Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D with DA 15mm Limited

I'm thinking of getting a K10D, mostly because of the way it renders colors, but I'd like to be sure it handles the DA 15mm well, which is what I'd keep glued to it most of the time for scenic shots.
Would you guys that have the K10D and the 15mm please posts some shots?

03-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't good or bad PP sort of make any absolute comparison meaningless?
03-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

How about actually moving some parts of your body and doing some searching? Go on PENTAX Photo Gallery and filter images by the lens. There are plenty good ones taken with the K10...
03-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry, I don't have any photos online to link to but I do own both a K10D and the DA 15mm and I can say that I have been very happy with the combo. I guess if you do significant enlargements, this might be impacted by the sensor resolution (but this would be the case regardless of the lens used.) I think that if you have a good copy of the DA15, it will work great on pretty much any body.

03-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Sunny. I flipped though about the first 200 or so images on PPG Premium (couldn't find how to search for specific body/lens), and while there are a lot with K10D, none with the 15mm. I did find some with the comparable DA 14 and a bunch with the 12-24 and K10D, and they really looked good.
I believe I've decided to get a K10D, mainly because the images look richer than later models.
I don't go larger than 20X30, and as long as the focus is sharp and the lens is good, 10 MPs can handle that fine.
03-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think you've made a good decision. I don't have the 15 yet, but it will be coming in the next month or so. I love my K10D and haven't been given a good enough reason to upgrade.

The K10D will also do larger than 20x30 just fine. The 30x30 I ordered just came in last week and looked incredible.

To see images from the 15 in the gallery, go to the homepage: PENTAX Photo Gallery, and click on "Image Data" near the bottom of the page, two options will appear: "camera model" and "lens", click lens and select the 15.
03-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I switched a few years ago from decades of Nikons to Pentax for a number of reasons, most based in the bottom line, but one of the biggest was that I like the "Pentax look." I started with the K20D (fine camera), but only recently realized what attracted me to Pentax in the first place was pics posted from the K10D.

03-14-2011, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Ron,
I don't have the lens, but do have the K10D and love it.

I'm pretty new here, and not used to some of the snarky remarks left by a few of the members.
I just don't get it, it serves no purpose, imo.

Good luck with the K10D!
03-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Ron,
I don't have the lens, but do have the K10D and love it.

I'm pretty new here, and not used to some of the snarky remarks left by a few of the members.
I just don't get it, it serves no purpose, imo.

Good luck with the K10D!
I agree, however some members take offense when people are seen as not trying to use the search functions of the website. I think that sarcastic posts like this shouldn't be posted in threads when people are simply asking questions. Please don't write the forum off because of a few snarky comments.
03-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's a great combination - I have a handful of photos made by this combination on my PPG (see signature).

I could even send you a full-size, unaltered JPEG if you'd like.
06-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your comments. Since it is just cyperspace, I find it very easy to ignore snarky remarks.
I've been using my new/old K10D for a few weeks now and love it. Since I shoot everything at low ISO, it produces great pics--in fact, better than my K20D.
Sort of backwards, but my K20D has become my backup camera. I'm convinced there is a difference between CCD and CMOS sensors, and I also think Pentax is losing the special "look" that attracted me to them in the first place by joining the high-ISO race.
Ten MP is plenty for the commercial work I do (magazines), but I can't crop a verticle from a horizontal with the K10D and still have a large file as I did with my K20D. More MPs is the only thing the K20D has over the K10D, but I like everything else about it better.
As far as the 15mm is concerned, I think the CCD of the K10D actually gives me more detail.
06-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
As far as the 15mm is concerned, I think the CCD of the K10D actually gives me more detail.
Great to hear that everything is working out for you. Great illustration that you can spend relatively little on a body - as long as you have good glass on the front (and light), you will get great results.
06-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own a DA 15 and the K10D and have current posts in the Photo of the week threads and the DA 15 thread in Lens Clubs along with a months worth of shots in the Single in May challenge last month. It's a great combination. While the new K5 is a great camera, I decided some time ago to invest in glass a little at a time before upgrading to a new body. No regrets whatsoever on that decision and the DA 15 is turning out to be the best glass investment yet.
06-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Da15 ltd is not a very sharp lens. However, its colour would be rendered quite well on better performing sensor. k10d has that yellow colour rendering ...
06-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
.... k10d has that yellow colour rendering ...
which is exactly why so many folks love it...