Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sports Lens

Hi all, I am new to DSLR and Pentax, I have a k-x which I have had about 6 months to a year now and I love it.

What I am looking for is a good sports lens and my daughter plays soccer and I would like to get some good shots. I would like a lens that would be good both indoors and outside if posibble. She plays indoor in the winter, also nephews that play basketball etc.

Also would this lens be able to move to the other higher up bodies if - when I upgrade?

Thanks very much for your opinoins and advice!!!

George

03-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
bfo

Pentaxforums recently did a comparison: Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax | Sigma 70-200mm vs. Tamron 70-200mm vs. Pentax FA* 80-200mm F2.8
03-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the lenses shows on the post of bfo, are all very good but quite expensive.

Maybe you should tell us, how much money you are ready to spend ? it would prevent us to tell you to buy a 1.300$ if you are ready to spend half of this...
03-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well from the Sigma you can sometimes find the previous model 70-200 for a lot less then the current version with OS.

Don't expect your K-x to be the fastest in AF since this futures the AF-module of the K20D.

03-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My daughter also play soccer, now at the college level, so the fields are bigger than back in the day, and I can't always get very close to the field. I bought my K-x w/ getting her soccer pics in mind.

I'm sure the sports lens noted above are all quite excellent, but they are all $$$. I've been using the DAL 55-300 F4-5.8 kit lens, and I've been ecstatic with the results. The shots below are reduced/compressed, so you can't see the whole thing, but on the originals, the fine hairs on the arm are visible. The second pic which I pasted together from 4 pics shows what I could do using the continuous shooting. I was simply using the Sports mode. Now, I admit, I had great light, but I also did well in somewhat darker settings. I have not had a chance to try indoor shots, so the F4-5.8 might be a limitation.