Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the Tamron and it's a great lens. I wanted a DA* 28-70 Pentax version (the older lens) that is considered the best of the best, in a zoom at this range. Discussed this with another Pentax owner who had owned both and tested the 2 against each other. His comments were that the Pentax rendered a nicer bokeh but other than that the 2 lenses were equally sharp and produced similar colour.

My experience with this lens would suggest that you couldn't get much better without getting a prime lens. It is fast in focusing, Sharp and takes a great picture at all focal lengths.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again or recommend it to anyone.

Of course a prime is sharper and the FA50mm f1.4 is faster but you can't get any zoom to reach those levels. As for Macro, the manufacturers shouldn't really call this or any similar lens a Macro. It's really a close focus lens that can focus at about 40cm (13-14 in.) and gets to 1:3.9. A real macro gets to below 1:2. But when you only want to carry one lens that can do almost all you need, then this is a great choice. The only other lens that I'd consider is the Sigma 17-70 but it's slower at the long end and for me that's not worth the trade off for the wider FL of the Sigma. So for that, if I were you I'd keep the kit lens when wide is important. I bought a 12-24 when I need to go wide. Others have gotten the 10-20 Sigma

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-22-2007 at 04:43 PM.
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I used to think that lenses are things we stick on the front of our cameras. Then one day I came to understand that cameras are things we stick on the back of our lenses.
Very seldom on the internet have I read words with such wisdom and depth of understanding. This is good...very good!
10-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I own the Tamron and it's a great lens. I wanted a DA* 28-70 Pentax version (the older lens) that is considered the best of the best. in a zoom at this range. Discussed this with another Pentax owner who had owned both and tested the 2 against each other. His comments were that the Pentax rendered a nicer bokeh but other than that the 2 lenses were equally sharp and produced similar colour.

My experience with this lens would suggest that you couldn't get much better without getting a prime lens. It is fast in focusing, Sharp and takes agreat picture at all focal lengths.

Of course a prime is sharper and the FA50mm f1.4 is faster but you can't get any zoom to reach those levels. As for Macro, the manufacturers shouldn't realy call this or any similar lens a Macro. It's really a close focus lens that can focus at about 40cm (13-14 in.) and gets to 1:3.9. A real macro gets to below 1:2. But when you only want to carry one lens that can do almost all you need, then this is a great choice. The only other lens that I'd onsider is the Sigma 17-70 but it's slower at the long end and for me that's not worth the trade off for the wider FL of the Sigma. So for that, if I were you I'd keep the kit lens when wide is important. I bought a 12-24 when I need to go wide. Others have gotten the 10-20 Sigma
Thanks for your input Peter
10-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #19

Original Poster
Well, I went ahead and ordered the 50mm lens. It was a hair under $200 and will allow me to get a new camera bag for hiking. I still want the Tamron 28-75mm, but that will have to wait. Thanks for everyone's input. I hope to be posting new pics sometime.

10-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used to think that lenses are things we stick on the front of our cameras. Then one day I came to understand that cameras are things we stick on the back of our lenses.
This is so true !!!
10-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I own the Tamron and it's a great lens. I wanted a DA* 28-70 Pentax version (the older lens) that is considered the best of the best, in a zoom at this range. Discussed this with another Pentax owner who had owned both and tested the 2 against each other. His comments were that the Pentax rendered a nicer bokeh but other than that the 2 lenses were equally sharp and produced similar colour.

My experience with this lens would suggest that you couldn't get much better without getting a prime lens. It is fast in focusing, Sharp and takes a great picture at all focal lengths.

Of course a prime is sharper and the FA50mm f1.4 is faster but you can't get any zoom to reach those levels. As for Macro, the manufacturers shouldn't really call this or any similar lens a Macro. It's really a close focus lens that can focus at about 40cm (13-14 in.) and gets to 1:3.9. A real macro gets to below 1:2. But when you only want to carry one lens that can do almost all you need, then this is a great choice. The only other lens that I'd consider is the Sigma 17-70 but it's slower at the long end and for me that's not worth the trade off for the wider FL of the Sigma. So for that, if I were you I'd keep the kit lens when wide is important. I bought a 12-24 when I need to go wide. Others have gotten the 10-20 Sigma
Thanks Peter..
tomorrow I will pick up the 28-70 Tamron lens...I was trying to decide between that and a 18-200, but reading your posts, you convinced me.
Thanks
javier
10-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sooo quotable Mr. Cash! Sounds like a new sig line to me...