the 35 just isn't as sharp / the "Bokeh" isn't as good etc..

"Bokeh" unfortunaltely is a term so overused on forums it borders on sickening but you and everyone here has the bug, so bare with me.

Eventually you will get the lens you convinced yourself you needed in the first place, and soon discover that for 95%+ of your shots you will always be shooting at an F stop much slower then it's "Fast" setting.

Why? Because just like everyone else that went through the same, "I need the expensive Fast lens" Phase you are going through. you discovered that for anything, other then a perfectly still subject or non "macro" type shot, The shallow depth of field of the "Fast" lens you think you needed, leaves you with out of focused Photo after photo. Something we never realized or even thought about before digital and its almost forced pixel peeping. What I mean is, this is 2011 who prints 4x6 photos anymore? If we measurebated with film like we do with digital these days, and saw how out of focus all those Great 4x6 photos really were, we would all be in padded cells by now.

Of course, just like everyone else, you will take 100s of photos of meaningless items with your new "Fast " lens. Testing the oh so important "Bokeh", Only to discover that something just isn't right. You will convince yourself you need to do more testing and will head to the forums. Which, of course, will indirectly lead you to the conclusion that you have the next stage of "Bokeh Envy" which is "I have a "Bad Copy-Itus"

This obsession will continue for weeks, fueled by 100s of posts on forums like this until you discover the deadly stage three = Front / Back Focus-a-Bation"

So you will make or perhaps buy a test chart to continue your measurbating period, all the while, reading post after post of Front / back Focusing issues and convince yourself your Lens / camera is absolutely Malfunctioning, and continue to spend countless hours trying to fix something that is NOT BROKE!

After you will drive yourself nuts, Hopefully, you will discover that all the Front Focus / Back Focus issues, the my copy is bad issues and the "Bokeh Envy" issues are all figments of your imagination. And that they only appear when people obsess with things that are insignificant!

Go out and shoot and stop taking advice from people who have never used the equipment you are asking about.

If Pentax sold as many lenses as there are people on forums who claim they had them - they would be bigger then Canon!

Next time you read a post that contains or starts with something like " I don't own it, I have never used it or even worse - I read this or I heard that" Think about the source before you make up your mind.

Bottom Line?
Get what you want or you will never be happy. But remember, in doing so you are probably wasting money you don't seem to have. and the results in more cases then not will be no better or worse then the perfectly fine, cheap Kit lenses. As long as people still are convinced that more expensive means better, there will always be somebody overcharging you for something they would have sold for a lot less!

PS The money comment is not a put down or a back handed insult, just an observation. If you did have the money , you would have bought the 31mm or 43mm limited you realy want in the first place!
03-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #73

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Go for it. The DA 40's gains are primarily non-optical (although it does have some wonderful contrast I have never seen with any other lens).
So I'd be paying to say I have a Limited lens and the cool factor of that slim little guy huh?

Man that makes it tough, I'd like to save the close $140 but it would be nice to have something thats pretty unique and a Limited lens. The problem is I still don't quite have the cash yet so I'll stew over this for the next few weeks probably
03-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #74
Veteran Member

The the DA 40 used. You can sell it off at the same price if it isn't your cup of tea.

The best thing about the DA 40 is that it makes photography incredibly easy. Autofocus is fast, and positive. Focal length is flexible. Colours, contrast are great. No bad apertures.

I sold it because I wanted to try something new, not because I had a problem with it. I suspect you would have a similarly positive experience with the 35mm lens though, because while I have not tried it, it is getting phenomenal reviews.
03-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #75

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HEAHA Quote
So basically, you don't really have any idea what "YOU" want, but you just want to hear what other people think you should buy?

In the end you will buy the cheaper lens, "35mm DA 2.4" It always comes down to price, if it didn't you would have bought the lens you really want in the first place.

You mentioned best deal / value, if thats really part of your criteria then why are you looking at over hyped / over priced limiteds?

Even the FA 50, which doubled in the last year is no longer a "good deal". And I suspect it and all of Pentaxes lenses will go up again rather soon, even though they are ALL made made in Viet Nam, Not japan.

If you want the best value then just buy the new 18-55 WR which can be had brand new for $95. Which leads one to wonder, why is the 35 / 2.4 $200+, but thats a whole other argument.

But as soon as you buy the 35 you will begin to develop "Bokeh Envy" You will convince yourself , even more so then you already are, that you need a faster lens and that the 35 just isn't as sharp / the "Bokeh" isn't as good etc..

"Bokeh" unfortunaltely is a term so overused on forums it borders on sickening but you and everyone here has the bug, so bare with me.

Eventually you will get the lens you convinced yourself you needed in the first place, and soon discover that for 95%+ of your shots you will always be shooting at an F stop much slower then it's "Fast" setting.

Why? Because just like everyone else that went through the same, "I need the expensive Fast lens" Phase you are going through. you discovered that for anything, other then a perfectly still subject or non "macro" type shot, The shallow depth of field of the "Fast" lens you think you needed, leaves you with out of focused Photo after photo. Something we never realized or even thought about before digital and its almost forced pixel peeping. What I mean is, this is 2011 who prints 4x6 photos anymore? If we measurebated with film like we do with digital these days, and saw how out of focus all those Great 4x6 photos really were, we would all be in padded cells by now.

Of course, just like everyone else, you will take 100s of photos of meaningless items with your new "Fast " lens. Testing the oh so important "Bokeh", Only to discover that something just isn't right. You will convince yourself you need to do more testing and will head to the forums. Which, of course, will indirectly lead you to the conclusion that you have the next stage of "Bokeh Envy" which is "I have a "Bad Copy-Itus"

This obsession will continue for weeks, fueled by 100s of posts on forums like this until you discover the deadly stage three = Front / Back Focus-a-Bation"

So you will make or perhaps buy a test chart to continue your measurbating period, all the while, reading post after post of Front / back Focusing issues and convince yourself your Lens / camera is absolutely Malfunctioning, and continue to spend countless hours trying to fix something that is NOT BROKE!

After you will drive yourself nuts, Hopefully, you will discover that all the Front Focus / Back Focus issues, the my copy is bad issues and the "Bokeh Envy" issues are all figments of your imagination. And that they only appear when people obsess with things that are insignificant!

Go out and shoot and stop taking advice from people who have never used the equipment you are asking about.

If Pentax sold as many lenses as there are people on forums who claim they had them - they would be bigger then Canon!

Next time you read a post that contains or starts with something like " I don't own it, I have never used it or even worse - I read this or I heard that" Think about the source before you make up your mind.

Bottom Line?
Get what you want or you will never be happy. But remember, in doing so you are probably wasting money you don't seem to have. and the results in more cases then not will be no better or worse then the perfectly fine, cheap Kit lenses. As long as people still are convinced that more expensive means better, there will always be somebody overcharging you for something they would have sold for a lot less!

PS The money comment is not a put down or a back handed insult, just an observation. If you did have the money , you would have bought the 31mm or 43mm limited you realy want in the first place!
Well first off I haven't mentioned anything that I can't afford, the DA 35 f2.4, DA 40mm f2.8 and the FA 50 f1.4 are all with in the range I am looking for. When mentioning best value I want to make sure i don't spend double when maybe the cheaper one is just as good and the others are over priced and that is something you can only get from people that have used them and I dont have any friends shooting pentax so I turned here. So most of what you said is probably true, at least the first half, I got bored and never finished the rest honestly. Thanks for your feedback and insight.