Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Lens Combo Switch: FA 77mm + DA 35mm macro for DA 70mm + FA 43mm

I haven't posted on here for a while. I've been too busy shooting and trying to run a business. For the past year, I've been shooting almost exclusively with the 77mm and the 35mm. The 77mm has truly brought my photography to a new level but I'm finding out that I need the magic it possess in a shorter focal length. Lately I notice a bit of a discrepancy in my work. Shots that I take with the 35mm are not comparable in term of quality with the 77mm. Now the 35mm is no slouch but I think I can solve that issue by trading for a DA 70mm and the FA 43mm. As hard as it is for me to even think about letting the 77mm go, I think the 70mm focal length is better suited for my work. I have read numerous thread on here that makes me believe that 70mm is as potent as the 77mm. The biggest difference is in the extra stop. I think the 43mm will compensate for that. Any words from you guys on whether this is a good choice. Am I overlooking something?

Here are two of my best shots with those two lenses. DA35 left, FA 77 right.

03-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Forum Member

do you shoot the 77 @ 1.8? if not, go for it.
03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's the magic that you like on 77 then keep it!
But I'd say go for 43 anyway! It's a terrific lens...
03-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by azimuthal Quote
do you shoot the 77 @ 1.8? if not, go for it.
Most of my shots are at 2.4 or above.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
If it's the magic that you like on 77 then keep it!
But I'd say go for 43 anyway! It's a terrific lens...
You are not helping here mate . The lens is amazing but during outdoor session with clients, I feel like I have to move too far away from them for a full body composition. For studio session in my cramped living room, I hit the wall quite a few time backing up. A slightly shorter focal length would help. For my budget, I only need one magical lens to shoot unicorn. That's why I commit the crime of selling my 31mm months ago.

03-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

that is a dilema... i think the deciding factor would be the 77mm.

i would stick with what you have, save for awhile and replace the DA 35mm for a FA 31mm
03-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by afroed Quote
Most of my shots are at 2.4 or above.

You are not helping here mate . The lens is amazing but during outdoor session with clients, I feel like I have to move too far away from them for a full body composition. For studio session in my cramped living room, I hit the wall quite a few time backing up. A slightly shorter focal length would help. For my budget, I only need one magical lens to shoot unicorn. That's why I commit the crime of selling my 31mm months ago.
Unless you do a lot of closeup work with the 35Ltd, this seems like a reasonable trade to me. I have seen no shortage of quality portraits with the 43, and for that matter with the 70. I think it's up to you though -- how willing are you transfer the magic at 77 to a much wider FL?
03-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
try renting the 70mm and the 43mm and see what you think of them.

CameraLensRentals.com - Pentax Standard Lens Rentals

btw...I'm not affiliated with them nor have I ever tried renting a lens before. So I don't know how good of an idea it is, but in theory I think it's the best route to go. From the little bit of attention I've paid to the 77 vs 70 I've always thought the the 77 was the better lens.

Also, personally I'd prefer to have a lens with a wider max aperture then I'd ever plan to use simply because you never know when you decide you need that extra bit of light gathering ability or a more narrow depth of field. Never really thought much about shooting a portrait wide open until I grabbed some ND filters and threw one on the end of my 55 f/1.8 and shot wide open in the middle of a field in the afternoon.
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
that is a dilema... i think the deciding factor would be the 77mm.

i would stick with what you have, save for awhile and replace the DA 35mm for a FA 31mm
I had the 31mm before but sold it due to financial reason and kept the DA35mm. Finance is still an issue since I have to pay school loans. I think trading the 35mm for the 43mm might be the wisest thing to do since their prices are so close.

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Unless you do a lot of closeup work with the 35Ltd, this seems like a reasonable trade to me. I have seen no shortage of quality portraits with the 43, and for that matter with the 70. I think it's up to you though -- how willing are you transfer the magic at 77 to a much wider FL?
I don't do much closeup work. I only use the macro function to impress the lady with pictures of pretty flowers but that's not bringing me any money. I'm very much willing to transfer the magic to a wider FL. In fact, I think it's needed in order to fix that discrepancy with my work. But it's so hard to let go of the 77

QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote
try renting the 70mm and the 43mm and see what you think of them.

CameraLensRentals.com - Pentax Standard Lens Rentals

btw...I'm not affiliated with them nor have I ever tried renting a lens before. So I don't know how good of an idea it is, but in theory I think it's the best route to go. From the little bit of attention I've paid to the 77 vs 70 I've always thought the the 77 was the better lens.

Also, personally I'd prefer to have a lens with a wider max aperture then I'd ever plan to use simply because you never know when you decide you need that extra bit of light gathering ability or a more narrow depth of field. Never really thought much about shooting a portrait wide open until I grabbed some ND filters and threw one on the end of my 55 f/1.8 and shot wide open in the middle of a field in the afternoon.
I forgot if I had the option of renting. Depend on how much money I make this month, I'll probably do that.

03-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It sounds to me that you are going to regret it if you get rid of the 77.

Just swap the 35 for a 43 and you will be fine.
03-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
It sounds to me that you are going to regret it if you get rid of the 77.

Just swap the 35 for a 43 and you will be fine.
afroed, based on what you're saying, I'm going to agree with TOUGEFC here. If you look on B&H, the 35Ltd and 43Ltd are only~30 bucks different in price, new, and you should be able to get back most of the original cost of your 35 selling it off. It does sound to me that the 43/77 combo would be more aligned with your preferences than 43/70.
03-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
afroed, based on what you're saying, I'm going to agree with TOUGEFC here. If you look on B&H, the 35Ltd and 43Ltd are only~30 bucks different in price, new, and you should be able to get back most of the original cost of your 35 selling it off. It does sound to me that the 43/77 combo would be more aligned with your preferences than 43/70.
Another vote to swap the 35 for a 43! I like your 77 Ltd sample shot, I'd hang onto that one.
03-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'll add to the pile of votes to swap the 35 for the 43 and keep the 77.

That way, if you hit the wall with the 77, you can just switch to the 43.

I'm not sure the focal length difference between the 70 and 77 would help as much (though I've read that the 70 is closer to 68).
03-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I would had voted for the 43 as well, but considering that the OP just needed a slightly bit more space, the 55mm/1.4 might do it. oh and the lens is really great at f2.8.
03-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by afroed Quote
I understand what you say....
77 is little bit too long for my eyes too but the way it renders is worth keeping!
03-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I would had voted for the 43 as well, but considering that the OP just needed a slightly bit more space, the 55mm/1.4 might do it. oh and the lens is really great at f2.8.
You are right Aris, 43+55+77 would be one terrific combo