Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Multi-coated filter if Pentax MC lens?

Howdy-

Quick question, if I have a new multi-coated Pentax DA lens does a UV filter need to be MC as well?

Sorry if this has been a common thread.

Thanks.

03-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Any filter will degrade image quality (IQ) somewhat. Many of us feel that a UV filter is only of use in hazardous environments, and is otherwise best left home. An MC filter *will* produce less glare than an uncoated filter, so if you *are* in a harsh environment and you *do* need one, you might as well get one that's MC.

Please understand: UV filters are leftovers from film days. Film emulsions are sensitive to UV and insensitive to IR. Digital sensors are just the opposite, and almost all have both UV and IR filtration built into their light paths. The only excuse for UV or clear filters is lens protection -- and to enrich whomever is selling the filters. Unless you're amidst drenching humidity, blowing sand, burning oil etc, your lens is better protected with a hood, not a filter.
03-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks.

To be more clear, I don't use a filter on any lenses but have decided to put a thin one, B+W, on my 12-24 for various reasons, primarily protection.
03-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Howdy-

Quick question, if I have a new multi-coated Pentax DA lens does a UV filter need to be MC as well?

Sorry if this has been a common thread.

Thanks.
I would rather have a scratched UV filter than a scratched front element and I have had a couple of filters take the brunt of branches or table corners. A good filter is optically flat and won't degrade image quality to any measurable extent. I like Hoya HMC filters, these have an excellent multi-coating and a relatively thin profile. The Lenstip site did a nice comparison of multi-coated filters and Hoya HMC came out on top although they were not the most expensive brand tested.

03-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
I would rather have a scratched UV filter than a scratched front element and I have had a couple of filters take the brunt of branches or table corners. A good filter is optically flat and won't degrade image quality to any measurable extent. I like Hoya HMC filters, these have an excellent multi-coating and a relatively thin profile. The Lenstip site did a nice comparison of multi-coated filters and Hoya HMC came out on top although they were not the most expensive brand tested.
Oh yeah, I've done that too! Particularly shooting macro; focusing in on one blossom amidst a cluster of them, with such a narrow field of view it's easy to forget another blossom could be closer to your lens than the one you are trying get and smoosh! Sticky pollen dust all over the front of the lens, that's when I thank the deity for filters.

Thanks,