Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Here are some kid snaps with the 15:

Jay, I saw it once before, and I'm glad you reposted it here, but seriously, the B&W of your son sitting in the field of grass with the bike and tree in the background is probably one of my favorite photos of yours, and that's saying a lot. The composition and tones are amazing. You've played the strengths of a UWA to grab the wide DOF AND YET you also managed to add some pleasant bokeh to the foregroundmost grass that pushes this image from great all the way up to dreamy and like an illustrated page in a book of fairy tales.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with noel on the "The Jsherman shots control my mind now" thing.

03-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noel Quote
Jay, how can you make shots like this look so good?? I'm beginning to think "The Jsherman shots control my mind now"

Beauty of K-5 is in the small size and the nice quiet shutter.
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Jay, I saw it once before, and I'm glad you reposted it here, but seriously, the B&W of your son sitting in the field of grass with the bike and tree in the background is probably one of my favorite photos of yours, and that's saying a lot. The composition and tones are amazing. You've played the strengths of a UWA to grab the wide DOF AND YET you also managed to add some pleasant bokeh to the foregroundmost grass that pushes this image from great all the way up to dreamy and like an illustrated page in a book of fairy tales.
Thanks guys, very nice of you to say. I also love that shot, mostly because I think the subject, setting and circumstances perfectly capture the reality of that day - a bike ride on a very warm summer afternoon, out to walk in the fields by the woods, to look for grasshoppers. It was idyllic and innocent, and very fun.

Here's the shot taken right before, and right after:

Also - the camera was brought as an afterthought, in a small bag. I almost didn't capture that moment - and if I only owned the larger D700, might not have.

(this is another reason I keep getting drawn to the X100 - I might take that baby literally everywhere! )

03-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just got my new used K5 with the DA primes 21, 40, 70 and the Sigma 50 1.4. I'm still looking out for the 31, 43 and 77. Hoping these will show up on the for sale forum at a reasonable price.

My initial observations are:

1) With the exception of the Sigma, the lenses are smaller than I expected.
2) The focus is reasonably fast, but it not as accurate as the D700 or D7000.
3) Wide open, all the the lenses has severe deterioration of quality. Much more than I expected. It seems to get better with SR turned off, but still bad. The IQ gets much better 1/3 stop down. I haven't done 1:1 comparison with pictures from the Nikon yet. I've only had time to take pictures at home and at night. Hopefully, I can hit the park with the kids this weekend and see how the lens hold up.
4) I am struggling getting the flash to work with Auto ISO the way Nikon has their flash working. I also can not find a SB400 equivalent yet. This takes some of the size advantage away since I use flash quite often.
5) The buffer clearing speed is painful 3-4 secs per picture. This could be my class 6 SDHC card, though, I didn't experience this on the D7000 with the same card.
03-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I've had every lens you've mentioned at one point or another but I've sold most of my Pentax stuff to build a Sony FF system. I still have the DA*55, FA 77 and 100 WR, which are unlike anything available on any other system and still my favourite 3 lenses.
farfisa, why did you decide to go to Sony? Before deciding to try the Pentax with the limited lenses out. I was thinking of a Sony FF / A55 combo. The A55 with the Sony lenses isn't small, but it adds video with good AF that I can get rid of my video camera.

03-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
(this is another reason I keep getting drawn to the X100 - I might take that baby literally everywhere! ).
Ah the X100
My wife saw one and is in love.
I fear its only a matter of time before she decides to jump ship.

I think the X100 will appeal to many of the film shooters in the day. I just hope I can hold-off and resist also. But the entire idea of walking around with a retro looking camera like that really has appeal to it.
03-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charleychen Quote
I just got my new used K5 with the DA primes 21, 40, 70 and the Sigma 50 1.4. I'm still looking out for the 31, 43 and 77. Hoping these will show up on the for sale forum at a reasonable price.

My initial observations are:

1) With the exception of the Sigma, the lenses are smaller than I expected.
2) The focus is reasonably fast, but it not as accurate as the D700 or D7000.
3) Wide open, all the the lenses has severe deterioration of quality. Much more than I expected. It seems to get better with SR turned off, but still bad. The IQ gets much better 1/3 stop down. I haven't done 1:1 comparison with pictures from the Nikon yet. I've only had time to take pictures at home and at night. Hopefully, I can hit the park with the kids this weekend and see how the lens hold up.
4) I am struggling getting the flash to work with Auto ISO the way Nikon has their flash working. I also can not find a SB400 equivalent yet. This takes some of the size advantage away since I use flash quite often.
5) The buffer clearing speed is painful 3-4 secs per picture. This could be my class 6 SDHC card, though, I didn't experience this on the D7000 with the same card.
I take it that you have down loaded the most recent firmware for the K5 and also done focus testing on the lenses? I own the DA 40 and the DA 70 and both seem quite sharp wide open. Some vignetting, but no sharpness issues, as long as the focus is right, but some lenses need adjustment.

Not sure about flash issues. I use a Metz 58 mostly when I need flash, but I have heard that flashes don't work so well on all K5s.

I considered the Sigma 50, but ended up getting DA *55. Surprised that its sharpness is not good. It is considered quite sharp by those who own it.
03-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I seriously doubt it's your card. I use SDHC 4 on my older K-7 and have never had to wait several seconds for the buffer to clear after taking a single photo. The only time my buffer jams up is when I'm using shooting in burst mode, and even then you can still take individual shots before the buffer fully clears again.

Do you have automatic Lens Correction settings turned on? I've never used them but it's possible something along those lines is creating additional processing work for your camera.
03-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Ah the X100
My wife saw one and is in love.
I fear its only a matter of time before she decides to jump ship.

I think the X100 will appeal to many of the film shooters in the day. I just hope I can hold-off and resist also. But the entire idea of walking around with a retro looking camera like that really has appeal to it.
I don't think there is a need to jump ship. it's a niche system and surely people would use it for a particular purpose. although it seems to answer the needs of someone looking for a walk-around camera. the 23mm is a perfect fit for wide shots, people, a bit of portrait and casual candid. the selling point of the x100 is it's classic portable style that you could carry and pocket anywhere, viewfinder, shutter, and a bit of video. the DR is still a bit of a suspect but we could only hope it's as good as the S5pro or better. if it does, then it would help a lot with the shooting cause.

the same thing goes with the SD1 I think would also be a niche product.

03-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

farfisa, why did you decide to go to Sony? Before deciding to try the Pentax with the limited lenses out. I was thinking of a Sony FF / A55 combo. The A55 with the Sony lenses isn't small, but it adds video with good AF that I can get rid of my video camera.
I actually decided to go Sony because a friend of mine gave me a really good deal a Sony a850 and a ZA 24-70/2.8 and 135/1.8 when he went to Nikon It was definitely a great start to a new system!

The a850 was actually really easy to get used to coming from Pentax, with similar ergonomics, the same kind of in-body SR. And the IQ is amazing. AF is really responsive too, and the 24-70 has the kind of fast quiet motor that SDM should have been.

Sony also takes the Minolta AF lenses, so there are a few cheap gems out there to quickly build up a system. Also a few expensive ones...

I also thought of the a55 to go with it, but while the 24-70 would be an amazing lens for video, it's a pretty big lens, so might feel unbalanced on an a55. I briefly tried out an a55 and it seemed to lose a lot of detail as you got up to ISO 1600, whereas the K-x holds the detail much better. Wish I'd had my 24-70 at the time to test out the video with the fast, silent motor.

I also think my Pentax kit is great for a crop sensor, so I wouldn't want to lose those lenses and then have to get some inferior glass for crop sensor on another system and lose a bunch of money in the process.

Eventually I hope to get a K-5 for its portability and great high ISO, but still want to keep the a850 for landscape and portraits.
03-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #25
Forum Member

@jsherman

PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAASEEEEE, tell me what you do to get your pictures so insanely sharp... Please...

Do what I may, I fail miserably every time.
03-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
The a850 was actually really easy to get used to coming from Pentax, with similar ergonomics, the same kind of in-body SR. And the IQ is amazing. AF is really responsive too, and the 24-70 has the kind of fast quiet motor that SDM should have been.
How is the 24-70 and the 135 18 compare to your pentax lenses?
03-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I actually decided to go Sony because a friend of mine gave me a really good deal a Sony a850 and a ZA 24-70/2.8 and 135/1.8 when he went to Nikon It was definitely a great start to a new system!

Sony also takes the Minolta AF lenses, so there are a few cheap gems out there to quickly build up a system. Also a few expensive ones...

I also thought of the a55 to go with it, but while the 24-70 would be an amazing lens for video, it's a pretty big lens, so might feel unbalanced on an a55. I briefly tried out an a55 and it seemed to lose a lot of detail as you got up to ISO 1600, whereas the K-x holds the detail much better. Wish I'd had my 24-70 at the time to test out the video with the fast, silent motor.

I also think my Pentax kit is great for a crop sensor, so I wouldn't want to lose those lenses and then have to get some inferior glass for crop sensor on another system and lose a bunch of money in the process.

Eventually I hope to get a K-5 for its portability and great high ISO, but still want to keep the a850 for landscape and portraits.
how much did you pay for the Sony package?
03-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

How is the 24-70 and the 135 18 compare to your pentax lenses?
The ZA 24-70 is almost like having a set of DA limiteds in one really large package. In some circumstances, its rendering also reminds me of the DA*55.

Great IQ, colour and contrast. There's great detail across the frame right from wide open, except for the extreme corners.

The focus is blazing fast and very silent. I have the DA*16-50 on Pentax and while I really like that lens, it doesn't do so well with high contrast lighting, and the focus isn't as consistent.

One knock on it might be that the bokeh doesn't have much character, but it's very smooth in most situations.

The 135/1.8 is insanely sharp, even wide open. Bokeh is so smooth and the subject isolation is incredible. Focus is very fast and accurate, and it focuses very close too for a lens of this focal length and speed. But again, it's huge. It weighs as much as the Pentax DA*60-250! I don't know what to compare this lens to in the Pentax lineup.

I'm still drawn to the look of the FA77 images though. Technically it's not as good as the Zeiss, but stopping down you get a more interesting image, I find.

My latest find is the Minolta AF 100/2. Much smaller than the Zeiss, with a similar look, and maybe more Pentax-like colour. My favourite lens at the moment.

They also have nothing like the DA*55 on the system, or any other system (unless you're doing crop factor math, which I'm not). That would be a fantastic fast fifty on full frame.

I don't think I'm the only one who's gone full frame and just wishes he could get his Pentax lenses to fit on the new camera!