Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #91

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by s.randy Quote
I forgot to check back on this and missed a bunch of post including another mind numbing rant Anyway I ended up buying a DA 40 if anyone cares
Interesting choice. I also benefited from reading this post and have been analyzing my shooting needs. I was originally planning on making the 15mm ltd my next purchase but I think I would benefit more from the flexibility of a wide angle zoom. If Pentax releases the 12-35mm WR I will pick that up, if not, then I'll get the 12-24mm next.

04-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #92

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
We both did. I must confess that I don't like or use the screw cap, takes way too long.
The screw cap is weird but it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it was going to. I did drop the cap on some stone tile the first day and it nicked the edge which bummed me but I guess it's just a cap
04-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #93

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
Interesting choice. I also benefited from reading this post and have been analyzing my shooting needs. I was originally planning on making the 15mm ltd my next purchase but I think I would benefit more from the flexibility of a wide angle zoom. If Pentax releases the 12-35mm WR I will pick that up, if not, then I'll get the 12-24mm next.
I knew that anything between 35-50 would fit my shooting needs and I just couldn't convince myself that I was pleased with everything I seen from the FA50 even though everyone raves about it. I'm sure the DA 35mm f2.4 would have been plenty good optics wise but I decided to just pay the extra for the built quality and honestly just want to try out the tininess of the DA 40mm. It hasn't left my camera yet, I see myself shooting with it 9/10 times until I need a wider shot then I'll break out the kit lens.
04-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #94

Photos: Albums
I knew that anything between 35-50 would fit my shooting needs and I just couldn't convince myself that I was pleased with everything I seen from the FA50 even though everyone raves about it. I'm sure the DA 35mm f2.4 would have been plenty good optics wise but I decided to just pay the extra for the built quality and honestly just want to try out the tininess of the DA 40mm. It hasn't left my camera yet, I see myself shooting with it 9/10 times until I need a wider shot then I'll break out the kit lens.
It's a great lens isn't it! I pretty much lives on my camera. All my other lenses just don't do it anymore.

04-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #95

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
It's a great lens isn't it! I pretty much lives on my camera. All my other lenses just don't do it anymore.
I'm starting to feel the same way already
04-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it full frame?
04-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #97

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Is it full frame?
If you're asking if it supports full frame, yes. Am I shooting a full frame body, no.
04-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #98
Inactive Account

s.randy,

I too have a K-x and received the wifes blessing to buy a new lens. Have you been able to use the new 40mm indoors in low light? How is it working without a flash? thanks

Matt

06-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #99

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by msutbone Quote
s.randy,

I too have a K-x and received the wifes blessing to buy a new lens. Have you been able to use the new 40mm indoors in low light? How is it working without a flash? thanks

Matt
Sorry Matt I hope this isn't too late for reply. Yes it works well indoors, I primarily use it outdoors or stobing inside. Here are some links to photos I have taken with it in the last couple months since purchasing. Hope it can help you or anyone else looking for this lens. All photos taken with K-x and DA40 Ltd.

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Chris | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Downtown Seattle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rained Out | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Tulipimpin' | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DA 40mm f2.8 DOF Test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Self Portrait | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
06-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry Matt I hope this isn't too late for reply. Yes it works well indoors, I primarily use it outdoors or stobing inside. Here are some links to photos I have taken with it in the last couple months since purchasing. Hope it can help you or anyone else looking for this lens. All photos taken with K-x and DA40 Ltd.
Congrats on the lens s.randy. The DA 40 is incredibly flexible (in all ways, really). My favourite part of that lens was the colour. It really captured colour in a way that none of the other limiteds (FA or DA) could. Enjoy!
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #101

Photos: Gallery
I own all three

I'm getting involved in this thread a little late, but considering that I own the FA50 1.4, the M50 1.7, and the DA40, I though I would chime in. I wouldn't sell any of them, because they have noticeably different optical qualities and excel in different situations:
FA 50 1.4: Fantastic for newborns in low light. Creamy, stylized bokeh. At smaller apertures, has a distinct FA look which is hard to explain - there are graceful lines between objects, especially hair lines, for example.
M501.7: Consistent sharp image at all F Stops. Rendering is less forgiving than FA50, but precise.
DA40: Incredible outdoor lens with underrated bokeh. The greens pop and there is a modern contrasty look typical of DA lenses that I really love.

Sorry if I have made the choice more difficult.

Last edited by harmonica2; 06-03-2011 at 11:55 AM.
06-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #102

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by harmonica2 Quote
I'm getting involved in this thread a little late, but considering that I own the FA50 1.4, the M50 1.7, and the DA40, I though I would chime in. I wouldn't sell any of them, because they have noticeably different optical qualities and excel in different situations:
FA 50 1.4: Fantastic for newborns in low light. Creamy, stylized bookah. At smaller apertures, has a distinct FA look which is hard to explain - there are graceful lines between objects, especially hair lines, for example.
M501.7: Consistent sharp image at all F Stops. Rendering is less forgiving than FA50, but precise.
DA40: Incredible outdoor lens with underrated bookah. The greens pop and there is a modern contrasty look typical of DA lenses that I really love.

Sorry if I have made the choice more difficult.
Well I started this thread and I already purchased the DA40 so it doesn't make anything more difficult on me but your information provided was great for someone else reading this that maybe in the same boat I was in several months ago.

Thanks for sharing.

Flickr: randy.schrotberger's Photostream