Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC 50mm f/1.7

Well I found one for $17 +12 shipping

I've been debating buying it as a backup for the one I have already.

What's the going price on these?

10-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Dunno.. I just sold a S-M-C Takumar 50mm f1.4 for $283.. And I was going to list another one I have for an even $200..

A while back I picked up a mint SMC-M 50mm f1.7 for $50 though.. I think if you pay under $100 for that particular lens you're doing OK. If you're thinking of spending more money, make sure its on the non -M or -A Takumar 50mm f1.4 - absolutely superb lenses. They added a radioactive material (often thorium) to the glass to create highly refractive glass resulting in superb light transmission and color, contrast and sharpness. Not to mention, when you buy the lens in M42 screwmount, you can use this lens with any manufacturer's cameras with an adapter. It's a very smart investment.
10-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The one I'm looking at is an actual Pentax lense

Great deal if I can get it
10-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
Well I found one for $17 +12 shipping

I've been debating buying it as a backup for the one I have already.

What's the going price on these?
I was on the market looking for them for a month and these are my conclusions about the 50 1.7 prices

For what I have seen, SMC-M 1.7 are going from 20-80 dollars (If I am honest I only saw one going for 80$). Excellent ones are going from 30-60 but you can be very lucky and score a good one under 30 but be careful because some of them have some issues (haze, oil...).

SMC-A 1. 7 are going from 60-110, being normal for a good copy to pay something between 70-90. They usually have a very stiff aperture ring but otherwise are excellent lenses.

SMC F 1.7 are going from 125-200$ being the average about 150 for an excellent copy.

SMC FA 1.7 are going from 175-200 and you would be happy to find one (I did).

Now, I have them all and I am going to keep 1 autofocus and one manual focus so if you are interested.... I like the SMC-M the most but to manual focus in a K100D can be difficult. All of them are wonderfull but I have the feeling that the SMC-M and the SMC-A are sharper wide open. At any case, I didnot do any specific test and I wont do it because is again my religion to expend to much time shooting newspapers

Hope it helps

10-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
The one I'm looking at is an actual Pentax lense
I sense a misunderstanding here.

Takumar lenses are actual Pentax lenses. "Takumar" was just a name applied to a series of lenses offered by Asahi (=Pentax).
10-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Takumar was named after one of the designers at Asahi Optical. With the creation of the K-mount, the lenses where named "Pentax" which is short for "PENTAprism refleX". Still the same Asahi Optical, just different naming.