Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
Is this lens DIY repairable?

Got my (second, cause I sold the other one) FA 80-320 today. Hooked it to the camera, and nothing. Of course, it's over 60 degrees and the robins are returning today and my new lens isn't working right :ugh:

Symptoms:
-No aperture control (F--)
-No AF (wonder if the whole lens is dead?)
-No focal length recognition
-A position locks fine
-Aperture works fine as an M lens


Troubleshooting:
-Wiggle the lens in the mount
-Cleaned contacts (lens and camera) with 91% Iso alcohol
-Moved aperture ring in an out of A position
-Mount/dismount lens multiple times
-Tried my only other A lens, the (working) PKA Adaptall. Recognizes aperture perfectly
-Open circuit between pin 3 and lens mount (indicates a bad/dirty A switch inside the lens)
-Eric at pentaxs.com doesn't have parts

I haven't contacted the seller yet. I'd rather have the lens working than send it back...he'll probably tell me to pound sand anyway...ebay doesn't roll that way anymore, however, so I'd rather fix it or get a partial refund. It's the AF issue which concerns me most, because something must be royally wrong inside it.

Can someone tell me if these contacts look right? I don't have any lenses newer than Ms at the moment. Notice the two stick up, while the other 3 do not.




03-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,296
No, they do not look ok. All should stick up, just like the first two.
Don`t know about DIY on that lens.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-16-2011 at 03:42 PM.
03-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,965
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No, they do not look OK. All should stick up, just like the first two.
Don`t know about DIY on that lens.
Especially the third Pin from the left! That's the A pin (notice the A pin on the camera side is recessed & those pins must touch.

It isn't dangerous to remove the mounting plate from the lens to see what's going on. All the pins should be up.
03-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
AF is mechanical. Press the end of a soft pencil eraser against the AF drive pin (or capture it in a small plastic tube, etc) and spin it to see if the AF gears turn.

H2

03-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,491
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
It isn't dangerous to remove the mounting plate from the lens to see what's going on. All the pins should be up.
It's not dangerous, but tiny little magical parts (contacts, pins, springs, ball bearings) can sometimes jump out, run away, and hide. So if you do this, be careful, watch closely, and keep a clean and wide-open workspace.

I like to do my lens work in a shallow plastic tray with raised edges, for this very reason.
03-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,296
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
It's not dangerous, but tiny little magical parts (contacts, pins, springs, ball bearings) can sometimes jump out, run away, and hide. So if you do this, be careful, watch closely, and keep a clean and wide-open workspace.

I like to do my lens work in a shallow plastic tray with raised edges, for this very reason.
I was going to say " In a Tupperware box". Same effect. Just be careful for small flying parts, if you decide to take it apart
03-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
MJL
Site Supporter
MJL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Canadian WetCoast
Photos: Albums
Posts: 366
You definitely can open it up and check - but - I bet the seller will then say you are the one who mess up the lens! Send him the picture, ask for a full or partial refund first and wait to see what is the respond. Someone may already open up the lens before.
03-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
AF is mechanical. Press the end of a soft pencil eraser against the AF drive pin (or capture it in a small plastic tube, etc) and spin it to see if the AF gears turn.

H2
Spinning the focus ring spins the gear, and vice versa (using a small flat-head). I didn't bother to look up the pin assignments yet, so it must be one of the 2 near the locking slot. If it's one of the 2 nearest the AF drive...then it might be the electronics inside the lens...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I was going to say " In a Tupperware box". Same effect. Just be careful for small flying parts, if you decide to take it apart
I opened a couple cheap A lenses...getting the aperture ball bearing to stay put while navigating the A switch over the metal contacts...oh man, what a night that was :ugh: Luckily the grease on the ball bearing didn't let it get too far away...

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
You definitely can open it up and check - but - I bet the seller will then say you are the one who mess up the lens! Send him the picture, ask for a full or partial refund first and wait to see what is the respond. Someone may already open up the lens before.
Add to it that it was sent wrapped in a plastic bag inside a Flat Rate Envelope (thin cardboard, no bubble wrap inside)...I don't know what's going to happen I'm going to see what the local place says tomorrow.

Eric H doesn't have parts.
BDC (local shop) is next.
Pentax says they service some FAs.
Precision Camera wants $98 without even seeing it...

So those are/were my repair preferences in order, if I get a refund.

03-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Kentucky
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,415
IMO, any dumb butt that would ship a lens in an envelope deserves whatever you can get from them.
03-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
MJL
Site Supporter
MJL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Canadian WetCoast
Photos: Albums
Posts: 366
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
IMO, any dumb butt that would ship a lens in an envelope deserves whatever you can get from them.
Totally agree! I would return the lens and demand a full refund. It is not your responsibility to fix what happened to the lens before it reach your hands.
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
Sorry for the hassle but it reinforces my decision to just buy used gears from our Marketplace. You sound like ebay will not support you on this? I know you didnt send him a bag of cash so (assuming) won't Paypal refund your cost if you just declare it DOA?
03-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alabama, United States
Posts: 10
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Add to it that it was sent wrapped in a plastic bag inside a Flat Rate Envelope (thin cardboard, no bubble wrap inside)...
The USPS Should not have allowed it to be shipped this way, The flat rate shipping rules are if it doesn't distort the packaging, meaning only books and magazines are to be shipped in the flat rate envelopes. Standard part of any USPS retail employee training, I am a rural carrier substitute. Obviously the Clerk or carrier that accepted it was asleep.
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Totally agree! I would return the lens and demand a full refund. It is not your responsibility to fix what happened to the lens before it reach your hands.
I've gotten a partial refund before because of the seller's (son's, really) inadequate packing. I bought a tube amp and the 4 tubes were smashed into nickel-to-powerdered-sugar-size shards. The value of the amp far exceeded what I paid, so with a refund of almost half what I paid, I got new tubes and it was good as new. Well, except for the smashed mounting foot...

This is my second 80-320, and I sold my first for double what I paid for this one. Fixing this one is still cheaper than sourcing an FA 100-300, for example, or finding a Purple Monster (Tamron). Took a couple shots with it (with manual aperture :ugh yesterday and it's everything my silver one was. The body has a couple light scuffs and the glass is clear and scratch-free. It's not a *300mm by any means, but it's unbeatable under $100

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Sorry for the hassle but it reinforces my decision to just buy used gears from our Marketplace. You sound like ebay will not support you on this? I know you didnt send him a bag of cash so (assuming) won't Paypal refund your cost if you just declare it DOA?
ebay will support me, just that I'd rather have a partial refund to fix the lens (if repairable)

Sent the seller a message before hopping on here...will be taking it to BDC tomorrow for an estimate. It may not even need parts, just an adjustment and/or cleaning. Still, that shouldn't come out of my own pocket.

QuoteOriginally posted by LisaRae82 Quote
The USPS Should not have allowed it to be shipped this way, The flat rate shipping rules are if it doesn't distort the packaging, meaning only books and magazines are to be shipped in the flat rate envelopes. Standard part of any USPS retail employee training, I am a rural carrier substitute. Obviously the Clerk or carrier that accepted it was asleep.
You said it!




The tube amp failed the shake test before I opened it...somehow, this lens passed
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, aperture, camera, contacts, k-mount, lens, mount, pentax lens, position, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Lens Hoods - no math required pacerr Do-It-Yourself 32 05-08-2014 01:43 AM
DIY Macro/micro lens… maybe underwater? Advice appreciated. cadmus Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 02-22-2011 07:14 AM
DIY Lens Hood jersey_m Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 02-16-2011 09:27 AM
DIY Mamiya-Sekor M645-to-PK lens adapter pacerr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 04-10-2010 06:28 AM
DIY Lens Cap Holder-Link davidreilly3207 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 01-18-2010 05:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top