Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PE, Canada
Posts: 22
Broken FA*300 4.5...what do?

Hi folks

I just got my hands on a broken FA* 300 4.5

Basically the autofocus does not work, nor does the aperture (wont stop down in A mode or otherwise)

Essentially I'm wondering if this is worth finding out whats wrong with it and fixing it, or should I try to get rid of it "as is"

Does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to fix such problems? I got the lens for free so I probably wouldn't mind putting a little cash into this ugly duckling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

03-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,284
It is likely repairable unless you see obvious outside dents or the glass is damaged. If you don't want to get it fixed I would be glad to take it off your hands.
03-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 54
That is a spectacular lens. Take it to Pentax and have them fix it.
03-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by i.m.fildes Quote
Hi folks

I just got my hands on a broken FA* 300 4.5

Basically the autofocus does not work, nor does the aperture (wont stop down in A mode or otherwise)

Essentially I'm wondering if this is worth finding out whats wrong with it and fixing it, or should I try to get rid of it "as is"

Does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to fix such problems? I got the lens for free so I probably wouldn't mind putting a little cash into this ugly duckling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
pretty odd someone would give it to you for free unless the person is family, an old retired individual who lost interest in photography, or finally the lens is really in bad shape.

the aperture blades are probably stuck and autofocus mechanism might had failed whether the electronics or the gears. you might want to consider contacting Pentax if they can do something about it and how much is the cost. if it doesn't work out for you, I'll be willing to take it from you.

03-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PE, Canada
Posts: 22
Original Poster
I received it through My college, who got it with a load of other pentax gear. The college uses primarily Canon products and had no interest in a broken Pentax lens.

There is a bit of a dent on the barrel, I've attached a photo of the dent.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HTC Vision  Photo 
03-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,944
It's probably just severed a wire. I'm sure it can be fixed for a couple hundred dollars.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,998
Email Eric Henderson at Pentax Camera Service - he repairs older film bodies and lenses.
03-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member
FotoPete's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,710
oi, that is a painful sight, the lens still work ok in manual focus? I can also vouch for Eric, he's great with the service and very forthcoming about his work and the turnaround time is great.

Good Luck!
Pete,

03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
Hi I.M.,

Just to cover all bases, is the focus ring pushed forward exposing "Auto Focus" right above the distance scale window, and are you sure that the aperture ring is set in the "A" position (push the button, move it off "A", work the aperture ring back and forth, then return it to the "A" position remembering to push the button again)? In the pic that you posted, it doesn't look like the aperture ring is in the "A" position. . . more like f16 or so. . .

I'd also make sure that the contacts are clean on both the camera body and lens.

The FA* 300/4.5 "focus clutch" actually detaches the AF screw in the lens from engaging the body's screw drive and ID's the lens as an MF lens to the body (that's why Focus Trap works with this lens without shorting the Data Pin). It's also possible that disuse has caused a bad contact internally in the "A" position, and working the ring might either loosen something that might have frozen or re-establish some needed internal contact.

Probably won't make a difference, but it won't cost anything to try. . .

Scott
03-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PE, Canada
Posts: 22
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi I.M.,

Just to cover all bases, is the focus ring pushed forward exposing "Auto Focus" right above the distance scale window, and are you sure that the aperture ring is set in the "A" position (push the button, move it off "A", work the aperture ring back and forth, then return it to the "A" position remembering to push the button again)? In the pic that you posted, it doesn't look like the aperture ring is in the "A" position. . . more like f16 or so. . .

I'd also make sure that the contacts are clean on both the camera body and lens.

The FA* 300/4.5 "focus clutch" actually detaches the AF screw in the lens from engaging the body's screw drive and ID's the lens as an MF lens to the body (that's why Focus Trap works with this lens without shorting the Data Pin). It's also possible that disuse has caused a bad contact internally in the "A" position, and working the ring might either loosen something that might have frozen or re-establish some needed internal contact.

Probably won't make a difference, but it won't cost anything to try. . .

Scott
Yeah, tried all of that. Moved the lens in and out of AF mode, fiddled with the aperture for quite some time, did a number of tests, cleaned contacts, all no good.

Good news is, the lens focuses fine in manual and I emailed Eric, who said it would be about $100 to repair.

So I think I'm going to go that route. $100 for this lens is grand larceny.

Thanks for the input folks! Much appreciated.
03-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by i.m.fildes Quote
So I think I'm going to go that route. $100 for this lens is grand larceny.

.
You got that right, wow, what a truck load of good fortune
03-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
may we ask what are the other Pentax goods your college is giving away? is it your college (school) or colleague ( associate) ?
03-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 54
Nice!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens is broken: broken mount nemo9439 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 08-27-2010 09:52 AM
I'm Traveling, Want Inexpensive Telephoto Zooms : Pentax 55-300 Or Sigma 70-300 APO Christopher M.W.T Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 32 01-01-2010 07:48 PM
TESTED: Pentax 55-300 vs. Sigma 70-300 vs. Tamron 70-300 falconeye Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 05-14-2009 04:01 PM
Broken dreams, broken camera brkl Post Your Photos! 3 03-10-2009 05:08 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top