Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #1

Any information on Sears Lens

I was wondering if anyone has used or knows anything about a particular lens.
It is from Sears. The serial # is 870723072. Think the model # is "Sears model # 202" 7367500 28-200mm f/4-5.6 Also states on box "KR -- Automatic Lens Operation for "PK" mount plus Program Mode for Pentax "KA" and Ricoh "RK" mounts."

This is being offered to me along with a K1000, Case, and a couple of flashes for $50

I'm really only interested in this one lens, unless the 55mm on the k1000 ends up being something more than the kit Pentax 2.0, but am wondering if it's worth throwing $50 at it.

I'm looking at this to extend my K-x kit

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

03-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdamSelene Quote
It is from Sears. The serial # is 870723072. Think the model # is "Sears model # 202" 7367500 28-200mm f/4-5.6 Also states on box "KR -- Automatic Lens Operation for "PK" mount plus Program Mode for Pentax "KA" and Ricoh "RK" mounts."

This is being offered to me along with a K1000, Case, and a couple of flashes for $50

I'm really only interested in this one lens, unless the 55mm on the k1000 ends up being something more than the kit Pentax 2.0, but am wondering if it's worth throwing $50 at it.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
you need to read about so-called "ricoh pin"... the lens hardly is worth antything... that is a manual focus/automatic aperture consumer grade turisto zoom of the film era from a 3rd tier manufacturer...
03-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AdamSelene Quote

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
I have several Sears MF lenses (50mm, 28mm variants) but all m42 mount and they are pretty good quality. If you have a KR mount, be careful about the Ricoh PIN which occupies the same position as the screw-drive on the camera mount. The lens may get stuck there permanently if you are not careful.
03-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a manual-focus, auto-aperture lens similar to Pentax A lenses. Probably not the sharpest tool in the shed, though- you might be better-off getting a used AF lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I very much like Sears primes, haven't encountered any bad ones yet. Zooms are another matter. If yours is made in Korea, it's likely by Samyang, competent for its time but nothing brilliant. If made in Japan... well, I have a Sears Auto 55-135 by Tomioka that's quite decent. I can't claim familiarity with other Sears-branded zooms.

BTW, all the KR-mount Sears lenses I've seen have a Ricoh 'button' not 'pin', a non-hazardous item. One needn't necessarily freak out over it.

BUT... There's a problem with zooms of that vintage: Almost none are really good, compared to newer ones. There are Pentaxable exceptions: Vivitar Series 1, Tokina ATX, Soligor C/D. But zoom technology has advanced astronomically since Sears stopped selling store-brand camera gear. Many old manual primes are as good as newer AF primes. New AF zooms are almost always much better than old manual zooms. Even too many older Pentax zooms suck.

I have bought and sold a number of Sears zooms -- buy cheap, sell the extras because I'm a lens trader. Average price on both ends: around US$8. That's eight bucks. This 28-200 might fetch US$15 on eBay. Let's see, what did I pay for my K1000 a few months ago? [/me checks database] Ah, it was US$13.50, shipped. Flashes and case (vinyl?) of that vintage might be worth a couple bucks, or they might be straight-to-Goodwill donations. But US$50 for the lot? Ha. Someone's been smoking too much Jimson weed. (*)

(*) JIMSON WEED (from Jamestown) -- various North American species of the genus Datura, esp. D.stramonium: a solanaceous herb rich in hyoscamine, scopolamine, atropine, and similar alkaloids. Ingestion induces bizarre, vivid hallucinations, seemingly indistinguishable from reality except for their impossibility.

Last edited by RioRico; 03-11-2011 at 05:29 PM.
03-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

From what I recall some of the sears prime lenses were rich made and quality is quite good. However not all of hem were mde by ricoh so you must be careful in purchasing. I would pass on it unless you want to be a test person and review it for other people.
03-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the information everyone. I had a vague feeling that it was something to pass on, I just had seen several surprises in the Lens Database where a usually poor brand/type had a occasional stand out and just wanted to see if anyone knew of this lens. I am going to take everyone's advice and pass on this offer.

Thanks again.