Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #1

Broken FA*300 4.5...what do?

Hi folks

I just got my hands on a broken FA* 300 4.5

Basically the autofocus does not work, nor does the aperture (wont stop down in A mode or otherwise)

Essentially I'm wondering if this is worth finding out whats wrong with it and fixing it, or should I try to get rid of it "as is"

Does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to fix such problems? I got the lens for free so I probably wouldn't mind putting a little cash into this ugly duckling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

03-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is likely repairable unless you see obvious outside dents or the glass is damaged. If you don't want to get it fixed I would be glad to take it off your hands.
03-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
That is a spectacular lens. Take it to Pentax and have them fix it.
03-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i.m.fildes Quote
Hi folks

I just got my hands on a broken FA* 300 4.5

Basically the autofocus does not work, nor does the aperture (wont stop down in A mode or otherwise)

Essentially I'm wondering if this is worth finding out whats wrong with it and fixing it, or should I try to get rid of it "as is"

Does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to fix such problems? I got the lens for free so I probably wouldn't mind putting a little cash into this ugly duckling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
pretty odd someone would give it to you for free unless the person is family, an old retired individual who lost interest in photography, or finally the lens is really in bad shape.

the aperture blades are probably stuck and autofocus mechanism might had failed whether the electronics or the gears. you might want to consider contacting Pentax if they can do something about it and how much is the cost. if it doesn't work out for you, I'll be willing to take it from you.

03-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
I received it through My college, who got it with a load of other pentax gear. The college uses primarily Canon products and had no interest in a broken Pentax lens.

There is a bit of a dent on the barrel, I've attached a photo of the dent.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HTC Vision  Photo 
03-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's probably just severed a wire. I'm sure it can be fixed for a couple hundred dollars.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Email Eric Henderson at Pentax Camera Service - he repairs older film bodies and lenses.

03-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

oi, that is a painful sight, the lens still work ok in manual focus? I can also vouch for Eric, he's great with the service and very forthcoming about his work and the turnaround time is great.

Good Luck!
Pete,
03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi I.M.,

Just to cover all bases, is the focus ring pushed forward exposing "Auto Focus" right above the distance scale window, and are you sure that the aperture ring is set in the "A" position (push the button, move it off "A", work the aperture ring back and forth, then return it to the "A" position remembering to push the button again)? In the pic that you posted, it doesn't look like the aperture ring is in the "A" position. . . more like f16 or so. . .

I'd also make sure that the contacts are clean on both the camera body and lens.

The FA* 300/4.5 "focus clutch" actually detaches the AF screw in the lens from engaging the body's screw drive and ID's the lens as an MF lens to the body (that's why Focus Trap works with this lens without shorting the Data Pin). It's also possible that disuse has caused a bad contact internally in the "A" position, and working the ring might either loosen something that might have frozen or re-establish some needed internal contact.

Probably won't make a difference, but it won't cost anything to try. . .

Scott
03-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi I.M.,

Just to cover all bases, is the focus ring pushed forward exposing "Auto Focus" right above the distance scale window, and are you sure that the aperture ring is set in the "A" position (push the button, move it off "A", work the aperture ring back and forth, then return it to the "A" position remembering to push the button again)? In the pic that you posted, it doesn't look like the aperture ring is in the "A" position. . . more like f16 or so. . .

I'd also make sure that the contacts are clean on both the camera body and lens.

The FA* 300/4.5 "focus clutch" actually detaches the AF screw in the lens from engaging the body's screw drive and ID's the lens as an MF lens to the body (that's why Focus Trap works with this lens without shorting the Data Pin). It's also possible that disuse has caused a bad contact internally in the "A" position, and working the ring might either loosen something that might have frozen or re-establish some needed internal contact.

Probably won't make a difference, but it won't cost anything to try. . .

Scott
Yeah, tried all of that. Moved the lens in and out of AF mode, fiddled with the aperture for quite some time, did a number of tests, cleaned contacts, all no good.

Good news is, the lens focuses fine in manual and I emailed Eric, who said it would be about $100 to repair.

So I think I'm going to go that route. $100 for this lens is grand larceny.

Thanks for the input folks! Much appreciated.
03-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i.m.fildes Quote
So I think I'm going to go that route. $100 for this lens is grand larceny.

You got that right, wow, what a truck load of good fortune
03-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

may we ask what are the other Pentax goods your college is giving away? is it your college (school) or colleague ( associate) ?
03-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Nice!