Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the reason to get a DA *16-50 is for flexibility and wide aperture in a weather sealed package. It is not a portrait lens, but it still has the capability to shoot with fairly narrow depth of field in the right situation. I feel like my copy is pretty good, but it can pretty soft on the edges in certain situations. Still, I end up using it more than any of my other lenses. It is a good normal zoom and beats the kit lens for rendering, contrast and colors in my opinion.

Since I am posting photos of my kids lately, here is one of my daughter at 50mm with said lens.

03-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I would never argue against the value of high quality lenses. I insist upon them in my own use. But I still contend that artistic vision combined with a reasonably high level of digital editing skills is even more valuable.
I didn't get back to this thread for a while, but I thought I'd clarify.

I probably agree with your statement here, as I do with the rest of your post. I'm getting better at PP. But any type of PP is still no substitute for good glass, which is really what I was trying to say, since the OP was trying to determine whether the quality of this lens justifies its purchase. I normally always shoot RAW+JPG, so this choice was new to me. But in this situation I was able to identify ahead of time that RAW was not appropriate for this event - I would have filled up every memory card I have and probably run out of space before the end of the event - not to mention the shots lost due to changing memory cards. And since few people would ever get to see or appreciate these shots, I wasn't going to spend much time on PP. In fact, I was surprised to find that I could get acceptable results (for this shoot) in PP on a few JPGs that were worth rescuing. This particular shoot was more journalistic than artistic, as you suggested some shooting is.

Also, since I commonly shoot at only 1/3 or 2/3 stop from wide open, the quality of the lens in critical for me to get results I like. This is also a key reason why I can't get the same results in PP (for example, background blur in software looks different for me).

In retrospect, it also looks like I jumped on your comment and took it a little out of context.