Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #1

Newbie lens question

Although I have been quite happy with the kit lens on my K10D, I now want to upgrade to a higher quality standard zoom. I had decided on the 16-50 f2.8 AL IF DA* SDM, but looking at some store sites here in UK, I see one of them is advertising the 'last few' of these lenses. Does this mean the lens is being discontinued? If so, should I snap one up now or think of something else?

Bill

03-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think it's being discontinued...

Instead, that store you're looking at probably just keeps a low stock of them by choice - possible that they don't have many people buying Pentax lenses off them and they don't bother to restock inventory till the number is 0 or something.
03-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Bill , it seems generally agreed upon that the IQ of that lens is spectacular however it has also been plauged with SDM failures and misaligned elements. There are a ton of threads here about people loosing opportunities at pro shoots , lenses sent back for service on multiple occassions and general dissatisfaction with the reliabillity of that lens. Personally I wouldn't buy it if it was on sale for $100.00 US.
Read a few threads before you drop the money!
03-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Bill,

The optical quality of the 16-50 is fantastic, but it is wrapped in an expensive weather-resistant and SDM shell (that is prone to failure).

I would suggest you look at the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for a major quality upgrade, unless you want weather resistance.

Buy the lens new. It too is prone to misalignent, but if you buy the lens new, you can exchange if you get a bum copy, and the nice thing about the Tamron is that it is backed by a 6 year warranty.

It's also about half the price .

03-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'll go for the new Sigma 17-50 instead.
03-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a number of happy campers with the DA*16-50. If you buy it, get an extended warranty for it; that will give you peace of mind.