Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
After exhausting my research and sleeping on it, I think I am leaning toward the Tamron 90mm f2.8.

I know that I shouldn't let price sway my decision, but with the $50 rebate going on with the Tamron right now, it makes it $200 less than the new Pentax, and $70 less than the Sigma 105.

All 3 lenses seem to have great reviews and a great following.

Time to get my M 100m f4 macro up for sale to help pay for this!

03-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The weather sealed version of the DFA does not have an aperture ring while the 'plain' DFA does. This matters if planning to use the lens with basic extension tubes (no pressing need maybe as it goes to 1:1 on itself, I suppose) or film bodies.
As I point out often, that matters a lot. It seems like many Pentax users either rediscover or discover film bodies. Unless there is something really important to be gained, I don't see giving up the aperture ring and losing the ability to use many of teh older, classic bodies.
03-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
As I point out often, that matters a lot. It seems like many Pentax users either rediscover or discover film bodies. Unless there is something really important to be gained, I don't see giving up the aperture ring and losing the ability to use many of teh older, classic bodies.
Probably true.

But in the future I'm thinking of getting the D-FA WR. I have no interest in using a film body for macro
03-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Focus limiter is practical for autofocusing in macro distances, to prevent the AF from whirring all the way from .305m to infinity and back if it misses focus.
Focus clamp is useful if you want to prevent any fine movements in the focus ring when shooting - useful in static subjects.
The DFA is not inferior to the FA - it's optically very similar, just lighter and smaller.
I've never had a need for a focus limited since autofocus is not something I use in macro. I find that if I'm moving around, handheld, I'll have set the focus I want and move into it. On a tripod, there's generally lots of time to set things manually. I have both models of DFA and can't see much IQ difference. I got the WR 'cause I crawl around alot in wet conditions and felt it might make a long term difference though I never experienced problems with the older model. Nor have I ever experienced a problem with 'creep', even when shooting vertically from above. So in my mind, both of the main concerns here are moot.
The earlier model displaced my Tamron SP 90 2.5, a manual lens that I can't part with - it was just that good. Hard for me to see a real difference in sharpness among the three lenses but I love the bokeh on the WR. And today, I hauled out my old, manual Asahi Pentax extension tubes and tried them with my 43 Ltd. Someone who knows these things can tell me what ratio I'm at with the #3 tube attached but probably around the 1:1 range and fantastic results. There's lots of choice out there!

03-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #20

There is one more difference between D-FA and D-FA WR: later version have rounded aperture blades and very nice bokeh.
03-14-2011, 02:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
I've never had a need for a focus limited since autofocus is not something I use in macro.
I suppose autofocus and hence the limiter are nice to have if/when using the lens for other purposes than macro, these are not bad at all for face snaps, candid or otherwise, from a bit of a distance. No dealbreaker, but a nice-to-have that would save my veins from the unecessary wear and tear from blood pressure spikes when AF goes hunting through all of the substantial focus throw of a macro lens .
03-14-2011, 02:44 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Maybe if they made a version with WR and DC... then it can AF hunt really fast