Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #1

New Sigma 17-50 and K10D

On a previous thread, Pentaxor kindly suggested I looked at the new Sigma 17-50 as a kit lens replacement for my K10D. Based on the reviews I have read, it looks as though it has built in stabilisation. How will this work with the K10D's shake reduction? I guess you either disable one or the other - or perhaps the Pentax version of the lens doesn't have stabilisation anyway?

Is there anyone here who has this lens or can give me some advice?

Bill

03-16-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Bill

the pentax version does has the OS....so its up to you..either disable that or disable the SR in the K10.

I do have the lens by the way
03-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Forum Member

Dear Bill,

All versions of this lens have Sigma's OS system, so it will give Sony and Pentax shooters the option to use either the OS system of the lens or the Pentax SR system. You can't use both at the same time and since there is nog communication between lens and camera on this subject, you will need te enable or disable both the SR system and the OS system.
03-16-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax version of the lens does have OS, and yes, it is recommended you either use the lens OS or the body SR, just not both at once. I personally just leave SR on on my camera bodies, and don't touch the OS on the lens.

03-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a Sigma zoom with OS. However, I choose to use SR for a couple reasons:

1. It is one less thing to remember to set when I change lenses.
2. Sigma warns the lens can be damaged if OS is left on when changing.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-16-2011 at 12:09 PM.
03-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I have a Sigma zoom with OS. However, I choose to use SR for a couple reasons:

1. It is one less thing to remember to set when I change lenses.
2. Sigma warns the lens can be damaged if OS is left on when changing.
Hey Special K

Number 2 on your list comes as a shock to me. It assures I'll never buy a Sigma OS lens: I am the type who will forget to shut it off while changing. Those lenses are expensive!!!

Thank you for posting this one.
03-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Hey Special K

Number 2 on your list comes as a shock to me. It assures I'll never buy a Sigma OS lens: I am the type who will forget to shut it off while changing. Those lenses are expensive!!!

Thank you for posting this one.
I cant even remember to turn the camera off when changing lenses or returning the camera to the bag... i'd be screwed!

Steve

03-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
I cant even remember to turn the camera off when changing lenses or returning the camera to the bag... i'd be screwed!

Steve

Steve:

I am of the same school as you--can you imagine it, droppig close to a grand (depending upon lens of course, some are waaaay more), only to lose the lens because you forgot to shut it off
03-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone! Based on your reples and the latest review in 'Advanced Photographer' magazine, I'm leaning towards the Tamron now. Stil undecided, though.....

Bill
03-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You could consider the older sigma 18-50 f/2.8 macro. I use that lens a lot, and it performs admirably. See my flickr for examples.