Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this lens DIY repairable?

Got my (second, cause I sold the other one) FA 80-320 today. Hooked it to the camera, and nothing. Of course, it's over 60 degrees and the robins are returning today and my new lens isn't working right :ugh:

Symptoms:
-No aperture control (F--)
-No AF (wonder if the whole lens is dead?)
-No focal length recognition
-A position locks fine
-Aperture works fine as an M lens

Troubleshooting:
-Wiggle the lens in the mount
-Cleaned contacts (lens and camera) with 91% Iso alcohol
-Moved aperture ring in an out of A position
-Mount/dismount lens multiple times
-Tried my only other A lens, the (working) PKA Adaptall. Recognizes aperture perfectly
-Open circuit between pin 3 and lens mount (indicates a bad/dirty A switch inside the lens)
-Eric at pentaxs.com doesn't have parts

I haven't contacted the seller yet. I'd rather have the lens working than send it back...he'll probably tell me to pound sand anyway...ebay doesn't roll that way anymore, however, so I'd rather fix it or get a partial refund. It's the AF issue which concerns me most, because something must be royally wrong inside it.

Can someone tell me if these contacts look right? I don't have any lenses newer than Ms at the moment. Notice the two stick up, while the other 3 do not.

03-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, they do not look ok. All should stick up, just like the first two.
Don`t know about DIY on that lens.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-16-2011 at 03:42 PM.
03-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No, they do not look OK. All should stick up, just like the first two.
Don`t know about DIY on that lens.
Especially the third Pin from the left! That's the A pin (notice the A pin on the camera side is recessed & those pins must touch.

It isn't dangerous to remove the mounting plate from the lens to see what's going on. All the pins should be up.
03-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AF is mechanical. Press the end of a soft pencil eraser against the AF drive pin (or capture it in a small plastic tube, etc) and spin it to see if the AF gears turn.

H2

03-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
It isn't dangerous to remove the mounting plate from the lens to see what's going on. All the pins should be up.
It's not dangerous, but tiny little magical parts (contacts, pins, springs, ball bearings) can sometimes jump out, run away, and hide. So if you do this, be careful, watch closely, and keep a clean and wide-open workspace.

I like to do my lens work in a shallow plastic tray with raised edges, for this very reason.
03-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
It's not dangerous, but tiny little magical parts (contacts, pins, springs, ball bearings) can sometimes jump out, run away, and hide. So if you do this, be careful, watch closely, and keep a clean and wide-open workspace.

I like to do my lens work in a shallow plastic tray with raised edges, for this very reason.
I was going to say " In a Tupperware box". Same effect. Just be careful for small flying parts, if you decide to take it apart
03-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You definitely can open it up and check - but - I bet the seller will then say you are the one who mess up the lens! Send him the picture, ask for a full or partial refund first and wait to see what is the respond. Someone may already open up the lens before.

03-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
AF is mechanical. Press the end of a soft pencil eraser against the AF drive pin (or capture it in a small plastic tube, etc) and spin it to see if the AF gears turn.

H2
Spinning the focus ring spins the gear, and vice versa (using a small flat-head). I didn't bother to look up the pin assignments yet, so it must be one of the 2 near the locking slot. If it's one of the 2 nearest the AF drive...then it might be the electronics inside the lens...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I was going to say " In a Tupperware box". Same effect. Just be careful for small flying parts, if you decide to take it apart
I opened a couple cheap A lenses...getting the aperture ball bearing to stay put while navigating the A switch over the metal contacts...oh man, what a night that was :ugh: Luckily the grease on the ball bearing didn't let it get too far away...

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
You definitely can open it up and check - but - I bet the seller will then say you are the one who mess up the lens! Send him the picture, ask for a full or partial refund first and wait to see what is the respond. Someone may already open up the lens before.
Add to it that it was sent wrapped in a plastic bag inside a Flat Rate Envelope (thin cardboard, no bubble wrap inside)...I don't know what's going to happen I'm going to see what the local place says tomorrow.

Eric H doesn't have parts.
BDC (local shop) is next.
Pentax says they service some FAs.
Precision Camera wants $98 without even seeing it...

So those are/were my repair preferences in order, if I get a refund.
03-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

IMO, any dumb butt that would ship a lens in an envelope deserves whatever you can get from them.
03-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
IMO, any dumb butt that would ship a lens in an envelope deserves whatever you can get from them.
Totally agree! I would return the lens and demand a full refund. It is not your responsibility to fix what happened to the lens before it reach your hands.
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Sorry for the hassle but it reinforces my decision to just buy used gears from our Marketplace. You sound like ebay will not support you on this? I know you didnt send him a bag of cash so (assuming) won't Paypal refund your cost if you just declare it DOA?
03-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Add to it that it was sent wrapped in a plastic bag inside a Flat Rate Envelope (thin cardboard, no bubble wrap inside)...
The USPS Should not have allowed it to be shipped this way, The flat rate shipping rules are if it doesn't distort the packaging, meaning only books and magazines are to be shipped in the flat rate envelopes. Standard part of any USPS retail employee training, I am a rural carrier substitute. Obviously the Clerk or carrier that accepted it was asleep.
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Totally agree! I would return the lens and demand a full refund. It is not your responsibility to fix what happened to the lens before it reach your hands.
I've gotten a partial refund before because of the seller's (son's, really) inadequate packing. I bought a tube amp and the 4 tubes were smashed into nickel-to-powerdered-sugar-size shards. The value of the amp far exceeded what I paid, so with a refund of almost half what I paid, I got new tubes and it was good as new. Well, except for the smashed mounting foot...

This is my second 80-320, and I sold my first for double what I paid for this one. Fixing this one is still cheaper than sourcing an FA 100-300, for example, or finding a Purple Monster (Tamron). Took a couple shots with it (with manual aperture :ugh yesterday and it's everything my silver one was. The body has a couple light scuffs and the glass is clear and scratch-free. It's not a *300mm by any means, but it's unbeatable under $100

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Sorry for the hassle but it reinforces my decision to just buy used gears from our Marketplace. You sound like ebay will not support you on this? I know you didnt send him a bag of cash so (assuming) won't Paypal refund your cost if you just declare it DOA?
ebay will support me, just that I'd rather have a partial refund to fix the lens (if repairable)

Sent the seller a message before hopping on here...will be taking it to BDC tomorrow for an estimate. It may not even need parts, just an adjustment and/or cleaning. Still, that shouldn't come out of my own pocket.

QuoteOriginally posted by LisaRae82 Quote
The USPS Should not have allowed it to be shipped this way, The flat rate shipping rules are if it doesn't distort the packaging, meaning only books and magazines are to be shipped in the flat rate envelopes. Standard part of any USPS retail employee training, I am a rural carrier substitute. Obviously the Clerk or carrier that accepted it was asleep.
You said it!

The tube amp failed the shake test before I opened it...somehow, this lens passed