Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #1

WR limiteds?

Can anyone tell me why the limited edition primes aren't weather sealed?
I would love to have that feature on these great lenses...

03-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because then they wouldn't be as small as they are. Pentax's DA* series is weather-sealed but also larger.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see problem with weather sealing them in their current size.
03-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The D FA 100 macro WR is built exactly like a limited lens (design, full metal body, 49mm filter diameter), except it's also WR. It makes no sacrifices in size (if I'm not mistaken I believe it's very slightly smaller than the non-WR version).

Hopefully that's a sign that future limiteds will also be WR.

Last edited by Cannikin; 03-15-2011 at 01:22 AM.
03-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I don't see problem with weather sealing them in their current size.
Agreed.
Prehaps they dont do it beacuse it might cannibalize the sales of the * lenses.
03-15-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Stupid decision imho. Many photographers value Petax for their (compact) primes and weather sealing.
As it is now you can either have a compact set-up or a sealed one.
Combine them - unique selling point!

Also why are there 8 DA lens lines right now?
"Old" style non-WR non-SDM 10-17, 12-24, 16-45, 55-300,
non-WR SDM 17-70,
new style non-SDM 18-55 WR and 55-200 WR,
DA-L 18-55, 55-200, 35,
18-135 WR DC,
DA Ltd. line,
D-FA consisting of one single lens (seriously?),
DA*s

They need to clean up their whole line-up.
03-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Isn't the limited lineup primarily before current WR designs came into being?
03-15-2011, 04:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Isn't the limited lineup primarily before current WR designs came into being?
I think this is correct. The K10 was the first sealed camera body that Pentax sold, but I think the DA 35, 40 and 70 all predate that body.

I wouldn't mind, in particular, if Pentax updated the FA limiteds to give them quick shift and WR. They would really tempt me then. At the same time, I would like Pentax to work on new lens designs, rather than just putting weather sealing on old ones.

03-15-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pmastello Quote
Can anyone tell me why the limited edition primes aren't weather sealed?
I would love to have that feature on these great lenses...
I shoot exclusively in the Canadian Arctic in conditions that are less than comfortable; wind, rain, wet snow and just plain cold. I have both Ltd's and three WR, the 100, 16-50 & 50-135 *s. But I also use my old manual Tamron SP 90 and manual 50 1.7. Used them for years going back to my Spotmatic. They're stil in good condition, they still function exactly as they should even after many years of inclemency. The biggest concern is cold, bagging equipment before coming inside from thirty below to room temp and the potential for condensation. Snow and rain protection generally consists of putting a baseball cap over the camera and lens and having lots of paper towels and dry lens cloth's to wipe things down. Overall, don't worry too much, just take sensible precautions. If you want to leave the camera and lens fully exposed in driving rain, you'll have problems but I've foundd that pentax equipment can take a lot - the Spotmatic once. Went through a week on a dog sled trip where temperatures never got above -45F!
03-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
D-FA consisting of one single lens (seriously?)
Two: 100mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/2.8 (3 if you count both versions of the 100). The 645D also uses the same designation on lenses with the same properties: made for digital, but guaranteed to cover the "full frame" of their respective formats.

And there are not "8 lines". They are grouped by optical/build quality, not peripheral technologies; notice those are tacked on in a list with all the other peripheral properties (i.e. ED AL IF DC WR, etc), completely separate from the line designation. Technologies like DC and WR were introduced long after the digital series started, and may be used on new entries into existing lines, but that changes nothing about the relative qualities that the lines indicate (and they obviously can't scrap and remake every single lens every time a new technology is introduced).

DA L: cheap, cut down kit zooms, optically identical to DA
DA: general consumer lenses
DA Limited: high quality, metal primes
DA*: "professional" grade lenses
D FA: lenses that are "optimized" for digital, but are guaranteed to cover full frame

Last edited by Cannikin; 03-15-2011 at 06:23 AM.
03-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's rather disappointing to see Pentax community running in circles, sucking the lack of WR lenses from all the possible angles, while everybody else are out taking pics regardless of the fact if their gear is triple-condomed or not...
03-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have never seen a WR lens as small as a limited.

I have never had a problem with my normal lenses in light rain (don't worry, just the K55 ).
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Two: 100mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/2.8 (3 if you count both versions of the 100). The 645D also uses the same designation on lenses with the same properties: made for digital, but guaranteed to cover the "full frame" of their respective formats.

And there are not "8 lines". They are grouped by optical/build quality, not peripheral technologies; notice those are tacked on in a list with all the other peripheral properties (i.e. ED AL IF DC WR, etc), completely separate from the line designation. Technologies like DC and WR were introduced long after the digital series started, and may be used on new entries into existing lines, but that changes nothing about the relative qualities that the lines indicate (and they obviously can't scrap and remake every single lens every time a new technology is introduced).

DA L: cheap, cut down kit zooms, optically identical to DA
DA: general consumer lenses
DA Limited: high quality, metal primes
DA*: "professional" grade lenses
D FA: lenses that are "optimized" for digital, but are guaranteed to cover full frame
I should have made this clearer...
Ok, officially there aren't 8 DA lens lines.
What I mean is that within the lenses with the DA designation there are 8 groups of lenses with different levels of technology.

I understand they can't reintroduce every single lens with the latest technolgy but some really need an upgrade.
There won't be and updated 16-45 I guess since it would spoil the sales of the 16-50.

Is the D-FA 50mm F2.8 still in production? If so why is this lens not updated yet?
And if the D-FA designation is for lenses that cover the full frame then why isn't the DA 40 Ltd. labeled as D-FA? Or the DA* 55, 200 and 300 which all cover the full frame (if I'm not mistaken. Sure on the 40 Ltd.)?

So my point is: at least update the consumer grade DAs.
10-17---->WR, 17-70---> WR (SDM---->DC?), 55-300--->WR DC (probably coming soon).

Last edited by Egg Salad; 03-15-2011 at 10:06 AM.
03-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think they are waiting for me to buy the limiteds. As soon as that happens they will release the WR versions and I'll have to buy them again.
03-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sounds realistic.
They always know...