Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #16
Inactive Account

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/13395-so-wider...tml#post106715

10-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Then why did you just buy a 75-300mm lens?
QuoteOriginally posted by azcavalier Quote
I'm not looking for a 300mm lens. I want something with a longer reach than that. I have the Tamron 18-200mm lens, and I didn't want to spend the $$$ for just a 300mm lens. But thanks for the opinion!
10-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ah, but you can see from that why I was confused.

In this case, it was a digital lens, and the advertising for it says "The super wide-angle capability of this zoom lens (equivalent range of approx. 15-30mm when used with a Pentax digital SLR camera" makes it sound like if you put this lens (which has different mounts for different brands) on any camera it will be a 10-20 mm, however if you put it on a Pentax it will be the same as a 15-30mm lens!

Their wording is inaccurate. Thus, the confusion.

This is not the same question. That is a lens made for digital cameras going on digital cameras, and my question was why was it different if used with the Pentax. This is a question about 35 mm film lenses going on digital cameras, which I had (mis)understood to have some advantage.
10-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Then why did you just buy a 75-300mm lens?
Because I thought it was longer! It's OK, though. I think that the Tokina's quality will be pretty good, and that the lens is worth more than I paid for it considering that it has never been used. Plus, i'll just get a 2x tele-extender. It's not fast enough for any kind of sports photography anyway. I mainly wanted it for wildlife, scenery, and moon shots...things that aren't really going anywhere. So i'm fine, I think.

10-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #20

This is not the same question. That is a lens made for digital cameras going on digital cameras, and my question was why was it different if used with the Pentax. This is a question about 35 mm film lenses going on digital cameras, which I had (mis)understood to have some advantage.
It actually is the same question, since for field of view, it doesn't matter which lens (digital or film) you put on the same digital body; both lenses will produce the same view. That's why I referred to the link that had an explanation using an example of a digital lens, but the explanation is still the same if a "film" lens was used. Apparently, that point wasn't made clear...is that clear now?

Alex
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gerbilbox Quote
It actually is the same question, since for field of view, it doesn't matter which lens (digital or film) you put on the same digital body; both lenses will produce the same view. That's why I referred to the link that had an explanation using an example of a digital lens, but the explanation is still the same if a "film" lens was used. Apparently, that point wasn't made clear...is that clear now?

Alex
Yep. It's clear now. Kind of an expensive lesson to learn for me. But, hey, I have a new lens, and that's *always* good, right? And, of course, it prompted me to look on eBay and get this....7 Element Tokina 2X Converter for Pentax.

Photography gets expensive fast, doesn't it?
10-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is how it was explained to me.. You do NOT gain focal length by putting a lens on a 1.5 x crop digital SLR, it just changes the field of view. In other words, let's say you buy a 28mm lens, which would be considered a pretty wide angle lens on a film camera. It is still a 28mm focal length on a 1.5 x crop digital SLR, but it is not as "wide" because the sensor on a 1.5 x crop digital is smaller than 35 mm film. So that 28 mm lens on the digital SLR would have the FIELD OF VIEW of a 42 mm lens on a film camera.

10-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Photography gets expensive fast, doesn't it?
You don't know the half of it. I was merrily going about my business and one day someone put an 85mm A* f1.4 in my hands to try. Now the LBA is over the top. All the lenses I like so much don't look as good somehow. Note; that lens sells for around $1200-1400 these days. Check this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/13562-i-touche...y-one-thm.html

I'd like to suggest that most 2x converters are just too long for good image quality. You loose speed (f4 becomes f8) and there is a drop in the sharpness of the picture, not terrible but noticable. I'd suggest that a 1.4x is as high as you should go unless you have the 'lens fairy' give you a free AF 1.7x Pentax version.
10-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
You don't know the half of it. I was merrily going about my business and one day someone put an 85mm A* f1.4 in my hands to try. Now the LBA is over the top. All the lenses I like so much don't look as good somehow. Note; that lens sells for around $1200-1400 these days. Check this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/13562-i-touche...y-one-thm.html

I'd like to suggest that most 2x converters are just too long for good image quality. You loose speed (f4 becomes f8) and there is a drop in the sharpness of the picture, not terrible but noticable. I'd suggest that a 1.4x is as high as you should go unless you have the 'lens fairy' give you a free AF 1.7x Pentax version.
I had read that thread, and the pictures are incredible. It's going to be a while before I put down that kind of $$$ for a lens. Especially since my photography doesn't bring in any money. Kind of hard to justify that. Heck, it's hard to justify what I already own, or just bought on eBay.