Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice, thanks. That really backs up "all I've read on the net" as cliche as that sounds

Does anyone know (off hand) if the internal design ever changed? Weren't they all Sonnar(?) optical layouts?

03-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aoleg Quote
Silver and non-MC black versions were similar in sharpness. NO soft-effect wide open. Again, there was no softness wide open with both the old lenses! They do sharpen up by f/2.8, but they're quite OK wide open, the black being ever so slightly sharper.

MC lens has STRONG SOFT FOCUS effect at f/2; exactly the same type I've seen in samples posted everywhere on the net. Glowing halos around bright objects. Very sharp by f/2.8; the soft-effect disappears.

Considering others' reports on late Jupiter lenses, I just wonder whether the lens was redesigned to become a 'better' (in the eyes of its designers) portrait lens, or if it was simply the lack of certain types of optical glass that caused re-calculation (as a result of re-structuring in Russian (ex-Soviet) manufacturing infrastructure).
Very interesting summary. I believe the later Jupiters were intentionally made soft wide open - no accident there. Otherwise, we'd see such softness in other recent lenses, not just in the Jupiter-9.

Do you have any larger samples from the earlier Jupiters shot wide open? I'd like to see those.
03-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Do you have any larger samples from the earlier Jupiters shot wide open? I'd like to see those.
The first image is a resize of the picture taken with the black M39 version of Jupiter-9. Next, there's a 100% crop from that lens followed by the 100% crop of the MC version. Note that, even as the two lenses are shot wide open, there's quite a lot of difference in rendering between the two. The MC lens looks like it has a smaller effective aperture - yet this is not the case! Shutter speed with the old lens was 1/1600, while the MC lens had 1/2000, meaning it transmits more light to the sensor for whatever reason.

Histograms: old lens / MC lens.

03-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aoleg Quote
The MC lens looks like it has a smaller effective aperture - yet this is not the case! Shutter speed with the old lens was 1/1600, while the MC lens had 1/2000, meaning it transmits more light to the sensor for whatever reason.
The MC is meant to help with light transmission, so that might explain the faster shutter speed with the MC lens.

Thanks for the comparison shots. Yes, the old ones lack the soft effect. Hmm - should I revive my LBA to get an old version ??? Glowing aside, the new ones still manage to capture details pretty well, but I haven't really figured out how to use that glow for a good effect.

03-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
but I haven't really figured out how to use that glow for a good effect.
It's a matter of taste, I guess, and certainly not always appropriate. To be honest, in the digital age, I believe adding glow would better be left to post-processing. Anyway, here is one of my attempts wide open that I believe came out pretty nicely (some crop and contrast boost applied in PP).

04-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Made my purchase

Made my purchase!
Thanks to all for the info about J9.
I went with a 1971 LZOS similer to the second photo of my original post. 117 USD (115 CAD) shipped. Hope to get it in couple of weeks. I was highly impressed with my Helios 44M, J9 will do the same hopefully.

Last edited by ultraviolet; 06-26-2011 at 11:02 PM.