Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tak 135mm F3.5 M42 Won't focus at end

I put on a M42 adapter which I didn't know about removing the screw before hand and the thing is stuck on there for life.

It does not lock into place when I attach the lens to the body. (That could be the whole problem there?)

I'm going to dremel it off when my new one arrives.

Here's my main question.

I'm trying to set "Apply One" in the "Auto Focus Adjustment" menu in the Custom setting on my K20D.

The problem is that there is no 'Apply One" there. Just 'Apply All"

Is it because it's a manual lens?

Because the M42 adapter is not all the way on?

It's off focus just a hair if that. Besides that, everything else is find & takes great shots.

Until I get this old one off I'm wondering if anyone has any input?

03-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What type of adapter is this? Is it an adapter that fits entirely inside the mount or is it one of the adapters that has a wide flange around it? How did you mount the adapter that it got stuck to the lens? You are supposed to mount the adapter in the camera then mount the lens to the camera. Also, AF adjustment won't have any effect on a MF lens.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-11-2011 at 02:52 PM.
03-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great video

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What type of adapter is this? Is it an adapter that fits entirely inside the mount or is it one of the adapters that has a wide flange around it? How did you mount the adapter that it got stuck to the lens? You are supposed to mount the adapter in the camera then mount the lens to the camera. Also, AF adjustment won't have any effect on a MF lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHDO1wmOptc
I got it from B&H and it's a Bower. I wrote about here on the forum : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/135940-...42-lenses.html

I had the adapter in there but on the Bower there is this screw that is suppose to be removed before you use it or it will make you lenses get stuck. And mine got stuck big time. I had watched your video before hand, so I didn't think anything about the screw on the Bower M42 adapter.

I didn't have any of my newer lenses with me and when I got home I found out like you said that AF Adjustment will not have any affect..

Now it's just wait for the Pentax M42 adapter and I think I'll be good to go..

Thanks
03-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I got it from B&H and it's a Bower. I wrote about here on the forum : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/135940-...42-lenses.html

I had the adapter in there but on the Bower there is this screw that is suppose to be removed before you use it or it will make you lenses get stuck. And mine got stuck big time. I had watched your video before hand, so I didn't think anything about the screw on the Bower M42 adapter.

I didn't have any of my newer lenses with me and when I got home I found out like you said that AF Adjustment will not have any affect..

Now it's just wait for the Pentax M42 adapter and I think I'll be good to go..

Thanks
The issue with the spring on the Bower adapter isn't that the lens will get stuck on the adapter, it's that the adapter can get stuck in the camera. Your problem sounds like it might be a poorly machined adapter. If the spring is in place it should lock into the mount and there shouldn't be any reason the lens doesn't unscrew from the adapter unless the threads are damaged.

03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The issue with the spring on the Bower adapter isn't that the lens will get stuck on the adapter, it's that the adapter can get stuck in the camera. Your problem sounds like it might be a poorly machined adapter. If the spring is in place it should lock into the mount and there shouldn't be any reason the lens doesn't unscrew from the adapter unless the threads are damaged.
It was stuck on the camera and it took some time to get it off. However, the adapter then was stuck on the lens.

Makes it hard to decide which direction to take on it.

If I carefully cut it off I'll be able to check the threads. I think I've read where someone had some luck getting the threads back in workable order.

From the other thread, I was informed to take that screw and spring off no matter what. I also order 2 more M42 Adapters from Fotodiox. It looks like their adapters are a little bit better. I'll see when it gets here.

However, for the most part, I'll just be using the Pentax M42 & be checking threading very carefully from here on out..
03-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The lens should be flush against the body right?

Until I get the Pentax M42 or other M42 adapters I noticed that the lenses is not flush with the camera body. Is there suppose to be a small gap?
03-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like the adapter is cross threaded on the lens. Hate to use the dremel on it but that might be the best idea at this point. Depends on which is harder, the lens thread or the metal of the adapter. If the lens thread is harder you should be able to turn it off with enough torque without damaging the lens thread. I would guess the lens is harder but I'm not sure enough to take the chance.

Generally the official Pentax adapter is considered to be superior and safer, they are expensive but you only have to buy one. Unless you want to put adapters on all of your M42 lenses and treat them like k-mount. I did that on my S-M-C 400mm because it is just too heavy to thread on every time but I prefer attaching the adapter to the camera for all my other M42's.

03-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll keep you posted

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sounds like the adapter is cross threaded on the lens. Hate to use the dremel on it but that might be the best idea at this point. Depends on which is harder, the lens thread or the metal of the adapter. If the lens thread is harder you should be able to turn it off with enough torque without damaging the lens thread. I would guess the lens is harder but I'm not sure enough to take the chance.

Generally the official Pentax adapter is considered to be superior and safer, they are expensive but you only have to buy one. Unless you want to put adapters on all of your M42 lenses and treat them like k-mount. I did that on my S-M-C 400mm because it is just too heavy to thread on every time but I prefer attaching the adapter to the camera for all my other M42's.
I've tried just about every idea known to mankind to get it off. Since it won't focus at the far end, I have no choice but to cut it off.

My big mistake was to not test it by trying to screw it on the lenses 1st. Now, I won't know until it's off.

I wanted to thank you for the input, the video and the support..

These lens when something goes wrong is like having a sick child.. Weeeeee to LBA
03-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got it off

I had to use a Dremel & cut the stupid thing off. I was lucky I didn't cut the threads on the lens. The B&H M42 Adapter is a Bower. It's solid, but would have been nice to know about that screw and flange. I ordered Two M42 adapters from Fotodiox. They were $11 each and they are outstanding. They're hard plastic, but they go in with no problem at all and work great. Now, I'm going to email B&H and send this thing back to them.

I should point out that all the effort I had to put on the lenses to get it out has messed up the one lenses focus at the far end. I'll have to figure out how to fix that. Any ideas are welcome.